Weathering on starships? Seriously?

Painting methods, display options and general tweaks.
User avatar
Richard Baker
Erratic Ensign
Erratic Ensign
Posts: 22
Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:07 pm

Re: Weathering on starships? Seriously?

Post by Richard Baker » Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:37 pm

I think Star Fleet ships should look cleaner than most but some weathering helps give them a 'history'. These ships don't just cruise in deep space, they travel through regions under conditions we can only guess at. Gasses, radiation, giant green space hands, all of these should leave some marks over time.
One thing that I hated about the Voyager series is that no matter what they had to deal with the ship appeared in the next show looking like it just had a wash and wax job. This was intentional to help make the shows better in syndication, they originally considered giving it some accumulated damage over the seasons but only did that one time in the 'Year of Hell' two parter. The NX-01 did eventually follow through with the Xindi arc.

Give the Star Fleets some weathering but keep it light- in that Universe either you are OK or destroyed it seems.

User avatar
NCC1966
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore
Posts: 1281
Joined: Thu May 19, 2016 6:20 pm
Location: Brasil, SP

Re: Weathering on starships? Seriously?

Post by NCC1966 » Wed Nov 16, 2016 11:02 am

Richard Baker wrote:I think Star Fleet ships should look cleaner than most but some weathering helps give them a 'history'. These ships don't just cruise in deep space, they travel through regions under conditions we can only guess at. Gasses, radiation, giant green space hands, all of these should leave some marks over time.
I don't think so. The ships are equipped with deflectors exactly to avoid this.
Thanks,

Yan.

User avatar
Moongrim
Fatidical Fleet Admiral (CW)
Fatidical Fleet Admiral (CW)
Posts: 4943
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:36 pm
Location: West of Eugene Oregon.

Re: Weathering on starships? Seriously?

Post by Moongrim » Wed Nov 16, 2016 2:10 pm

Ships are also equipped with shields to prevent an enemy's weapons doing damage as well.
There are Times, Sir, when men of good Conscience cannot blindly follow orders. You acknowledge their sentience, but ignore their personal liberties and freedoms. Order a man to hand over his child to the state? Not while I"m captain.
- J.L.Picard.

User avatar
patrickivan
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander
Posts: 374
Joined: Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:40 pm
Location: Central Ontario
Contact:

Re: Weathering on starships? Seriously?

Post by patrickivan » Wed Nov 16, 2016 2:58 pm

Moongrim wrote:Ships are also equipped with shields to prevent an enemy's weapons doing damage as well.
Depends on the story requirements
:lol:
"I drink to make people interesting"

George Nathan

User avatar
trekriffic
Can-Do Captain (CW)
Can-Do Captain (CW)
Posts: 1843
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:16 pm

Re: Weathering on starships? Seriously?

Post by trekriffic » Wed Nov 16, 2016 4:40 pm

NCC1966 wrote:
Richard Baker wrote:I think Star Fleet ships should look cleaner than most but some weathering helps give them a 'history'. These ships don't just cruise in deep space, they travel through regions under conditions we can only guess at. Gasses, radiation, giant green space hands, all of these should leave some marks over time.
I don't think so. The ships are equipped with deflectors exactly to avoid this.
TOS was somewhat iffy on one thing and that was the ability of deflector shields to protect against thermal radiation. In The Squire of Gothos episode, Trelane fired heat beams at the Enterprise while Kirk was on the planet and Scotty tells Kirk he can't drop shields to beam him up because the ship would burn up like a cinder. This would indicate that shields were able to protect the ship from thermal radiation, at least to a certain degree. Conversely, and I can't name the exact episode at the moment (there may have been more than one) where the Enterprise was in orbit but her engines were completely shut down causing her orbit to decay; this put the Enterprise in danger of burning up in the planet's atmosphere (IIRC the bridge crew was even shown sweating). I can only assume if shields were effective against heat they would have been activated; of course, that would have reduced the dramatic element of the ship's imminent destruction to nil so not good TV.
So it would appear there is some room to allow for scorch marks appearing on the ship's outer hull based on the latter example.
"You broke your little ships."

My albums on flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/29607470@N08/sets/

User avatar
NCC1966
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore
Posts: 1281
Joined: Thu May 19, 2016 6:20 pm
Location: Brasil, SP

Re: Weathering on starships? Seriously?

Post by NCC1966 » Wed Nov 16, 2016 6:15 pm

Well, these inconsistencies "for the sake of the good TV" are a constant on sci-fi shows. I read somewhere that the Galaxy class ship engines supposed to be sophisticated enough to not need an engineer aboard or a maintenance crew (issue free). Now imagine how boring would be the episodes without a periodic crisis in the engineering room!

:lol:
Thanks,

Yan.

User avatar
Moongrim
Fatidical Fleet Admiral (CW)
Fatidical Fleet Admiral (CW)
Posts: 4943
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:36 pm
Location: West of Eugene Oregon.

Re: Weathering on starships? Seriously?

Post by Moongrim » Thu Nov 17, 2016 2:01 pm

NCC1966 wrote:Well, these inconsistencies "for the sake of the good TV" are a constant on sci-fi shows. I read somewhere that the Galaxy class ship engines supposed to be sophisticated enough to not need an engineer aboard or a maintenance crew (issue free). Now imagine how boring would be the episodes without a periodic crisis in the engineering room!

:lol:
Boring? Yes. But such improves the chances of surviving long enough to retire.
There are Times, Sir, when men of good Conscience cannot blindly follow orders. You acknowledge their sentience, but ignore their personal liberties and freedoms. Order a man to hand over his child to the state? Not while I"m captain.
- J.L.Picard.

User avatar
NCC1966
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore
Posts: 1281
Joined: Thu May 19, 2016 6:20 pm
Location: Brasil, SP

Re: Weathering on starships? Seriously?

Post by NCC1966 » Thu Nov 17, 2016 3:45 pm

Moongrim wrote:
NCC1966 wrote:Well, these inconsistencies "for the sake of the good TV" are a constant on sci-fi shows. I read somewhere that the Galaxy class ship engines supposed to be sophisticated enough to not need an engineer aboard or a maintenance crew (issue free). Now imagine how boring would be the episodes without a periodic crisis in the engineering room!

:lol:
Boring? Yes. But such improves the chances of surviving long enough to retire.
I meant from the perspective of the audience.

:roll:

I don't care about ST cast retirement and do not get preoccupied if anyone aboard a Federation starship will be toasted playing with the anti-matter chamber. Actually I cheer all the time to it happen!

:mrgreen:
Thanks,

Yan.

User avatar
trekriffic
Can-Do Captain (CW)
Can-Do Captain (CW)
Posts: 1843
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:16 pm

Re: Weathering on starships? Seriously?

Post by trekriffic » Thu Nov 17, 2016 5:05 pm

NCC1966 wrote:I don't care about ST cast retirement and do not get preoccupied if anyone aboard a Federation starship will be toasted playing with the anti-matter chamber. Actually I cheer all the time to it happen! :mrgreen:
:lol: ... Now who does THAT sound like? Oh yeah! This guy!
Q.jpg
Q.jpg (73.39 KiB) Viewed 1615 times
"You broke your little ships."

My albums on flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/29607470@N08/sets/

User avatar
NCC1966
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore
Posts: 1281
Joined: Thu May 19, 2016 6:20 pm
Location: Brasil, SP

Re: Weathering on starships? Seriously?

Post by NCC1966 » Thu Nov 17, 2016 5:59 pm

:rofl2:
Thanks,

Yan.

Post Reply

Return to “Finishing”