TOS Enterprise paint - in a world with discontinued Testor's colors...

Work in progress, completed builds and general 1/350 related discussion.
fkane
Erratic Ensign
Erratic Ensign

TOS Enterprise paint - in a world with discontinued Testor's colors...

Post by fkane » Fri Jul 05, 2019 5:06 pm

The definitive guide for accurate NCC-1701 paint colors is from Gary Kerr, who worked on the Smithsonian restoration:

https://culttvman.com/main/a-modelers-g ... gary-kerr/

It helpfully includes a guide on how to mix up the correct colors using various Testor's Model Master colors.

Problem is - many of those colors were recently discontinued by Testor's, and are already impossible to find. I can't seem to find replacements from other vendors, either (for example, "French Light Blue Gray" seems to just be extinct.) Other colors are available from other vendors, but only in acrylic - while the Testor's colors listed are enamels.

The kit itself only provides color swatches with no guidance on how to mix them.

What to do? I've also seen these colors listed as Lab and RGB color values - is it possible to take those color specs to Home Depot and have them mix up a quart of... something that might stick to a plastic model and look good?

andyh
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Re: TOS Enterprise paint - in a world with discontinued Testor's colors...

Post by andyh » Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:29 am

Good question and you’ll get a variety of answers and opinions. But in short, the definitive colours worked out by Gary are for an 11foot model, and I am suspicious your built won’t be so big? Colours “scale” so if you used the formula for the 11 footer, it will look very dark on your smaller model.

Basically, the colour you want is a light concrete grey colour which tends to be on the slightly green spectrum (rather than blue). Just find a colour which looks right to you using the swatches as a guide, but lighten them up a bit.

Andy

Return to “1/350”