Scratchbuilding Nacelles - Part Deux

Tools and techniques used for preparation and assembly.
el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Re: Scratchbuilding Nacelles - Part Deux

Post by el gato » Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:53 pm

Thanks everyone. I'll try it again.... said Sisyphus
Tesral wrote:Two things, use the right thickness, and go slowly massage the curve into the plastic.
In this case, it was a thin sheet :?
RogueWolf wrote:If using thicker styreen, try heating it up first too, take care while doing it, depending on how hot your heat source it, the plastic might 'curl' on you in an undesired direction.
Ya, that happened
Del wrote:Or you might burn your fingers too. :yipes:
Yeah, that happened too :lol:
RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.

Tesral
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Tesral » Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:52 am

RogueWolf wrote: If using thicker styreen, try heating it up first too, take care while doing it, depending on how hot your heat source it, the plastic might 'curl' on you in an undesired direction.
Heating pad of hair dryer at most. Styrene goes from solid to not so solid reeeeal fast.

I was creating a walking stick for a figure (120mm ought to drag her out and finish it.) and the styrene rod to become the branch was slowly being heated over the stove well above the flame. It very suddenly when from stiff to noodle. Get away from the fire, twist it with a wrist flick and it hardened as fast. I've hit that point stretching sprune as well.
Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
"I saw it done on Voyager" is no excuse for anything, even breathing.

RogueWolf
Resolute Rear Admiral (UH)

Post by RogueWolf » Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:20 pm

If the second nacelle build goes well, I'll consider adding these to the Nacelle Parts lineup.
Check out my NorthTrek Creations kits at:
http://www.mvmodels.biz/northtrek.asp
Valar Morghulis

RogueWolf

Post by RogueWolf » Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:18 am

OK, lets try to get this thread back on track, first shortening the nacelle. I selected a selection of several millimeters from the middle of the nacelle.

"The middle?" you question, "Why not the end, then simply add the end cap?"

Cause the inside 'warp grill' needs to be shortened, I reply! Silly you!!! So grab your razor saws and let the cutting carnage begin!

Now, there might be better ways to join two parts of a cylinder together, but here is the way I chose to do it;

First lightly sand the ends of the cut side so they are as close to 90 degrees as possible. I also chose to sand the edges slight rounded, that way when the two are joined, I ligh them up by eye and later putty the join and sand clean afterwards.

Second, in this case, I had to lightly drill out the inside of the nacelle to fit a smaller styrene tube. This bridges the two cut halves of the nacelle.

Both ends have to be drilled out for the styrene tube;

And test fit before gluing;

Comparison Shot with the first nacelle;

And after gluing the two halves, the puttying;

A lot of people use 'Zap-a-gap' to fill in the tiny seams and cracks, as I don't have 'Zap-a-gap', so I use Crazy-glue. If you look back up at the comparison shot of the two nacelles, you'll see the top one has a nice clean join in the inside warp grill, I'll attempt to do the exact same thing with the second nacelle. Right now the putty is drying, once it's done, I'll sand her up a bit and report back to the thread.

See you soon!
Valar Morghulis

Tesral
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Tesral » Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:41 am

Add baking soda to gap filling glue and you get instant hardener. I have used this for hole filling and gap filling.
Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
"I saw it done on Voyager" is no excuse for anything, even breathing.

el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by el gato » Tue Dec 30, 2014 5:27 pm

Thanks about the tip to round out the edges. I always leave them at 90 and then curse the itty bitty piece of putty that refuses to cram itself into the joint for a smooth finish.
RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.

RogueWolf

Post by RogueWolf » Tue Dec 30, 2014 5:33 pm

Tesral wrote:Add baking soda to gap filling glue and you get instant hardener. I have used this for hole filling and gap filling.
Another excellent tip! Thanks Tesral!
Valar Morghulis

RogueWolf

Post by RogueWolf » Wed Jan 07, 2015 3:10 am

Long over due update time!

OK, I kicked myself off the couch... and landed on the xbox playing HALO. So I kicked myself off the xbox and out to the bench.

I added the bussard shield to the second nacelle. I then grabbed the first nacelle and started adding the 'claws' that seem to hold the bussard dome in place as seen here;

Getting that 'fork' in the styrene was going to be a challenge so I decided to try gluing small styrene strips to the nacelle then gently running a razor saw blade down the middle of the styrene strip;

Whats next? Adding detail to the aft end of the nacelle, I've marked the locations with a pencil where I have to add styrene details;

Hopefully after I get these details done on both nacelle I can move on to the pylon supports on the lower part of the nacelle.
Valar Morghulis

el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by el gato » Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:33 pm

:thumbsup:

Silverloc
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Post by Silverloc » Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:40 pm

Wow, this is looking awesome so far, and I'm learning a bunch :D

Return to “Construction”