The Expanse

Discuss all non Star Trek related topics here.
NCC1966
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

The Expanse

Post by NCC1966 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:02 am

Not sure but I think that someone has started a thread for this show but I couldn't find it so here it goes a new one!

The case is that I am trying hard to keep watching it but it's not being easy. Got the end of the third episode and didn't get hooked so far. And I believe I won't because normally I get into mostly of sci-fi shows right in the pilot.

The characters are weak, the writing is bad and the direction is at most suffering. The story is confusing and don't have consistency. The actors are all of second class and have a crappy acting. No one of them seem to believe in the role. The only good thing are the effects but sincerely I don't see this show surviving for too long.

Actually not a big surprise being a spawn from SyFy... geez they keep just repeating the same mistakes on and on and on.

:?
Thanks,

Yan.

TonyG2
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Re: The Expanse

Post by TonyG2 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:34 pm

Watched all season 1 on DVD and looking forward to season 2, which will be at least 3 episodes longer.

Special effects are excellent and takes a more realistic approach to space travel (the sublight "rocket" model as opposed to starships) although they have had to create a fancy fusion drive (the Epstein drive) to make things work and ships fly at a constant 1g acceleration etc.

Not a lot of big name actors but they make a fair go of it. I don't particularly like the made up "Belter" language however. Given the plot switches between the criminal investigation on Ceres, political intrigue on Earth and the survivors of the Canterbury trying to, well, survive and find out who nuked their ship and why, it probably does need to have more attention paid than to the standard single story per episode of most SF on TV (even those with an attempt at an arc plot). In that it is more like Babylon 5 with a defined beginning middle and end. After all it is an adaptation of a very good SF novel and just the first in the series.

I rate it as being better than Game of Thrones for a transfer from novel to screen.

Worth looking at the Atomic Rockets "seal of approval" article.

http://www.projectrho.com/public_html/r ... he_Expanse

NCC1966
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by NCC1966 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:24 pm

The promise of "at least 3 episodes" for the season 2 is a sign that the show has not too much hope to survive!

:P

I didn't know that there is a Expanse book so I cannot tell about the "screen transfer"... (I am not a reader). Anyway, I am not planning to continue watching as it already should have get me going at this point.

Nonetheless I am glad to know that it pleases someone though!

:D
Thanks,

Yan.

TonyG2
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Post by TonyG2 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:46 am

To clarify, Season 1 is ten episodes long. Season 2 is at least 13 episodes long. Hence "three episodes longer" not that it only managed three episodes.

The novel series is up to 6 books so far with a further three planned. Now I can't say I am confident that it will last out and all 9 novels will make it to the screen, but I think we will see additional seasons yet. Both seasons so far have received good reviews (granted not without some criticism of the made up language that features strongly in the series).

NCC1966
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by NCC1966 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:25 am

Wow, it sounds great!

:o

I would like to had been hooked by this but I really found the whole thing very weak. I think that the problem is me!

:lol:
Thanks,

Yan.

TonyG2
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Post by TonyG2 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:39 am

How far in are you? Joking aside its one I really would suggest trying to stick with. Although as with nearly everything its a matter of personal taste and it would be horrible if we were all alike in those tastes. Could you imagine a world where the only tv show was Keeping up with the Kardashians.... :shock:

Episode 4 includes the first really major space battle of the show and it is really something. There are no beam weapons in The Expanse so it is all missiles and mass drivers, usually fired at significant distance. So there is a pause after ships have fired when they wait to see if they have hit anything. A bit like a WWII torpedo engagement. Then the frantic attempts to knock down incoming ordinance with point defence weapons. Even the most powerful ship in the solar system is vulnerable to a lucky hit. No shields. Just armour.

Than again, there have been plenty of shows I just couldn't get into or gave up on.

I managed to the second or third episode of Lost's second season and gave up.
I didn't even get to the end of the first season of Walking Dead.
Gave up early on with Revolution
I haven't watched Game of Thrones beyond season 3.

