Polar Lights 1/350 scale K'T'inga lighting kit p/review

Work in progress, completed builds and general 1/350 related discussion.
Steam235
Captain USS December
Captain USS December

Re: Polar Lights 1/350 scale K'T'inga lighting kit p/review

Post by Steam235 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:10 am

I wanted to circle back and try and tackle the engine lights that had a purple hue.

I was thinking about some elaborate ideas to change the hue, when I decided to just try something simple.
I cut two red rods off of the red tinted parts sprue. I glued them together to make a lens and placed it over the LED in the engine. The extra red plastic was enough to give it a nice red glow instead of the purple. The cylinder shapes helped break up the bright spot in the middle of the engines too. Below, is shot of the engine/lens and a bare LED and then a comparison of how they look lit.
IMG_8560.jpg
IMG_8562.jpg
IMG_8564.jpg

littleyoda99
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Post by littleyoda99 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:11 pm

I woudl also suggest annealing the PE parts so that they curve to the shape of the hull better, and less chance of popping up. I don't recall if you mentioned it, but I didn't see it (i could be blind).

The kit and lights do look great tho...

ACE
Erratic Ensign
Erratic Ensign

Post by ACE » Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:37 am

Two possible options for dealing with the purple color for the impulse engine lights would be to remove the existing blue-white LEDs and replace them with 3mm or 5mm warm-white LEDs in their place. This would effectively neutralize the blue cast that is shifting the engine color from red to purple and return it to red.

Another option would be to alter or shift the blueish cast of the existing LEDs toward a lower color temperature by filtering the light output. This could be accomplished by staining the LEDs with Tamiya clear orange paint, thereby "warming" the output similar to that of warm-white LEDs. This filtering would reduce the overall light output somewhat, but would alleviate most or all of the color cast and provide a more red output to the engine exhausts. More than one coat may be necessary to achieve the required color output.

psimon
Erratic Ensign
Erratic Ensign

Post by psimon » Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:25 pm

WARNING for those using lighting kits...

While working with a lighting kit for my 1/350 refit, I noticed that the rubber shrink-wrap on the LED prongs was melting the styrene anywhere it touched. In some cases it bore almost all the way through the hull over a few months. Luckily I had not clued the saucer hulls together yet so I was able to applying foil tape between these areas to help minimize future damage.

Some rubbers can give off a toxin that will attack both styrene and even resins over a short period of time so be mindful how they are used with your kits.

Jedi Dade
Erratic Ensign
Erratic Ensign

Post by Jedi Dade » Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:18 pm

ACE wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:37 am
Two possible options for dealing with the purple color for the impulse engine lights would be to remove the existing blue-white LEDs and replace them with 3mm or 5mm warm-white LEDs in their place. This would effectively neutralize the blue cast that is shifting the engine color from red to purple and return it to red.
If you're going to go so far as to replace the LEDs - just get red ones... :D At least that was my first thought.

Jedi Dade

Steam235
Captain USS December
Captain USS December

Post by Steam235 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:22 pm

As I progress through the build I reached a point where I could finalize my work in the battery compartment.
I had not glued the back engine panel on the kit yet. So after making sure all the connections were secure, I reached into the back and pulled all the slack out of the battery compartment.

There are two LEDs mounted in the battery compartment. I bent their leads flat against the walls so there would be more clearance for the battery pack.

The picture below shows the battery compartment before I pulled the loose slack out and bent those leads out of the way. There isn't much room to move that battery pack.
IMG_8535.jpg
This picture shows the compartment with leads bent out of the way and the loose wires pulled tight.
IMG_8607.jpg

Steam235
Captain USS December
Captain USS December

Post by Steam235 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:27 pm

Glue the tan/dark tan panel securely to the battery compartment. The battery pack slides underneath this panel
IMG_8608.jpg
IMG_8609.jpg

The cargo bay assembly does not get glued to the model. You hook the front of it under the tan panel.
IMG_8610.jpg

Then you push down on the back of the cargo bay to snap it into place.
IMG_8611.jpg

If fits in place securely without glue, and you open it to access the on/off switch or to switch the batteries.
IMG_8612.jpg

Steam235
Captain USS December
Captain USS December

Post by Steam235 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:41 pm

Here are some shots of the lights with the ships base colors painted on. I've also corrected the engine light color and added the light covers for the two strobe lights.
IMG_8613.jpg
IMG_8618.jpg
IMG_8621.jpg
IMG_8625.jpg
IMG_8645.jpg

Steam235
Captain USS December
Captain USS December

Post by Steam235 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:56 pm

In addition to the window PE, The lighting kit also replaces several of the greeblies on the front bulkhead.

The photo etch parts, are much more inscale for the model and more accurate.
IMG_8658.jpg
IMG_8663.jpg
IMG_8664.jpg
IMG_8666.jpg
IMG_8675.jpg
Last edited by Steam235 on Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MEATLOAFr
Resolute Rear Admiral (UH)
Resolute Rear Admiral (UH)

Post by MEATLOAFr » Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:11 am

looking nice

keep up the great work
If the world ends tomorrow, it's ALL YOUR FAULT!!!

Custom Decals, and Vinyl Cutting services available
E-Mail direct to my [USERNAME] @ GMAIL account for Decals & Vinyl services

Return to “1/350”