Official Current Pet Peeves Thread

Discuss all non Star Trek related topics here.
NCC1966
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Re: Official Current Pet Peeves Thread

Post by NCC1966 »

Moongrim wrote:Or- I carefully add a few extra items into their cart.
Loved this approach. Have to try it very soon!

:mrgreen:
Thanks,

Yan.
NCC1966
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by NCC1966 »

I may nave not mentioned before that I print these pinup and vintage images that I grab from Internet, stick it over MDF plates with white glue, then trim with a hobby knife and apply a couple double face tape at the back to fix it on the wall. I started doing it for decorate my office but then people started to ask me to make it to them and now I run a small online business where I sell them.

Here it is a couple snapshots from my office:

Regardless the horrible quality of my mobile camera, the result is really nice!

Anyway yesterday I walked in the quick printshop (I am being sarcastic with "quick") to print some colored pictures on couché paper. Not a lot of work, just 16 sheets of paper (13 from a file and 3 from another PDF) so it's basically to open the PDFs and send to the printer and the machine prints it in one minute or two. So it's normally a quick stop there and I thought that it would be super-fast because yesterday had only one person so I would be the next.

Guys, I may have been there for 20 minutes to a half hour. The new girl (they change them all the time) had to send the job for three or four different machines, so suddenly she stopped to do my stuff and started to do other (don't know why) then came back to my stuff and did it all over again, etc. And then the queue started to grow behind me. Every time she was sending my job for a different machine I had to run the closest as possible of her monitor (I was at the other side of the counter) to be sure that she didn't forget to check the option "actual size" (that is a MUST for me) because all those print services has the awful habit to keep the "adjust to the page" option as default. After a while the girls learn that all MY jobs are "actual size" and at certain point I don't need to warn them anymore but then when they are well trained the boss go and replace the team. Oh my...

And, before I forget, at the end and after the job is done it was another novel to PAY for the service!!!! I couldn't find any explanation for this.

Ouch!

:roll:
Thanks,

Yan.
trekriffic
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by trekriffic »

Moongrim wrote:Or- I carefully add a few extra items into their cart. I'd noticed the puzzled look on their face when a very old man is contemplating why exactly he had a box of condoms...and his wife isn't looking too pleased about it either.
LMAOROTFL

:rofl2:
"You broke your little ships."

My albums on flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/29607470@N08/sets/
Tesral
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Tesral »

"Laughtracking". People that type out laughter. "ha ha." in the middle of their text. I realize that text does not easily convey emotion. However, this is another one of those apparent intelligence lowering activities.

Better to learn to express emotion though context. Good writers have been doing it for centuries.
Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
"I saw it done on Voyager" is no excuse for anything, even breathing.
Richard Baker
Lemme At Em Lieutenant
Lemme At Em Lieutenant

Post by Richard Baker »

Tesral wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:53 pm "Laughtracking". People that type out laughter. "ha ha." in the middle of their text. I realize that text does not easily convey emotion. However, this is another one of those apparent intelligence lowering activities.

Better to learn to express emotion though context. Good writers have been doing it for centuries.
Subset- people dropping emojis into the middle of a text.
I have to stop reading, look at the stupid emoji, try to interpret the emoji (in the context of our conversation) and then if I can make sense of it proceed to the following line of text. Some emojis are simple and easy to figure out, some do not make any sense and I must assume to be either the wrong one or my friend is having a really eclectic thought process this time.
Tesral
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Tesral »

All my swords of exact zero are missing. Every frigging one except the one on my desk.
MEATLOAFr
Velutinous Vice Admiral
Velutinous Vice Admiral

Post by MEATLOAFr »

Tesral wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:26 pm All my swords of exact zero are missing. Every frigging one except the one on my desk.
Let’s hope they are found safely- ER visits are not fun
If the world ends tomorrow, it's ALL YOUR FAULT!!!
Custom Decals, and Vinyl Cutting services available
ABLE TO PRINT DECALS IN WHITE
NOW ABLE TO 3D PRINT SMALL SCALE MODELS (ANYCUBIC PHOTON & MONO X) have STL, will print!!
Tesral
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Tesral »

The battery in the van decided to die yesterday. It skip[ed the vicious cold if two weeks ago and picked plain old cold. Well as by Dad said. "They last until the don't". Well the thing was four to six years old.

The truly unpleasant part? Apparently batteries for 3.5 liter engines are heavy! And do not come for under 100 bucks. UGH! That was a hit the household budget did not need. I'm glad I don't have one of those Ford F-150 5 liter monsters.
slawton
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by slawton »

I don't know if it just happened to me locally, or it was more broad. I was watching the Star Wars marathon on TNT yesterday and the commercials were on overdose. There was your normal 10-15 minute commercial breaks which showed up between scenes. But in addition, there would be 1 or 2 commercials that happened within a scene mid-sentence. To make matters worse, it was like the movie kept playing as the commercials ran, missing out on key moments. For instance, the Emperor is blasting Luke with force lightning, then a commercial interruption. When the movie returns, we see Luke next to a dying Darth Vader/Anakin Skywalker. Just skip over perhaps the most important scene in the movie - I just turned off then TV right then.
I'm a modeler, not a doctor...

Introduction
Galleries: Member, Comparison, Fleet, Action, Manufacturer
Tesral
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Tesral »

slawton wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:28 pm When the movie returns, we see Luke next to a dying Darth Vader/Anakin Skywalker. Just skip over perhaps the most important scene in the movie - I just turned off then TV right then.
Cutting huge chunks at random for their additional commercials. Our local channel 50 did that to Star Trek back in that day. It STILL sucks. Get the DVD.

Return to “Off Topic”