Glowing nacelles for 1701 refit?

Scratchbuilding, kitbashing, reposing and other modifications.
Cubey Terra
Can-Do Captain (CW)
Can-Do Captain (CW)

Glowing nacelles for 1701 refit?

Post by Cubey Terra » Tue May 14, 2013 8:52 pm

A quick review of the ships featured in the first ST movies reveals that nacelles have simple black sides and no futuristic, glowy stuff. But a common customization for refit Constitution and Miranda is to light the nacelles with brilliant blue. What's the reasoning behind this departure from canon?

It definitely looks great, but I'm not sure whether to go ahead with that on my 1/537 scale ships.

Thoughts?

Steam235
Captain USS December
Captain USS December

Re: Glowing nacelles for 1701 refit?

Post by Steam235 » Wed May 15, 2013 1:20 am

Well some people will point to a few screen shots to show that while at warp the enterprise does have a slight glow at warp.

the reliant never glows. When I made my Miranda I gave it a different name so I could light both sides of the nacelles.

so here's the reasoning....

1. Glowing things are neat.
2. Hey for a half a minute or so in the movies the do glow!.
3. Hey glowing models are neat.
4. It brings continuity as all future warp nacelles glow.
5. Hey this will look neat if it glows!!

at least that why I light mine .

Cubey Terra
Can-Do Captain (CW)
Can-Do Captain (CW)

Post by Cubey Terra » Thu May 16, 2013 4:54 pm

Yup, it definitely looks neat. :D

FatherRob
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander
Location: Bargersville, Indiana, USA, NA, Sol III, Terran System

Post by FatherRob » Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:19 am

In TMP the inboard nacelle surfaces glow purple.

In DS9, the various Miranda class ships have glowy blue nacelles on the inboard and outboard surfaces.

Rob+

el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by el gato » Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:29 pm

My Miranda/Reliant and Refit will be painted with glowy inboard nacelles because... well, because I think they look cooler that way. 8-) The outboard nacelle is still black. Because.
RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.

Cubey Terra
Can-Do Captain (CW)
Can-Do Captain (CW)

Post by Cubey Terra » Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:22 pm

el gato wrote:My Miranda/Reliant and Refit will be painted with glowy inboard nacelles because... well, because I think they look cooler that way. 8-) The outboard nacelle is still black. Because.
Heh. Yeah, I've made my decision there too. For my Reliant and Enterprise refit, the inboard sides will glow. Nothing looks cooler than glowy nacelles. I think they model makers for TMP and TWOK would have done it too, if they'd thought of it. :)

Cubey Terra
Can-Do Captain (CW)
Can-Do Captain (CW)

Post by Cubey Terra » Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:33 am

Apologies for necroposting, but I'm watching Star Trek: The Motion Picture. I see now that the nacelles are black except when the Enterprise goes to warp. Then the inboard sides glow blue.

Now... I'm sure you all know this already. But I built my Reliant with blue inboard lighting thinking it was non-canon. But lo and behold, it's not! I'll now commence my happy dance. :D

Moongrim
Fatidical Fleet Admiral (CW)
Fatidical Fleet Admiral (CW)

Post by Moongrim » Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:45 pm

cubey_terra wrote:Apologies for necroposting, but I'm watching Star Trek: The Motion Picture. I see now that the nacelles are black except when the Enterprise goes to warp. Then the inboard sides glow blue.

Now... I'm sure you all know this already. But I built my Reliant with blue inboard lighting thinking it was non-canon. But lo and behold, it's not! I'll now commence my happy dance. :D
Well the lighting kit I purchased for my 1/350 Refit, lit the warp engines for 'warp mode' and switched them off for 'impulse' mode- which also justifies this thread IMHO.
There are Times, Sir, when men of good Conscience cannot blindly follow orders. You acknowledge their sentience, but ignore their personal liberties and freedoms. Order a man to hand over his child to the state? Not while I"m captain.
- J.L.Picard.

martok2112
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by martok2112 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:58 pm

Yeah, it's funny how in The Next Generation, any movie era (or shortly post-movie era) ships and all the Next Gen era ships had their nacelles constantly glowing. The way they differentiated showing a ship going into warp was by having the nacelles brighten for a split second as the ship transitions into warp. Even the Excelsior as seen in "Yesteryear" on Voyager was given glowy blue nacelles.

But for the movies, the ships' nacelles' inner warp field generators would glow blue only when the ship was about to enter into, and then remain in "warp".

It was thought the same thing for the Klingon K't'inga class. When I did my animations for my remake of my remake of the opening moments of Star Trek The Motion Picture, I decided to have the inner warp field generators on my K't'ingas glow green. One of my friends asked me why this was the case. I told him that I took a cue from Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country, where Kronos One's warp engines always glowed, even while just at impulse power.

Then began the whole debate about whether or not the K't'ingas were at warp when attacking V'ger. I said that the Klingon ships were at warp, because it was described that way in both the novelization by Gene Roddenberry and in the FotoNovel that had been released for Star Trek The Motion Picture.

Oy....the technical headaches....

:)
Remember, you can't have gagh without "gag"! :D

el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by el gato » Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:28 pm

Do fans of other stuff get into these deep discussions? No one debates whether the Serenity's "abdomen" engine glows or not. The X-wings' engines are constantly glowing even though in real space that implies acceleration instead of constant speed. Yet people only chuckle about it for a bit and then move on
RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.

Return to “Customizing”