What is this message?

Work in progress, completed builds and general 1/350 related discussion.
davidluna9999
Erratic Ensign
Erratic Ensign

What is this message?

Post by davidluna9999 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:27 pm

I am going to do another build of the 1/350 TOS. I have the new kit with the smooth saucer. Having just been to the Smithsonian NASM, I spent about an hour just studying the original model for research.

So, I have a mystery on my hands, and I probably most likely have not done a correct search, or just don't know how to ask Google.

If I don't hear from members, I will have to email Smithsonian directly.... So, does anyone know what this is supposed to say? My phone camera could not pick it up, and everyone I asked (young and old alike) couldn't make it out from our position outside it's controlled environment.......Thanks for any help you can offer.....
Question Picture.jpg
Question Picture.jpg (65.13 KiB) Viewed 503 times

kobayashimaru
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Re: What is this message?

Post by kobayashimaru » Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:34 am

that's great to hear you'll be taking on a 350 Connie.

there was a site dedicated to the 1:350 restoration project
it had thousands of closeup photos and comparisons.
I recommend checking that out. :borg:
There was also a 60minutes special webisode on the restoration project.

Mark Myers aka JimKirk also has an extensive photoref collection and schematics.
The restoration project was one of the most detailed restorations to date,
they recreated many of the construction techniques used in the original 350 model exactingly.

The resistor-shaped decal beneath the nacelle-strut,
appears to be 'an ejector port'. I believe there is one on each side.
What does it eject? It appears to eject plasma etc from the nacelle-strut part of the system.
(according to Jackill and several other cross sections parts).

It seems to be a different way to vent drive plasma than from the bussards or the nacelle part,
or in main engineering. presumably, to 'sacrifice' the strut but possibly save the nacelle outright.
the Refit and original Connie appear unable to eject the warp-core itself, though can eject other parts of the system.
whereas in ST:Voy and ST:TNG Movies, those ships are shown as being capable of ejecting the core itself.

-----
extrinsically;
I dont believe it's for the model-operators as a "Resistor here" decal instruction,
if they were powering or mounting the 350 model on a different hoist for different views.
nor do i think its one of the several locations of "makers-marks"/"author signing their work".
(there are some inside the saucer and on the paperweight/glass marble of the bussard).
I also don't think there are any ships markings near that area, such as the ships pennant etc.

I also don't think it's a 'future-proofing' aspect to this museum-piece;
ie, I don't think it's a 'roof-mounting anchor point' discretely hidden on the model.
the shape is similar to some other display's swivel-anchors for roof-mounting via guywires/cables etc.

I hope this was of use,
and look forward to seeing other folks prerogatives on this :D

WarpNein
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by WarpNein » Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:47 pm

davidluna9999 wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:27 pm
I am going to do another build of the 1/350 TOS. I have the new kit with the smooth saucer. Having just been to the Smithsonian NASM, I spent about an hour just studying the original model for research.
I'm so glad they moved her out of the basement. Do you live in the area or are you just visiting?

Kratok
Perhaps today IS a good day to model

Post by Kratok » Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:50 am

It was obviously there on the original build, and even survived the first repainting:
ent_smithsonian_039.jpg
ent_smithsonian_039.jpg (103.22 KiB) Viewed 437 times
However, whatever it said originally was already illegible at the time this photo was taken.

And it was added to the Smithsonian restoration late in that process. It is still missing on the Gray Lady here (with the conservation already pretty well along):
ent_smithsonian_195.jpg
I had data on what the decals on the saucer said, but dont think I ever had any info on this particular signage. There was nothing further in the Smithsonian pics that I nabbed.

If you DO find out what this originally said, I hope that you will share the information with the rest of us.

Good Luck!

Kratok

Post by Kratok » Sat Nov 24, 2018 3:11 am

FOUND IT!
Capture.PNG
More information here:
https://www.therpf.com/forums/threads/t ... ct.129807/

I love a good mystery....

kobayashimaru
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by kobayashimaru » Sat Nov 24, 2018 4:03 am

thanks kratok;
those are excellent detail refs too. :D

the 'tail-pipe decal' is what I was thinking of,
which is that 'sacrifice the pylon/strut and keep the nacelle" system schematic. :lol:

Return to “1/350”