Polar Lights 1/350 scale K'T'inga p/review Final pics on page 5

Work in progress, completed builds and general 1/350 related discussion.
Steam235
Captain USS December
Captain USS December

Re: Polar Lights 1/350 scale K'T'inga p/review Final pics on page 5

Post by Steam235 »

Hi guys, David Lewis asked how easy it would be to add a switch to the kit to turn the lights on and off.

The lighting kit has an on/off switch, on the battery pack, but you have to open up the model when ever you wanted to turn it on or off.

I decided to make a post to show you how easy it is, to either.

1. Move the battery box outside the model so you can leave it closed, and still get to the batteries easily.

2. Run wires down the stand so you could connect it to a wall adapter,

Or.

3. Just add an outside switch while leaving the batteries inside the model

In the pictures below, you'll see how easy I did it even though my model was in a finished state.

I started just by using a small drill bit to drill a hole at the top of the mounting hole in the ship.
Final pictures -IMG_9129.jpg
Then I did the same thing on the bottom of the dome base.
Final pictures -IMG_9131.jpg
The I just took a length of two conductor wire, and pushed it right up the hole in the base, up the hollow rod, and into the hold I made in the model. It comes out right in the battery compartment.
Final pictures -IMG_9133.jpg
Final pictures -IMG_9134.jpg

Then I snipped the wires between the battery box and the circuit board.
Final pictures -IMG_9136.jpg
If you want to move the battery box outside the model, connect the wires you ran up the rod to the circuit board,
Final pictures -IMG_9137.jpg
and then connect the battery box to the wires running out of the dome base.
Final pictures -IMG_9139.jpg

If you want to switch it to a wall adapter so you don't have to worry about batteries then connect the wire you ran up the rod to the circuit board, and connect your wall power adapter to the wires running out side the dome base.

USE A HIGH QUALITY REGULATED POWER SUPPLY. YOU DO NOT WANT ANY VOLTAGE VARIANCE THAT COULD HURT THE ELECTRONICS.

If you want to use the battery pack and leave it inside the model, but have a switch outside the model then leave the red wire from the battery pack to the circuit board intact, only snip the black wire. Connect the battery pack black wire to one of the leads you ran up the pole, connect the other black wire to the other lead you ran up the pole. Then connect the wires outside the dome base to a switch.
Final pictures -IMG_9140.jpg
Viz
Erratic Ensign
Erratic Ensign

Post by Viz »

Your build is just made the wait for my kit even harder. Can't wait for mine to arrive.
boom175
Candid Cadet
Candid Cadet

Post by boom175 »

Hey Captain! can you please get some printable copies of your pics of the main hull so I can print them out to help with the masking and painting. My email address is Boom175 @ Gmail dot com

Return to “1/350”