Shapeways FUD price reduction (mostly)

Buy, Sell or Trade.
shiftdel
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Shapeways FUD price reduction (mostly)

Post by shiftdel » Fri May 26, 2017 2:42 am

SW has changed its cost model for FUD and FXD materials, with this, all of my models had a price reduction, in some cases, quite significant. In some cases, there were an increase, but to compensate, I did a reduction on my markup, so there is no price increase for my models.

For some ships, FUD is becoming affordable and competitive (Acrylics are not an option anymore, as FUD is now cheaper and with better quality).

Hossfly72
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Re: Shapeways FUD price reduction (mostly)

Post by Hossfly72 » Fri May 26, 2017 3:25 am

IMG_1584.JPG
IMG_1584.JPG (16.11 KiB) Viewed 1476 times
i don't know. I'm making it up as I go.

Dr_Corsa
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Post by Dr_Corsa » Fri May 26, 2017 7:49 am

Hey,

can You make a 1/1400 scale Hutzel Heavy Cruiser? In this case You were the first one with this ship in Your shop...

Greeting,
Michael
Genuine decals addicted
1/1400 scale modeller

shiftdel
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by shiftdel » Fri May 26, 2017 2:39 pm

Dr_Corsa wrote:..can You make a 1/1400 scale Hutzel Heavy Cruiser? In this case You were the first one with this ship in Your shop...
Michael, I can, but it would require a general redesign of the ship, as the level of detail on the model was done to fit the 1/2500 scale or smaller; simply enlarge it would not work, so I would need to increase considerably the poly count, and split it in parts to make it as hollow as the materials guidelines permit, as a solid model would be quite pricey.

I will add this on my requests list, but lately my spare time is scarce, so you may expect some time to see it finished.

marcnoonan
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by marcnoonan » Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:52 pm

Just to give you a sense of the scale of the price changes here's the old and new prices for a solid and hollowed 1/3125 Voyager which is 10.79cm long

https://www.shapeways.com/model/3dtools ... e69d1d4629

Old FUD Old FXD New FUD New FXD
Solid £69.28 £115.55 £29.00 £42.54
Hollow £47.45 £78.10 £26.69 £39.42

As you can see there's a huge drop in price, but because they are now charging for support material, hollowing makes less of an impact on the price and the solid FXD is now cheaper than the old FUD hollowed options Win Win!!!

This will now also bring 3D printed models in FUD, especially in the 10-15 cm range, more in-line with resin models price-wise. :D :D :D :D

Marc
My Shapeways Shop
http://www.shapeways.com/shops/1/2500%2 ... e-products

Gallery
http://www.shapeways.com/designer/marcnoonan
If there's any model of anything you want that's not available anywhere.....send me a PM.

shiftdel
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by shiftdel » Fri Jun 09, 2017 5:42 pm

I had not noticed that difference on hollowed and solid FUD models, I did a testing and for bigger models it won't apply, they will still be more expensive than hollowed models (but not a big difference), but smaller models definitely are cheaper when solid.

Return to “Classifieds”