Aztecing Using Just Clear Coats

Painting methods, display options and general tweaks.
michelalano
Lighting Fast Lieutenant JG

Aztecing Using Just Clear Coats

Post by michelalano » Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:47 pm

In my head canon, aztec patterns are really only seen up close or when the light hits the ship just right. I find that most of the aztec decals available are a bit too harsh for my taste so I was wondering if anyone has done or knows examples of aztecing as a finish with clear coats only. I think this effect could be perfect for 1000 scale models. I'm considering this for my refit/reliant builds:

1. Pearl white base
2. Gloss Coat (for decals)
3. Decals
4. Semi Gloss or satin coat (to seal decals)
5. Flat aztec pattern
6. "Random" pearl or iridescent accents (optional)

I think a pure white look across the room would look great and as you get closer to the model you will see the aztecing in the different finishes. I do worry though that it would be too subtle so hopefully someone has tried this already.

mophius
Crafty Captain
Crafty Captain

Re: Aztecing Using Just Clear Coats

Post by mophius » Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:24 pm

Only problem I can see there is that you will be azteking over registry decals.
There is no dark side of the moon really, matter of fact its all dark.

Imgur
Shapeways Shop

trekriffic
Can-Do Captain (CW)
Can-Do Captain (CW)

Post by trekriffic » Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:47 am

mophius wrote:Only problem I can see there is that you will be azteking over registry decals.
Agreed. You would want to apply any registry or other decals at the end. Otherwise if you are having to use masking tape for your aztec pattern you will risk pulling up any and all decals. An alternative would be to use low-tack frisket film. This presents another problem though. If you apply gloss and matte panels for your azteking and then apply the decals, what do you seal the decals with? If you glosscote to seal the decals you lose the matte aztek paneling and vice-versa. So you are back to having a flat or glossy ship. You could hand brush the aztek panels and eliminate most of the masking. Maybe find a water based varnish like the stuff Liquitex sells. I have a bottle of both their matte and gloss varnish myself. It goes on nice with a brush and you get a really gloss or really flat effect.
"You broke your little ships."

My albums on flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/29607470@N08/sets/

michelalano

Post by michelalano » Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:03 am

firstly, maybe you guys know better than i do, but if the aztec coat is clear, why can't it be done over the decals? will it look that bad? if so, seems like i could just mask the decals during the aztec coat so they would remain semi-gloss.

Greyryder
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by Greyryder » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:02 am

This type of azteking is simulating the light hitting all the various hull plates at different angles, across the ship's compound curves. I see no reason why it wouldn't go over the various markings.

trekriffic
Can-Do Captain (CW)
Can-Do Captain (CW)

Post by trekriffic » Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:56 pm

Greyryder wrote:This type of azteking is simulating the light hitting all the various hull plates at different angles, across the ship's compound curves. I see no reason why it wouldn't go over the various markings.
Yes, I agree. That makes a lot of sense. I still think you would have an issue with masking over decals though. To be really safe you could have someone like Aztec Dummy make vinyl registry masks and just paint them on before or after the azteking. No need to seal painted on markings either.
"You broke your little ships."

My albums on flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/29607470@N08/sets/

Tesral
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Tesral » Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:52 am

trekriffic wrote:
Greyryder wrote:This type of azteking is simulating the light hitting all the various hull plates at different angles, across the ship's compound curves. I see no reason why it wouldn't go over the various markings.
Yes, I agree. That makes a lot of sense. I still think you would have an issue with masking over decals though. To be really safe you could have someone like Aztec Dummy make vinyl registry masks and just paint them on before or after the azteking. No need to seal painted on markings either.
It makes sense that the markings would go on last. The last things painted on the hulk. Aztecing should not go over them.

However mixing gloss and flat would make decaling a bear. The decals would have to have no excess material. Yea, masks. Paint the buggers.
Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
"I saw it done on Voyager" is no excuse for anything, even breathing.

NCC1966
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by NCC1966 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:52 pm

It looks like to be an excellent idea, but I sincerely advise you to avoid this:
michelalano wrote:1. Pearl white base
I am building an 1/537 Reliant and had this "awesome" idea of paint it with pearl white base. It got completely cheesy and I HAD to paint it in plain white again. Trust me. You will hate it.

;)
Thanks,

Yan.

michelalano

Post by michelalano » Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:24 pm

NCC1966 wrote:It looks like to be an excellent idea, but I sincerely advise you to avoid this:
michelalano wrote:1. Pearl white base
I am building an 1/537 Reliant and had this "awesome" idea of paint it with pearl white base. It got completely cheesy and I HAD to paint it in plain white again. Trust me. You will hate it.

;)
LOL what do you mean by cheesy? Too yellow? Or is the consistency of paint bad? I'm partial to good old white myself, but so many people talk about using "pearl" so I was considering it.

NCC1966
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by NCC1966 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:37 pm

Perhaps I used the wrong word. Pick the one that you like more: gaudy, tacky, corny... something out-to-date and ridiculous... something like this...

Trust me... pearl white may be good to paint a drug dealer car but you don't want your Reliant with this color. Well, I don't know... personal taste is something that we shouldn't discuss, but... anyway... never mind... paint it with white pearl and make yourself happy!!!!

:mrgreen:
Thanks,

Yan.

Return to “Finishing”