I also gave up early on Fringe but a friend encouraged me to give it another go and I ended up liking it a lot.

NCC1966
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by NCC1966 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:42 pm

Man, you are my hero to have gotten through the whole first season of Lost! Few time ago I started to watch it along with my wife but right in the second or third episode I suspected that it wasn't going anywhere. Lucky mine that I decided to try the show when it is already canceled then I googled about just to know that 5 years after the finale fans are still trying to figure out things. Don't need to tell that I abandoned it immediately!

:?

I gave up Revolution in the half middle of the first season. Not even the chicken guy from BB could get me hooked!

:lol:

Now you will never like TWD if you cannot see beyond heads being chopped off because the show isn't about this. I won't enter in details because it's something you have to figure out by yourself. Nonetheless IMO it's going too far and I think that the show should have been canceled one or two seasons ago. But the producers are talking about go further than 10th or so. Ouch! I don't know if I can keep following it this far.

Now about GoT... it was really exciting in the beginning (although I always found it confusing) but it felt in the same trap as mostly of long shows: it got lost. This is the danger of modern series that have a novel aspect and based in a big arc story. There is no writer able to sparkle out an ingenuous thread forever. He/she can go finely for a certain time but sooner or later will run out of surprises and will start to run in circles. That's when the show becomes boring. From my point of view I think that networks should kill shows one or two seasons before it happens to give to the series a honored end.

I still am watching TWD and GoT because my wifes does. She is more focused in the characters than in the story so it doesn't matter if the story is going anywhere since the people are there.

:roll:

For me a good show must have the right balance of good characters, good story and good production. It can not be obvious or silly too. That's what I look for when I start watching a series.

About The Expanse I will give it a break for a while. I watched it until the point that the young cop was impaled (end of episode 3). I confess that I got curious about the space battle you mentioned but it won't change too much the fact that I don't see a commitment of the actors with the characters and neither the fact that the storyline is too "loose" for me.

I won't delete it from my HD just now and maybe I'll await to see how far SyFy goes with it.

:)
Thanks,

Yan.

jkb-1
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by jkb-1 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:02 pm

We're 10 episodes in to Syfy's second season, and I would suggest anyone wanting to give it a second chance start with the first four episodes of the second season, hoping you can pick up the background. These come from the end of the first book, I'm told, and talk about your rising action! (Does this mean the second season won't get to the end of the second book, even tho it is longer? I could hope that the show eventually gets released in "book" sets rather than season sets, but we're moving beyond releases in sets altogether.)

NCC1966
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by NCC1966 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:09 pm

Well if the books are kind of independent among themselves AND the network obey this it would be very good news. It made me think about one thing that I don't know why SyFy has never thought about... being they a channel that historically abandon shows they already should notice that there is still a lot of homework to be done before to get into bigger enterprises. A way of do that would be do baby steps, in this case try to produce mini-series instead multi-seasoned series just like History channel had done lately (Harley and the Davidsons; Roots; etc; for instances). It is both secure for the network as well for the audience. Also it would help to bring back the trust of p1ssed watchers (like me) to the channel.

:)

Unfortunately I doubt it happens because seems that the channel executives aren't too much smart.
Thanks,

Yan.

jkb-1
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by jkb-1 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:22 pm

There are bound to be pacing problems in adapting a book one would read over the course of a week (I think the Expanse books are too thick for the classic all-nighter!) into a TV series that runs three months. I do wonder how five nights at three episodes each of The Expanse would run.

-- Oh< I just remembered, Syfy has done miniseries, Frank Herbert's Dune books way back, Farmer's Riverworld, and they threatened to do Niven's Ringworld, too, and recently Arthur C. Clarke's Childhood's End. --

But what I was thinking was that many classic SF "novels" are actually fix-ups of short story series: Isaac Asimov's Foundation Trilogy or I, Robot to Joe Haldeman's The Forever War. These might be adapted one a week for a series designed to only last a season or two or three.

Return to “Off Topic”