USS Reliant: I need urgent suggestions!

Tools and techniques used for preparation and assembly.
NCC1966
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

USS Reliant: I need urgent suggestions!

Post by NCC1966 »

Hey all,

After to finish all the electronics (updates soon in the blog!) of my 1/537 Reliant I am about to close the saucer, glue the nacelles on place and start the final touches!

:mrgreen:

Unfortunately due to my bad design :( I ran out of space to make the shuttle bays. Since I am not going to revisit the project to find the necessary room I am planning to go for a simpler solution that is to make the bays appear off duty.

The best way I can think of is to paint the inner side of the clear doors but the question is: what would be the best color for this? Black? White? Dark grey? Chrome silver? What?

:?:
Thanks,

Yan.
trekriffic
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Re: USS Reliant: I need urgent suggestions!

Post by trekriffic »

NCC1966 wrote:Hey all,

After to finish all the electronics (updates soon in the blog!) of my 1/537 Reliant I am about to close the saucer, glue the nacelles on place and start the final touches!

Unfortunately due to my bad design :( I ran out of space to make the shuttle bays. Since I am not going to revisit the project to find the necessary room I am planning to go for a simpler solution that is to make the bays appear off duty.

The best way I can think of is to paint the inner side of the clear doors but the question is: what would be the best color for this? Black? White? Dark grey? Chrome silver? What?

:?:
If the doors are clear you need to lightblock them on the backside-usually I use black paint for that. Then paint the outward face of the doors light blue-grey. If you don't want to paint the outward face you could first paint the inside of the doors light blue-grey, then maybe white, then the black for light blocking. From the outside you'd see light blue-grey doors.
"You broke your little ships."

My albums on flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/29607470@N08/sets/
NCC1966
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by NCC1966 »

Thanks, Trek!

The light blue grey is a very nice suggestion and a bit of light grey with a dab of intermediate blue will do the magic. I will double paint the clear parts inside (first black and then the grey).

:)
Thanks,

Yan.
trekriffic
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by trekriffic »

NCC1966 wrote:Thanks, Trek!

The light blue grey is a very nice suggestion and a bit of light grey with a dab of intermediate blue will do the magic. I will double paint the clear parts inside (first black and then the grey).

:)
So you are planning to paint the doors on the outside as well then? If you paint the inside black with the first coat you'll see black when looking at them from the outside, unless you paint the doors light blue-grey on the outside.

NCC1966
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by NCC1966 »

I won't paint outside. I mixed out things. I will paint the gray first and then the black, both inside.

:P
Thanks,

Yan.
NCC1966
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by NCC1966 »

Just painted the two layers of gray with a paintbrush -- seems to be great. Will let it dry and tomorrow I will layer the black over them!

Thanks,

Yan.
trekriffic
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by trekriffic »

NCC1966 wrote:Just painted the two layers of gray with a paintbrush -- seems to be great. Will let it dry and tomorrow I will layer the black over them!

An alternative to painting with black paint would be to cover the inside of the doors with bare metal foil. I've also used squares of Duck brand adhesive backed black vinyl paper for light blocking in the past.

One question for you, are the doors recessed? They should be to be screen accurate. Assuming they are, you could light the recesses around the doors if you neatly light block the doors and the inside of the hull around the door frames leaving the walls of the recesses unblocked except for some narrow foil strips to create the narrow lit illuminated strips like you see in these images of my 1/1000 Saratoga:
IMG_9060.jpg
IMG_9135.jpg
If you decide to attempt this you might want to shine a bright LED at the back of each door so the alcoves really light up nice and bright to frame the doors. Foil would work great as it blocks light where you don't want it to shine thru but also reflects light all around where you do want it.

Anyway, if you are already familiar with these techniques please forgive me for going on to excess about them. I'm just getting all excited to see this baby all tricked out with someplace to go! :)

Return to “Construction”