Thinking of buying an airbrush...

Painting methods, display options and general tweaks.
ProfArturo
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Thinking of buying an airbrush...

Post by ProfArturo » Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:16 pm

The most tedious part of my last build was the endless sanding and coats of paint needed to make the hull look smooth when painting with a brush.

I'd like to make it a bit easier and develop my skills next time around, but I know absolutely nothing about airbrushes so far.

What are the basics I need to know to get started?

I've seen this one on eBay, any good?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dual-Action- ... 3facc2464e

Father Cool
Lemme At Em Lieutenant
Lemme At Em Lieutenant

Re: Thinking of buying an airbrush...

Post by Father Cool » Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:25 pm

That one is perfectly acceptable to me. I have owned many airbrushes over the years and although the expensive ones spray very nicely they still need to be cleaned and looked after well to stay in shape.

Although not quite as good in quality as the really expensive ones they are more than capable for our needs and spray superbly in the beginning. Eventually you may need to change it for whatever reason but you would have to get to that stage over 10 times over before getting to the price of the quality ones.

I used to do a lot of commission work, reigned it back due to life pressures and time contraints, and I ended up spraying a lot! I found the cheaper chinese ones a godsend after a while due to repair and replacement parts etc. The chinese ones become a hastle free throw away option almost.

If you are doing airbrush art on a petrol tank then yes go expensive, laying down body colour on models and blowing on a bit of weathering then I would save the cash and go cheap.

Just my opinion, for what its worth.

Tesral
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Tesral » Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:50 am

Get a compressor. The air you blow though it is as important as the brush itself. Air cans will frustrate the Hell out of you as the pressure drops off as they cool. The gas laws will be obeyed.

Makes sure it has a regulator, and an tank is a must. It evens out the flow. Most compressors are of the cylinder kind and unless you have a tank the air flow will pulse with the cylinder.

And hobby compressors are not a requirement. I have a four gallon 150 psi hardware store job. It powers the airbrush (regulator) as well as filling air filled things and powering air tools like nail guns.
Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
"I saw it done on Voyager" is no excuse for anything, even breathing.

Father Cool
Lemme At Em Lieutenant
Lemme At Em Lieutenant

Post by Father Cool » Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:40 pm

Yes absolutely. I forgot to mention the compressor with tank as 'to me' it was a given!!

Richard Baker
Lemme At Em Lieutenant
Lemme At Em Lieutenant

Post by Richard Baker » Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:10 pm

I have a Campbell Hausfeld 125 PSI Quiet Compressor with a 6 gallon Pancake tank- I use it around the home with air tools and it is also optimized for Air Brush use.
My wife bought me a Paasche VL-5W Double action Airbrush last year. It has the advantage of using either gravity feed or siphon feed.

I do not use air brushes often but sometimes it is the only way to apply a custom color mix properly.

ProfArturo
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Post by ProfArturo » Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:56 pm

Thanks chaps for all your advice.

My main barrier is a lack of a suitable space to use one, as I lack a garage or shed.

I think for the next build I might just experiment with using a rattlecan and see what results I get for hull painting with that. The main thing is trying to save time.

Richard Baker
Lemme At Em Lieutenant
Lemme At Em Lieutenant

Post by Richard Baker » Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:33 pm

I have been using rattle cans for decades and they work pretty well - my biggest frustration is trying to find the color I want to use in one (some colors are not available), hence the step up to an airbrush.

Tesral
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Tesral » Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:53 pm

ProfArturo wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:56 pm
Thanks chaps for all your advice.

My main barrier is a lack of a suitable space to use one, as I lack a garage or shed.
Burd23.png
Burd23.png (501.37 KiB) Viewed 426 times

ProfArturo
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Post by ProfArturo » Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:17 pm

My missus would go nuts if I whacked that in our lounge :lol:
Richard Baker wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:33 pm
I have been using rattle cans for decades and they work pretty well - my biggest frustration is trying to find the color I want to use in one (some colors are not available), hence the step up to an airbrush.
Yep, went to my local automotive supplies place yesterday and they pretty much had one enamel grey in a can, everything else was either metallic for cars or different colours.

Tesral
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Tesral » Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:36 pm

ProfArturo wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:17 pm
My missus would go nuts if I whacked that in our lounge :lol:
We have a basement. Sue helped me get it up and running. She also loved Wonderfest. The thing works a charm. I have used it since the picture. It has paint stains now.

Return to “Finishing”