Decal Setting and Solvent

Painting methods, display options and general tweaks.
patrickivan
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Decal Setting and Solvent

Post by patrickivan »

I've never used decal sets or solvents, and there appears to be a myriad of information and types.

Including DIYers.

One issue I am having is finding this stuff in Canada. Hell, Amazon and ebay is even proving to be an out of country experience.

I've also noticed a LOT of people guessing what's in this stuff. But it only took me a minute to find, for examples, Testors Decal Set MSDS. https://www.rustoleum.com/MSDS/ENGLISH/8804TT.pdf That stuff is Glacial Acetic Acid...

I seem to be having difficulty locating microscale industries micro sol and set's msds... The key is finding who the mfg is and look up their product information. In Testor's case, rustoleum makes their set...

But this is the key to getting my hands on some to try. Because I ain't spending $20 for 1 oz of acidic acid, and have it shipped from the US. That's just nutty.
trekriffic
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Re: Decal Setting and Solvent

Post by trekriffic »

I've tried white vinegar diluted with tap water before. Worked pretty well.
"You broke your little ships."

My albums on flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/29607470@N08/sets/
patrickivan
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by patrickivan »

Do you have any issues with the surface tension being so much that you can't get it to coat over the area you want?

It really just follows the brush around in a blob.

I've never tried this stuff before. I'm doing the Warp Sled Shuttle (Federation Markings). Heck, I've never done a model with so many decals before. Glad I'm doing this one before my 1/350 Enterprise
patrickivan
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by patrickivan »

I've been using the Testors Decal Set and I'm not really sure how I like it. The decals seem to finish well if I coat them and leave them a few hours.

Once thing I'm not liking is that it doesn't help around corners, et c. But I've found that some liquid cement brushed on just wicks that decal flat and bonds it instantly and incredibly well. But too much and it'll rip or dissolve it.

Return to “Finishing”