Scratchbuilding simple Nacelles - step by step

Tools and techniques used for preparation and assembly.
RogueWolf
Velutinous Vice Admiral
Velutinous Vice Admiral

Re: Scratchbuilding simple Nacelles - step by step

Post by RogueWolf »

The design as stated is from Atolm. I've been trying to track him down for weeks now. From info I've gathered on several other boards, he hasn't been active in almost a year. So if you want it, you'll have to build it for yourself. I can't speak for everyone but I won't build another persons design for kitting without their permission.
Check out my NorthTrek Creations kits at:
http://www.mvmodels.biz/northtrek.asp
Valar Morghulis
el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by el gato »

RogueWolf wrote:The design as stated is from Atolm. I've been trying to track him down for weeks now. From info I've gathered on several other boards, he hasn't been active in almost a year. So if you want it, you'll have to build it for yourself. I can't speak for everyone but I won't build another persons design for kitting without their permission.
Definitely. It would be a personal build
RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.
Silverloc
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Post by Silverloc »

Just looking at the design as is, I don't think you could kitbash it very easy. You could use an Ent-B primary hull..with a lot of modifications, and maybe a Ent-A secondary hull again with heavy modifications, but I think the rest would have to be scratch built.
el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by el gato »

Silverloc wrote:Image
Silverloc wrote:Just looking at the design as is, I don't think you could kitbash it very easy. You could use an Ent-B primary hull..with a lot of modifications, and maybe a Ent-A secondary hull again with heavy modifications, but I think the rest would have to be scratch built.
Those are some of the questions I have. Among others is how to marry the non-saucer hulls. If we were to picture the dorsal hull as it would look from the front, it would be narrow at the top and taper so that it would be at its widest near the saucer. The ventral hull would be similar but inverse. The two hulls would form a diamond if viewed from the front. If I'm correct, then the deflector shield lines would be drawn differently from the side than the way Atolm has them drawn. The drawing implies that the curves of one hull naturally (and linearly) feed into the lines of the other. There's a contradiction that can only be resolved by another view. This is another reason why I said we needed an ortho or front view, though I didn't express it that way.

If I were to scratchbuild this, I would have to make changes and compromises to make the design not only work with the parts I'd have but also to approximate the look. The nacelle piece might end up being the easiest part of this... :P
RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.
RogueWolf
Velutinous Vice Admiral
Velutinous Vice Admiral

Post by RogueWolf »

To me, the saucer looks like an ENT-C saucer, which would change the engineering hulls altogether scale wise...
Valar Morghulis
el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by el gato »

Should we ask an admin to break out the posts about this ship into its own thread? I think I derailed your thread on nacelles and people interested in scratchbuilding nacelles might not care about this design. On the other hand, I think several of us would want to pick each other's brains about how to build this
RogueWolf
Velutinous Vice Admiral
Velutinous Vice Admiral

Post by RogueWolf »

El gato, I was just thinking on starting a new thread dedicated to Atolm's designs.
Valar Morghulis
Silverloc
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Post by Silverloc »

Oh, I have more of his designs tucked away in my "Not Sure how to Classify" folders on my computer :)
MEATLOAFr
Velutinous Vice Admiral
Velutinous Vice Admiral

Post by MEATLOAFr »

Silverloc wrote:Oh, I have more of his designs tucked away in my "Not Sure how to Classify" folders on my computer :)
maybe a new section just for designs?
If the world ends tomorrow, it's ALL YOUR FAULT!!!
Custom Decals, and Vinyl Cutting services available
ABLE TO PRINT DECALS IN WHITE
NOW ABLE TO 3D PRINT SMALL SCALE MODELS (ANYCUBIC PHOTON & MONO X) have STL, will print!!
el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by el gato »

RogueWolf wrote:El gato, I was just thinking on starting a new thread dedicated to Atolm's designs.
See? It's possible for a great mind and a mediocre one like mine to think alike. After all, even a broken analog clock is right twice a day

Return to “Construction”