3D Printing Help

Tools and techniques used for preparation and assembly.
patrickivan
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

3D Printing Help

Post by patrickivan »

Ordinarily I wouldn't want to bug people for their time with something, but I'm a little stuck on this.

How would I go about converting sketchup files into a 3D printable format?

There are a couple I'd like to have made: My avatar in 1:350 scale (that I believe may be too big really- at about 18cm, it would probably cost a fortune to print). I'd like this to be hollow, because it really lends itself to have a partial interior built up too.

And my corvette class and emergency repair vessel at 1:2500...

Hey, on a different note, sorta, has anyone done a TMP bridge printout for the 1:350 scale model that is actually the correct size for that model? I tried building one, and at 1:350, it does NOT fit in the bridge module. I had to drop it down a deck.
shiftdel
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Re: 3D Printing Help

Post by shiftdel »

patrickivan, it would depend on the model itself. For me most of the times it is harder to make 3d printable an existing model than to model a new one from scratch, so it may or no b worth to take the time to make it printable.
MEATLOAFr
Velutinous Vice Admiral
Velutinous Vice Admiral

Post by MEATLOAFr »

blender sould do that, you just need to install the proper extensions for it to be able to handle the format - then save as a different file type
If the world ends tomorrow, it's ALL YOUR FAULT!!!
Custom Decals, and Vinyl Cutting services available
ABLE TO PRINT DECALS IN WHITE
NOW ABLE TO 3D PRINT SMALL SCALE MODELS (ANYCUBIC PHOTON & MONO X) have STL, will print!!
marcnoonan
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by marcnoonan »

[quote="patrickivan"]Ordinarily I wouldn't want to bug people for their time with something, but I'm a little stuck on this.

How would I go about converting sketchup files into a 3D printable format?

There are a couple I'd like to have made: My avatar in 1:350 scale (that I believe may be too big really- at about 18cm, it would probably cost a fortune to print). I'd like this to be hollow, because it really lends itself to have a partial interior built up too.

And my corvette class and emergency repair vessel at 1:2500...
quote]

Hi Patrick,

Send me a pm with your contact email and I'll be able to convert the files for you as it'll take me seconds and if you have meshes for the other ships and Avatar I'll be able to make them printable in any material/scale as I do .stl correction for a living.

Cheers

Marc
My Shapeways Shop
http://www.shapeways.com/shops/1/2500%2 ... e-products

Gallery
http://www.shapeways.com/designer/marcnoonan
If there's any model of anything you want that's not available anywhere.....send me a PM.
el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by el gato »

patrickivan wrote:How would I go about converting sketchup files into a 3D printable format?
Sorry for being late to the party, patrickivan. If you were to convert the .skb files to .stl you should be able to 3D print them everywhere. Go to the "Help" menu and search for .stl extensions. Download and you should be good
RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.
patrickivan
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by patrickivan »

Thanks, Man... You're late? Phf... I'm so busy look how late I'm replying. And it's MY thread LOL>

marcnoonan offered some assistance, and I STILL haven't sent him any files.

On a side note, I'll certainly need to print from a Canadian source. I was looking at some prices on stuff, and holy moly, the cost of the item to print is kind of bad enough, but add shipping and the prices practically double.

I'll eventually get around to it.

I do appreciate assistance people give here though.
el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by el gato »

There's a website call 3D Hubs (I think). They're all supposed to be independent printers. You may want to give it a try. Since it seems All Good Things will now come from Canada (with your handsome & intelligent PM who cuddles with panda babies and all), there might be a 3D printer near you.
RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.
feldon30
Lighting Fast Lieutenant JG
Lighting Fast Lieutenant JG

Post by feldon30 »

Different 3D printers require different formats. It is impossible to guess what format you need until you know what 3D printer you will be using to print.
el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by el gato »

True. STL is pretty universal so it doesn't hurt to have a copy of your mesh in that format. The tricky thing is to figure out what material to use
patrickivan
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by patrickivan »

Oh- well thanks fellas... That's not making it more complicated now. Different printers matter?!
Arg :lol:
Guess that makes sense now that I put any thought into it.

And our PM... Well, heck. He's a politician. As far as I'm concerned, party lines are BS and most politicians are (no matter what they say) serving their own interests in the end, regardless or liberal, conservative, or other. Politicians and lawyers. Ugh.

I'll say no more. LOL

Return to “Construction”