Looking for advice on basing models

Tools and techniques used for preparation and assembly.
TonyG2
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Looking for advice on basing models

Post by TonyG2 »

One think I struggle with, especially with the 1/2500 scale kits, is getting them mounted on individual bases that look "right".

I don't know about you, but I absolutely hated the old three ship set base (for the TOS, Refit and EntD). Not only was it big and ugly, it contained more plastic than the three kits in the box.....

Round 2 now sell their dome bases separately and that is a good thing but I am looking for a (cheaper) way to mount the models in a uniform manner that also provides for decent stability and allows me to remove the model from the stand if required for storage.

I have tried various approaches. Cutting down plastic container tops (spray can lids that kind of thing) to a shallow "dome", filling with plaster for weight. I have tried using plastic tube for mounting but never looks right. Brass tube was even worse. I like the solid metal rod that the Round 2 bases use but can't seem to find anything of a suitable type and size in local DIY shops (forget the hobby shops such as they are, they don't even stock Plastruct).

My idea for fitting the rod (when I can get one) into the base is to drill a suitable sized hole into the ship at the centreline/centre of gravity and glue into that a capped off plastic tube that the rod will fit snuggly within yet limit how far it goes into the model. Again, finding the right size tube to the right size rod is a problem.

Any suggestions for a less frustrating way to base the models up and that can be adapted to any size kit - from a tiny Defiant up to a Valdore warbird or larger?

Edit: Sorry, realise this should have been in the Finishing section not Construction
Moongrim
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Re: Looking for advice on basing models

Post by Moongrim »

TonyG2 wrote:One think I struggle with, especially with the 1/2500 scale kits, is getting them mounted on individual bases that look "right".

I don't know about you, but I absolutely hated the old three ship set base (for the TOS, Refit and EntD). Not only was it big and ugly, it contained more plastic than the three kits in the box.....

Round 2 now sell their dome bases separately and that is a good thing but I am looking for a (cheaper) way to mount the models in a uniform manner that also provides for decent stability and allows me to remove the model from the stand if required for storage.

I have tried various approaches. Cutting down plastic container tops (spray can lids that kind of thing) to a shallow "dome", filling with plaster for weight. I have tried using plastic tube for mounting but never looks right. Brass tube was even worse. I like the solid metal rod that the Round 2 bases use but can't seem to find anything of a suitable type and size in local DIY shops (forget the hobby shops such as they are, they don't even stock Plastruct).

My idea for fitting the rod (when I can get one) into the base is to drill a suitable sized hole into the ship at the centreline/centre of gravity and glue into that a capped off plastic tube that the rod will fit snuggly within yet limit how far it goes into the model. Again, finding the right size tube to the right size rod is a problem.

Any suggestions for a less frustrating way to base the models up and that can be adapted to any size kit - from a tiny Defiant up to a Valdore warbird or larger?

Edit: Sorry, realise this should have been in the Finishing section not Construction
What I've been doing for most of my models I've completed (including the occasional sacred scale one) is to purchase fence post tops

and use them as my base. Find a flat one, drill a hole into it, and use a brass rod to mount the model onto (also center of gravity) it. I usually just paint my bases flat black to simulate space, but I've also sprinkled white paint onto them to simulate a star pattern.
There are Times, Sir, when men of good Conscience cannot blindly follow orders. You acknowledge their sentience, but ignore their personal liberties and freedoms. Order a man to hand over his child to the state? Not while I"m captain.
- J.L.Picard.
TonyG2
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Post by TonyG2 »

Thanks

That would be much more stable than my plastic top filled with plaster approach. Less messy as well.....
trekriffic
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by trekriffic »

You can find various sized wooden plaques at craft stores, like Michaels or Hobby Lobby. These are really too large to use for smaller scales (unless you are placing 3 or 4 together on one base) so I found these small diameter wooden discs in the aisle where they sell the plaques. They are just thick enough for you to drill a hole and mount a brass rod. Here's my 1/2500 K'Tinga:
IMG_8448.JPG
IMG_8448.JPG (78.42 KiB) Viewed 3400 times
They come four to a bag I think and they are cheap. I paint mine black but you can paint them whatever color you choose.
"You broke your little ships."

My albums on flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/29607470@N08/sets/
Tesral
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Tesral »

I used to use oval plaques from Michael's, et all. I now use 0.25' acrylic ovals. Not the cheapest bases, but they look great on glass shelving.

Stands are easy. 3/32 brass tubing. The larger models have a hole that fits the tube. The smaller models have an inch of 1/16 rod permanently installed that telescopes into the 3/32 tube.
Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
"I saw it done on Voyager" is no excuse for anything, even breathing.
TonyG2
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Post by TonyG2 »

Thanks

One problem we have over here is that, so far as I am aware, there are no Hobby Lobby or Michaels outlets in the UK.

There are some remaining real world hobby shops. Locally there is a Hobbycraft and a branch of Antics. Antics is OK for models, although my local store is heavy on railway and r/c models and light on the rest. Hobbycraft used to be good but lately seems to focus on "craft" than hobby. Great if you like stringing glass beads, whittling or are stuffing toy animals. Less so if you build model kits.....

Had a really good store locally (OK 20 miles away, but still fairly local). Had diecast models downstairs and upstairs, half railway and half model kits. Loads of Plastruct, brass rod, clear acrylic rod etc and all the paints and chemicals you could want.

Alas, it closed a year or so ago due to (a) the owner retiring and no one wanting to take over and (b) competition from internet sales.
Kremin
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by Kremin »

TonyG2 wrote:Thanks

Had a really good store locally (OK 20 miles away, but still fairly local). Had diecast models downstairs and upstairs, half railway and half model kits. Loads of Plastruct, brass rod, clear acrylic rod etc and all the paints and chemicals you could want.

Alas, it closed a year or so ago due to (a) the owner retiring and no one wanting to take over and (b) competition from internet sales.
Are you talking about Gladstones in North Shields?

If so these may be of use to you
https://www.northeastmodelcentre.co.uk/
https://models4hobby.co.uk/

and for craft supplies uncluding acrylic and wood cutting service
https://www.acryliccraft.co.uk/
el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by el gato »

Years ago, in another forum, one modeler derisively called another's mounting of his model as a "starship on a stick." While I think the guy was a royal @$$ for saying it, it made me think that I needed to think outside the box. That's why I came up with these. They're not cheap, but I think the effort was worth it:

RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.
MEATLOAFr
Velutinous Vice Admiral
Velutinous Vice Admiral

Post by MEATLOAFr »

el gato wrote:Years ago, in another forum, one modeler derisively called another's mounting of his model as a "starship on a stick." While I think the guy was a royal @$$ for saying it, it made me think that I needed to think outside the box. That's why I came up with these. They're not cheap, but I think the effort was worth it:

those klingon one kinda look like their on the tips of a Bat'leth - which would be cool :ugeek:
If the world ends tomorrow, it's ALL YOUR FAULT!!!
Custom Decals, and Vinyl Cutting services available
ABLE TO PRINT DECALS IN WHITE
NOW ABLE TO 3D PRINT SMALL SCALE MODELS (ANYCUBIC PHOTON & MONO X) have STL, will print!!
el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by el gato »

Ha! I always thought of them as swooshes (Mrs. Gato calls them crescent moons). But you're right. They do look like little bat'leths
RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.

Return to “Construction”