Official tales of woe / pick-me-up thread

Discuss all non Star Trek related topics here.
Moongrim
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Re: Official tales of woe / pick-me-up thread

Post by Moongrim »

Weaning myself off of antidepressants. The docs have no clue about how long it takes. They say 1-3 weeks of discomfort.

I've been off 8 months. With no end in sight. I've learned to deal with the anxiety attacks and the panic attacks. The dizziness comes and goes. What's been killing me? The Cortisol surges in the middle of the night. It's what will wake you up from a nightmare with your heart pounding and make it difficult to fall asleep for a long while. I get those surges- for every dream. Thus I have a lack of dreaming/restful sleep. And I've been getting these surges for months. I've gotten the occasional window where they go away for a day or two, and I start to feel better. Then they come back and it's crappy times again.

On Surviving Antidepressants- I read of folks going through such withdrawals for longer than I am. I'm not unusual. I could reinstate- but from what I've read it'll take months to stabilize again. And then I go back to the problems that inspired me to get off of them in the first place.
There are Times, Sir, when men of good Conscience cannot blindly follow orders. You acknowledge their sentience, but ignore their personal liberties and freedoms. Order a man to hand over his child to the state? Not while I"m captain.
- J.L.Picard.
DefiantClient
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by DefiantClient »

I remember having some similar symptoms to you, but it was definitely under very different circumstances. I've been off anti depressents since high school. I've gone back to therapy when I was unable to sleep for almost a week straight about five years ago. I'm glad I went back. I try to be as open with my therapist as I'm comforatable being and he's helpful to have an outside of my friends and family conversation about my emotions. The more extreme emotions are tough for me to sort out myself and it took me not sleeping for a week to really seek help.

I'm thankfully in a better place, but nothing is perfect. I hope you're getting good help with your situation. Sounds like you're getting there man.
Moongrim
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by Moongrim »

DefiantClient wrote:I remember having some similar symptoms to you, but it was definitely under very different circumstances. I've been off anti depressents since high school. I've gone back to therapy when I was unable to sleep for almost a week straight about five years ago. I'm glad I went back. I try to be as open with my therapist as I'm comforatable being and he's helpful to have an outside of my friends and family conversation about my emotions. The more extreme emotions are tough for me to sort out myself and it took me not sleeping for a week to really seek help.

I'm thankfully in a better place, but nothing is perfect. I hope you're getting good help with your situation. Sounds like you're getting there man.
Thanks.

Slowly. Haltingly. Wish me luck.
There are Times, Sir, when men of good Conscience cannot blindly follow orders. You acknowledge their sentience, but ignore their personal liberties and freedoms. Order a man to hand over his child to the state? Not while I"m captain.
- J.L.Picard.
Serin019
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by Serin019 »

My workstation, which I named Alan - the rig I've been doing all my 3d work over the last year is dead. I believe the liquid cooler on the CPU decided to die randomly and may have cooked the 5960x at the pc's heart, or at least roasted it at 94 degrees c for the time it takes to make a coffee.
Not even sure about the motherboard and can pretty much assume that since I bought it *stupidly* from the US that I'll never get it repaired or replaced, assuming there is damage.

Set up old 3570k pc with the workstation's titan x GPU. Plays games ok but can't do 3d work for !!!!!!!! unless its just like a tiny low-polygon asset.
Can't work on any of the ships, stations or awesome bridge sets I've been making...
Cooler and CPU are off for indeterminate amount of time for RMA. Hoping it was the coolers fault. Otherwise I'm doomed.

Someone needs to start an instant replacement service for computer components. Or suicide booths. Either would work.
DefiantClient
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by DefiantClient »

I fear this happening to my rig.
Serin019
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by Serin019 »

DefiantClient wrote:I fear this happening to my rig.
Happily most critical components like the CPU usually come with a warranty that extends to what should be the time to refresh the build with new components.
But yeah... I lived in fear of something going wonko, now I think I'm going to be a little less paranoid about it since its finally gone wonko.
DefiantClient
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by DefiantClient »

Microcenter will pretty much replace anything of mine for the next couple years, but I know almost nothing about how to troubleshoot issues beyong googling problems. My Microcenter has a great diagnostic staff though.
MEATLOAFr
Velutinous Vice Admiral
Velutinous Vice Admiral

Post by MEATLOAFr »

DefiantClient wrote:I fear this happening to my rig.
I've had similar, sub-processor fan stopped working - went to play a game and cooked it good

when I tracked it down I found the ship had cracked and scorched the motherboard
If the world ends tomorrow, it's ALL YOUR FAULT!!!
Custom Decals, and Vinyl Cutting services available
ABLE TO PRINT DECALS IN WHITE
NOW ABLE TO 3D PRINT SMALL SCALE MODELS (ANYCUBIC PHOTON & MONO X) have STL, will print!!
Serin019
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by Serin019 »

Just got word that I'll be getting a replacement 5960X CPU.
SO MUCH RELIEF!
Kind of amusing to think about the little chip that costs 1500 just being a useless brick now.

So I guess its a tale of woe and pick me up story. Huh.
MEATLOAFr
Velutinous Vice Admiral
Velutinous Vice Admiral

Post by MEATLOAFr »

Serin019 wrote:Just got word that I'll be getting a replacement 5960X CPU.
SO MUCH RELIEF!
Kind of amusing to think about the little chip that costs 1500 just being a useless brick now.

So I guess its a tale of woe and pick me up story. Huh.
cast it in clear resin - use it as a paper weight

oh the memories...
If the world ends tomorrow, it's ALL YOUR FAULT!!!
Custom Decals, and Vinyl Cutting services available
ABLE TO PRINT DECALS IN WHITE
NOW ABLE TO 3D PRINT SMALL SCALE MODELS (ANYCUBIC PHOTON & MONO X) have STL, will print!!

Return to “Off Topic”