Am I doing this wrong?

Tools and techniques used for preparation and assembly.
IceGiant
Lemme At Em Lieutenant
Lemme At Em Lieutenant

Am I doing this wrong?

Post by IceGiant »

I picked up some Plastruct plastic weld at my LHS as I read here that a lot of folks like it. I applied it to both sides (nacelles and saucer section of my amt reliant kit. I clamped them over night and the next day I checked the. Both sides pulled apart when I was checking the seams. Am I supposed to only apply it to one side? Might I have a bad batch?
zookman
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Re: Am I doing this wrong?

Post by zookman »

i personaly havnt used this befor but if its a thin liquid cement it may be drying befor the parts are put together .. i use a liquid cement applied with a small brush and hold the part togehter and let the cement wick into the joint and then press or clamp them together for a few min till it sets and work my way around the seam if its a large one like the nacells and hull parts .. the stuff i use ( tenax 7r ) dries almost as fast as ya apply it on an open partit will soften the plastic tho .. but works well on seams it melts the plastic together and makes for a good bond .. sometimes i over do it tho on big parts and get a bit of glue oozing out but that just means no putty lol and when trimmed and sanded it all plastic in the joint ..
curt
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by curt »

I prefer tenex7r as opposed to the plastistruc cement. But they are both used the same. Put both halves togeather and then touch a small bead of glue to the joint. Let capilery acction draw the glue into the seam. Clamp and let dry. The problem you have is that you applied to both sides. The glue is a solbent base glue and dries very quickly. By the time you put both halves togeather the solvent was probably almost complety evaporated. Let me know if this helps.

Curt
Julien
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by Julien »

What the others have said... Hold the parts in position, put the welder in the seam, hold for 5 seconds, and you're good... ;)
The Belgian Builder
IceGiant
Lemme At Em Lieutenant
Lemme At Em Lieutenant

Post by IceGiant »

Ahhhh, so I am doing it wrong, gotcha. Thank you guys.
zookman
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by zookman »

just so ya know .. advice has its costs .. cookies are always welcomed as payment :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
FatherRob
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander
Location: Bargersville, Indiana, USA, NA, Sol III, Terran System

Post by FatherRob »

Okay, so a subquestion on this concept... why is it that I almost never get the Tenax or Plastistruct to actually wick down the seams? I have to constantly apply the stuff, in essence I just paint over the seam with the brush.
zookman
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by zookman »

i hold them together loosely with just a noticable gap at the seam thenstarting at one end ill let it wick in sometimes ya can see it then press that end together with a bit of force and keep working around seam till ita done .. ya can tell if ya got a realy good bond if a bit of plastic oozes out of seam as ya go along
Owen E Oulton
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Post by Owen E Oulton »

Hi, Chris.

I'm not particularly fond of Plastruc Plastic Weld. It seems to be "thickened" with something that impairs setting, but otherwise is similar to other methylene chloride cements. If you go out to Hobby House on Montreal Road, you can get other glues that perform better. Some are MBS Solvent Cement in the large brown bottle (100ml for $7-8.00), Tenax 7R (1 fl. oz. [29ml] for $4.50), or Ambroid Liquid Cement (no idea on the price). I have a big jug of pure methylene chloride that I got from a plastics supplier ages ago and refill my bottles with it.
Tesral
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Tesral »

If it is working you are not doing it wrong.
Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
"I saw it done on Voyager" is no excuse for anything, even breathing.

Return to “Construction”