1/1000 Excelsior based scout - DONE!

Each participant will have their own Work in Progress thread, which will be updated as the contest progresses. Please note that spectators aren't allowed to start new threads, but can reply to existing ones.
Steam235
Captain USS December
Captain USS December

1/1000 Excelsior based scout - DONE!

Post by Steam235 »

The USS Willow.

An Excelsior Era scout ship. Built out of an Excelsior Saucer section and a Pylons intended as alternatives for the 1701 C 1/1400 ship

First Idea. Impulse engines become a shuttle bay. The pylons face down.

Or Pylons facing up.....

I also plan to investigate using the engineering hull to build out the body from the saucer.

ImageImage

This would require the alot of blending to mage the impulse engines fade into that rounded hull. but then I could make a proper shuttle bay at the back.

I will also look at making that hull much shorter so that there might be a Voyager style landing pad outside the shuttle bay doors.

Note:
I may decide to buy a 1701 B kit. For two reasons. First the Scarcity of the Excelsior model. I may decided I want the opportunity to build a NCC-2000 some time. Two the additional impulse engines would make alot of sense with my design as the central impulse engines may become a shuttle bay or be lost in the transition to the extended hull. I do not feel that that substitution would alter the design or flavor of ship I am presenting here.

I am also unsure of Nacelles, The nacelles that came with the Excelsior are long lost. If I buy a 1701 B kit I would use those nacelles.

Other Nacelle Alternatives I am considering:

1. Modular Models, replacement Nacelles, Or well I'm not sure what else to use. I have an old amt 537 refit and a 1400 1701 E that I could steal nacelles from but that would be off era and off scale.

I hope that this submission meets your criteria. I know that I have presented several paths I may follow, but all focus on some primary ideas.

1. An Excelsior or Excelsior Refit Saucer with the Alternative Angled Pylons attached to the rear.

2. A small ship which if it has an Engineering hull is very small and attached inline to the saucer.
patrickivan
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Re: 1/1000 Excelsior based scout

Post by patrickivan »

I think the second to last image gives you the opportunity to use the secondary hull in the most creative way that makes it less obviously just a rearranged part.

For a scout, it seems a little large still. Are you planning on changing the ship scale to reflect it being a smaller ship than the excellsior? Eg, a larger bridge module, windows, and maybe a single deck rim?

Regardless, it looks like a neat concept. I actually liked most of the arrangements you were toying with there.
Moongrim
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by Moongrim »

Each picture has an option to it that is indeed intriguing.

As I recall, the Wolf 359 ships, some of them had warp engines that were essentially modified highlighter pens. And don't forget that the Curry Class Excelsior Variant had some outsized engines herself.
https://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Curry_type

https://fc00.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2010/ ... derion.jpg

Just some thoughts.
There are Times, Sir, when men of good Conscience cannot blindly follow orders. You acknowledge their sentience, but ignore their personal liberties and freedoms. Order a man to hand over his child to the state? Not while I"m captain.
- J.L.Picard.
patrickivan
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by patrickivan »

^
Exactly. I've used highlighters for my excelsior bash too. I was never able to look at pens and highlighters the same since I found out they used it. Chyenne was it?
Moongrim
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by Moongrim »

Cheyenne, yeah I think so.

https://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/articles/cheyenne.htm

Now if I could just find out which Brand of highlighter!
Last edited by Moongrim on Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There are Times, Sir, when men of good Conscience cannot blindly follow orders. You acknowledge their sentience, but ignore their personal liberties and freedoms. Order a man to hand over his child to the state? Not while I"m captain.
- J.L.Picard.
MEATLOAFr
Velutinous Vice Admiral
Velutinous Vice Admiral

Post by MEATLOAFr »

Moongrim wrote:Cheyenne, yeah I think so.

Now if I could just find out which Brand of highlighter!
They're the Schwan Stabilo highlighter's
If the world ends tomorrow, it's ALL YOUR FAULT!!!
Custom Decals, and Vinyl Cutting services available
ABLE TO PRINT DECALS IN WHITE
NOW ABLE TO 3D PRINT SMALL SCALE MODELS (ANYCUBIC PHOTON & MONO X) have STL, will print!!
Moongrim
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by Moongrim »

Thanks Meatloafr :D
- J.L.Picard.
Cullenszoo
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Post by Cullenszoo »

I'd love to see how far you've gotten. I personally think the lower hull would look better turned back where the nav. deflector circle was facing forward. just MHO.
Building hand painted dust collectors since 1977
DouglasGlenn
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Post by DouglasGlenn »

You've got some great ideas there. Actually, I think if that deflector hole were somewhat reshaped it would make a great shuttlebay... Looking forward to seeing what direction you end up going with it.
Steam235
Captain USS December
Captain USS December

Post by Steam235 »

I have finalized the shape of the ship. The nacelles have caused a case of writers block. so It think I"m just chopping up the parts I have left of the Excelsiors nacelles to make something.

Return to “TBG Contest Entries”