Klingon Bird of Prey (final pics page 9)

Work in progress, completed builds and general 1/350 related discussion.
Steam235
Captain USS December
Captain USS December

Re: Klingon Bird-of-Prey

Post by Steam235 » Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:30 am

It is incredible. I'm still not quite sure how the wires reach into the wings but it is just FANTASTIC!

harristotle
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by harristotle » Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:38 pm

You never cease to inspire me! Your work is amazing :D
"I'm your huckleberry"

trekriffic
Can-Do Captain (CW)
Can-Do Captain (CW)

Post by trekriffic » Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:51 pm

Steam235 wrote:It is incredible. I'm still not quite sure how the wires reach into the wings but it is just FANTASTIC!
Thanks Steamer! Here's a photo showing the wing wires encased in heatshrink tubing as they pass thru a brass tube into the fuselage on each side. The tubing prevents any abrasion of the wires:

"You broke your little ships."

My albums on flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/29607470@N08/sets/

trekriffic
Can-Do Captain (CW)
Can-Do Captain (CW)

Post by trekriffic » Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:06 pm

Weekend and holiday progress:

Here's the base. A size K plug is epoxied to the top of the tube which is made from Evergreen plastic tubing slid inside a brass tube. The base has a size M jack. I got the base at Michaels craft store and sprayed it with Tamiya Black lacquer over Krylon grey primer.. The tube is glued into the base using 5-Minute Epoxy followed by JB Weld:

The model on the base:

More work under the neck...

Triangular brackets for under the neck. Made from styrene strips grooved using a scribing tool. Sprayed with Tamiya silver:

Triangular brackets glued in place with Plastic Surgery glue then painted SAC Bomber Green:

The kit has molded stairstep panels that didn't really match the look of the rectangular framed louvered panels in the screencap so I made new panels using styrene sheet and some leftover strips of brass photo-etch. The panels were sprayed with Tamiya black and silver lacquer before being brushed with MM SAC Bomber Green enamel:

I filled the stairstep panels of the kit with AVES and after drying overnight filed and sanded them to provide a nice flat surface to which I glued the new panels using CA:

Engine light test. This image was taken before I add the "milk jug" plastic diffuser panels between the engine insert and the LEDs. The difference this makes is quite dramatic as you'll see in a forthcoming photo:

Anyway, that's it for today. Thanks for any comments!

Steam235
Captain USS December
Captain USS December

Post by Steam235 » Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:19 am

:eek:WOW :eek:

harristotle
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by harristotle » Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:51 pm

Where's the forthcoming photo!? lol looking great!
"I'm your huckleberry"

Moongrim
Fatidical Fleet Admiral (CW)
Fatidical Fleet Admiral (CW)

Post by Moongrim » Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:38 am

Mighty fine attention to detail. I bow down before the master...
There are Times, Sir, when men of good Conscience cannot blindly follow orders. You acknowledge their sentience, but ignore their personal liberties and freedoms. Order a man to hand over his child to the state? Not while I"m captain.
- J.L.Picard.

el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by el gato » Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:17 pm

:-o :shock: :jawdrop:

Bravo! Dare I say your build is "trekriffic"?
RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.

trekriffic
Can-Do Captain (CW)
Can-Do Captain (CW)

Post by trekriffic » Sun Sep 07, 2014 5:16 am

Thanks guys!

Here's the diffusion material cut from a Cafe Steamer meal bowl:

After trimming to fit the panels were brushed with Tamiya transparent red acrylic:

Some of the armor paneling detail around the mouth of the photorp emitter seemed a little soft to me so I cut new panels from styrene sheet to glue over the top of the kit panels using "Plastic Surgery" glue. First I had to scrape away the layers of paint to get down to the kit plastic. The glue dries in about 5 seconds so you have to be quick to get the panels aligned properly before the glue dries:

The new armor plating done:

Shifting gears...

The photorp tube was glued into position under the neck:

The cloaking generator ring was weathered and test fit. May be a little too weathered:

I mix my paints on aluminum foil for the various accent colors:

Looking at photos of the studio model revealed some details missing from the stern walls in front of the warp/impulse engines. Styrene strips were cut and glued to the sides:

A rectangular panel of grooved styrene sheet was trimmed to fit over the putty filled gap at the top edge of the warp engine insert. This matches the studio model:

The first round of weathering was completed by giving the model a brushing with thinned black enamel with a little neutral grey mixed in. I used tired mineral spirits from my brush cleaning jar. Fresh thinner woudl be too strong and destroy the underlying paint layers:

Some rust panels and accents were added:

The new diffusion panels give the engines a more even glow:

After a few days I'll go in with a rust wash in selected areas. Then she dries for a few more days, gets a shot of Dullcote to seal, then I start in with some pastels and ink pens.

I gotta say guys weathering the KBOP is a blast. It would be easy to get carried away; contrary to what one might think, if you try hard enough, it is posssible to overweather this ship.

;)

RogueWolf
Resolute Rear Admiral (UH)
Resolute Rear Admiral (UH)

Post by RogueWolf » Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:36 pm

I can't beleive how much work you have put into this build! I can't wait till Christmas Morning to open this up from under the tree. Realy, you shouldn't have! All this fuss for little 'ole me. Now, what should I get you?

I know!

SOCKS!!!
Check out my NorthTrek Creations kits at:
http://www.mvmodels.biz/northtrek.asp
Valar Morghulis

Return to “1/350”