Klingon K'tinga DONE!

Each participant will have their own Work in Progress thread, which will be updated as the contest progresses. Please note that spectators aren't allowed to start new threads, but can reply to existing ones.
Cullenszoo
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Klingon K'tinga DONE!

Post by Cullenszoo »

For my contest entry I chose the Klingon K'tinga kit by AMT. I first opened the box a while back and did some research for reference photos. Well boys and girls, good color photos are slim to none. That meant I would be left to my own devices when it came to paint colors. The photos on the box leave much to be desired. I put off building the kit until I had time to stew over my choices. Thankfully this contest has motivated me to crack the box back open and get to work.
First, the sub-assemblies. If your like me, I prefer to look at the sub-assemblies as mini models. Each needing special attention to detail. That also keeps my model ADD in check by working on one part, then the next, then the next and so on.

I went with Testors MM gunship grey for the base coat. First the bridge section.
I'm using some Applebarn brand craft acrylics for the different shades of grey. The tower is Olive drab in the first pic but I decided to lighten it up and change to interior green.

While the bridge dried I moved onto the main body. I used the same light grey color to fill in the surface with all the tiles.

The bulb under the bridge gets a stripe of Euro I grey through the middle. Light grey for the tiles. The windows were molded really poorly so I decided to cut them off. I have a different plan for the windows.
Here's a shot from the front showing the dark grey.

The kit really moves along at this stage but I'm sure the most time consuming part is yet to come. Hand painting all those panels.
Last edited by Cullenszoo on Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Building hand painted dust collectors since 1977
Moongrim
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Re: Klingon K'tinga

Post by Moongrim »

Treating each subassembly as a separate model.
That's a good way of looking at it. I shall emulate that with my models from here on.

Rough Guess, I'd say you're gonna beat me out, already. Still gonna try though. :)
There are Times, Sir, when men of good Conscience cannot blindly follow orders. You acknowledge their sentience, but ignore their personal liberties and freedoms. Order a man to hand over his child to the state? Not while I"m captain.
- J.L.Picard.
Cullenszoo
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Post by Cullenszoo »

Oh, I don't know moon. in my case the only serious creativity is the paint choices. I really don't envy the judges cause every entry so far has plenty of merit.
Moongrim
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by Moongrim »

I'd say your painting is progressing along nicely so far. Steady hand.
There are Times, Sir, when men of good Conscience cannot blindly follow orders. You acknowledge their sentience, but ignore their personal liberties and freedoms. Order a man to hand over his child to the state? Not while I"m captain.
- J.L.Picard.
Cullenszoo
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Post by Cullenszoo »

So I started out with OD green on the bridge dome and had done the same thing to the panels on the neck. I figured I better change them to interior green as well. the stripe down the middle was painted light grey to match the head and body panel section. there are times I swear the pics on the box are changing colors on me.
I also went ahead and assembled the impulse/docking bay/whatever it is for the back. I used the same light grey to lighten up the center section. I figure once I finish with details and weathering the contrast wont be so great. plus there's some green on there too.
now my field is all set for the green. the nacelles were pretty plain looking so I think some extra details and plenty of weathering should liven them right up.
Cullenszoo
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Post by Cullenszoo »

Here are some update pics.
I'm working on the panels and they seem to be working out as they should. they aren't exactly like the ones pictured on the box but they are pretty close.
The neck and bridge section are almost finished. I have been using left over decals from a polar lights 1/1000 TOS enterprise. oddly enough they seem to be close to the right scale.
I've also done some work on the hump.
DouglasGlenn
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Post by DouglasGlenn »

Gotta love that ship. I remember all that surface detail blew me away when I saw ST:TMP on opening day in, what was it, 1979?
Moongrim
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by Moongrim »

So.....
how's it going? :?:
- J.L.Picard.
Cullenszoo
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Re: Klingon K'tinga DONE!

Post by Cullenszoo »

Return to “TBG Contest Entries”