Finishing a 3D printed model?

Painting methods, display options and general tweaks.
trek3159
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Re: Finishing a 3D printed model?

Post by trek3159 »

that little shuttle doesn't look too bad, what scale is it?
freitec
Erratic Ensign
Erratic Ensign

Post by freitec »

Have seen them in action TRULY amazing
Del
Starship Engineer
Starship Engineer

Post by Del »

On Shapeways it's listed as a Fed Type 11 but it looks almost identical to the E-E shuttle. There are a few minor differences however. SInce the E-E shuttle is 16 meters long, and the model is 2 inches long, that puts it at 1/315 scale.
Multi-Verse Models - http://www.mvmodels.biz or find me on Facebook
Retail sales of kits from Design Anomaly, Kessel Run Kits, NorthTrek Creations, Alternate Paradigms, and more!
Shark
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by Shark »

trek3159 wrote:that little shuttle doesn't look too bad, what scale is it?
The model itself isn't bad, but the printing job shapeways did on it sure sucks. If anyone out there wants to order this, I would strongly suggest you contact the maker (mlhaden) and ask if he can make the model available in another material, like frosted detail or something; 'cause "White stong and flexible" ain't cuttin' it.
by Del
On Shapeways it's listed as a Fed Type 11 but it looks almost identical to the E-E shuttle. There are a few minor differences however.
I'm curious, what differences do you see? (Beyond mlhaden's model being simplified)
Del
Starship Engineer
Starship Engineer

Post by Del »

Go to Ex Astris Scientia and scroll half-way down the Shuttlecraft Gallery Page where you should see Star Trek Fact Files images of all the different angles of the shuttle. If you compare those images with the rendering on the Shapeways site, you should note some very minor differences like the size of the forward phaser strip, the triangular shapes at each side below the windshield, and some details along the central spine of the craft. As I stated, minor differences. It looks pretty good otherwise.
Multi-Verse Models - http://www.mvmodels.biz or find me on Facebook
Retail sales of kits from Design Anomaly, Kessel Run Kits, NorthTrek Creations, Alternate Paradigms, and more!
Shark
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by Shark »

I would certainly call those minor. That and the fact files have not been known for thier accuracy.
martok2112
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by martok2112 »

I would love to be able to afford a 3D printer myself, and see how my CG models turn out in printed form. :)
Granted, I know I could get the 3D printout through a third party for far cheaper, but I just always thought it'd be cool to make my own practical models on demand. :)
Remember, you can't have gagh without "gag"! :D
el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by el gato »

Shark, I ordered a TOS version of the Reliant in WSF. I found it too rough to sculpt and too hard to sand. The curved areas weren't really curved but "stair stepped" or terraced. After watching several sanding sticks die a horrible, dishonorable death, I got the idea to use Bondo to coat the curved areas and sand those down. It worked like a charm because the Bondo filled in both the curved areas and the porous parts. And as you may know Bondo is easy to work with. Now my little Reliant looks pretty good.
RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.
el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by el gato »

Here are samples: As it originally looked. You can see the stair steps on the middle ring:

In contrast to the sharp panel lines of the dorsal saucer, the ventral saucer had these soft lines that looked like old, old school resin kits:

These pics show this kit in the "ugly" phase when I used Bondo, primer and Aves to remove the lines. The Bondo really highlighted the stair steps and the "wood grain" of the printing, especially on the roll bar and deflector housing. In retrospect I should have used Bondo exclusively:

Here is the end result, with primer and paint. You'll notice I left the panel lines around the lower sensor dome. That was more of a creative choice than anything else:

Last edited by el gato on Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:23 am, edited 3 times in total.
RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.
Moongrim
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by Moongrim »

I got to enjoy a White strong and flexible, on some of the parts I had printed out for some 1/1000 kits.

I found that what El Gato suggests, along with some thin plastic applied (covering the surface) is what seems to work best.

As to drilling (if you need to), you're gonna end up with a WSF covered drill bit that takes forever to clean off.
There are Times, Sir, when men of good Conscience cannot blindly follow orders. You acknowledge their sentience, but ignore their personal liberties and freedoms. Order a man to hand over his child to the state? Not while I"m captain.
- J.L.Picard.

Return to “Finishing”