The Long Road of Kitbashing...

Tools and techniques used for preparation and assembly.
RogueWolf
Velutinous Vice Admiral
Velutinous Vice Admiral

The Long Road of Kitbashing...

Post by RogueWolf »

...Or 'the love of using giant robot shields as starship parts'.

Oh about twelve or fifteen years ago, maybe a few more, I picked up a Gundam Shield and thought, "That has a sleek look to it, almost as if it could be a ship itself."

And So I got to cutting styreen and adding other existing kit parts and came up with one of my first Production kitbashes, the Reflex Class Rapid Response ship;

Ugh! I've come a long way, baby!

After a lot of trial and error years later I came up with my Vigiliant Class, a follow on design to the Defiant class, again using a Gundam kit shield;

By far, one of my favorate designs ever.

More reciently, I used another Gundam shield in my Sentry Class design;
The Sentry Class was changed to the Sparta Class and then put into production;

For the Seolkis Class build I used three (!) different shields, two plastic, one resin;

And now Here I am using a Five Star Stories Shield in my big Leviathan Class build;

And I'm not done yet, I have a few more types of shields and designs waiting on the back bench for when I get around to them! :D
Last edited by RogueWolf on Thu Mar 19, 2015 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Check out my NorthTrek Creations kits at:
http://www.mvmodels.biz/northtrek.asp
Valar Morghulis
Moongrim
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Re: The Long Road of Kitbashing...

Post by Moongrim »

The mark of a true artist- inspiration everywhere.
There are Times, Sir, when men of good Conscience cannot blindly follow orders. You acknowledge their sentience, but ignore their personal liberties and freedoms. Order a man to hand over his child to the state? Not while I"m captain.
- J.L.Picard.
Del
Starship Engineer
Starship Engineer

Post by Del »

RogueWolf, I think the first one is called something else maybe? I can't remember the name, but it's not a Cyclone.
Multi-Verse Models - http://www.mvmodels.biz or find me on Facebook
Retail sales of kits from Design Anomaly, Kessel Run Kits, NorthTrek Creations, Alternate Paradigms, and more!
el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by el gato »

Yeah, the donor ships to the Cyclone carrier are easily identifiable. I don't think a shield was part of it. Or was the "Cyclone Class Rapid Response ship" separate from the Cyclone Class carrier?

And should we start calling you an Agent of Shield? :P
RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.
RogueWolf
Velutinous Vice Admiral
Velutinous Vice Admiral

Post by RogueWolf »

Thanks for pointing that out Del, that ship is indeed not the Cyclone, it is the Reflex Class. I guess I should go back to having a coffee in the morning...

So that should read, "The Reflex Class Rapid Response Ship..." she was named in honor of Reflex Point from the Robotech series.

All in all, I have about two, maybe three more shield based designs sitting around.

-Moongrim, mark or curse? Do you know how hard it is trying not to buy tons of kits just because there are one or two cool parts in them that you could use for a bash? It can get real expensive - real fast!

I like that last part "Agent of Shield" :lol:
Valar Morghulis
Moongrim
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by Moongrim »

-Moongrim, mark or curse? Do you know how hard it is trying not to buy tons of kits just because there are one or two cool parts in them that you could use for a bash? It can get real expensive - real fast!

Tell me about it. "looking at the amount of garage space taken up by opened model kits".
There are Times, Sir, when men of good Conscience cannot blindly follow orders. You acknowledge their sentience, but ignore their personal liberties and freedoms. Order a man to hand over his child to the state? Not while I"m captain.
- J.L.Picard.
RogueWolf
Velutinous Vice Admiral
Velutinous Vice Admiral

Post by RogueWolf »

OK, I'm sure I have 'Modeling ADD' now.

As I was trying to work on the Leviathan, Seolkis, Possession and Re-Connie - not to mention the Bragging Rights Entry - I got distracted by a 1/350 F-14. Damn thing gave me an idea for a TOS Era scout. I had to drop everything and get to work on this new build.

How's a guy supposed to get anything done? And what the hell is up with TOS era? I don't have anything in that timeframe except the re-connie build.
Valar Morghulis
MEATLOAFr
Velutinous Vice Admiral
Velutinous Vice Admiral

Post by MEATLOAFr »

el gato wrote:And should we start calling you an Agent of Shield? :P

don;t give him any idea's... he's busy enough, and easily distracttteedd....HEY A SQUIRREL, ohhh that's a shiny penny overthere
If the world ends tomorrow, it's ALL YOUR FAULT!!!
Custom Decals, and Vinyl Cutting services available
ABLE TO PRINT DECALS IN WHITE
NOW ABLE TO 3D PRINT SMALL SCALE MODELS (ANYCUBIC PHOTON & MONO X) have STL, will print!!
curt
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by curt »

Squril... what about the starburst? Oh and dont forget the unicorn that just walked threw with the easter bunny on its back, pooping rainbows, whilst the bunny is throwing modle kits from its basket of goodies...
Tesral
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Tesral »

MEATLOAFr wrote:
el gato wrote:And should we start calling you an Agent of Shield? :P

don;t give him any idea's... he's busy enough, and easily distracttteedd....HEY A SQUIRREL, ohhh that's a shiny penny overthere
Squirrel class rapid random response ship!!!
Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
"I saw it done on Voyager" is no excuse for anything, even breathing.

Return to “Construction”