Hello from new member...

New to the forum? Tell us a little about yourself and what you collect here.
phasers-on-fun
Erratic Ensign
Erratic Ensign

Hello from new member...

Post by phasers-on-fun »

Hello,

I am new to these forums, having joined a few days ago. I have spent several days perusing the forums to better understand the social climate and content flow.

I am autistic. This means I am extremely literal.

My wife insists that I need a hobby to occupy my time, stimulate my brain, and to help maintain my dexterity and motor skills. Since I have always loved models and model building, this hobby seems a natural choice, and so I am re-entering the hobby after a long hiatus of nearly 10 years.

I am a mediocre model builder at best. I have never built any science fiction kits. There was a time in my modeling life when accuracy was paramount. I found that this pursuit of perfection diminished my enjoyment of the hobby, and I believe it ultimately is what led to my hiatus.

Though I have a three-foot tall stormtrooper on my office desk (named Stewie), I have always been "a Star Trek guy," and so I plan to build models from this storied franchise. I'd like to produce representative examples of my favorite subjects focusing on solid modeling fundamentals (clean, professional-looking builds) rather than obsessing on the small details... I want to enjoy the hobby more this time around.

Before posting here, I will certainly look for answers to my inquiries on these forums, but in the case of topic duplication, I ask for patience. I have a good knowledge of a broad range of modeling techniques, but knowledge is not practice, and there are some areas I still find unclear or have not tried.

I have seen some beautiful models on this site. I am looking forward to getting to know everyone.

Robert
Jolan tru...
Tesral
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Hello from new member...

Post by Tesral »

Welcome to the site.

As to perfection being a hindrance. It is formally known as "letting perfect be the enemy of good". Many of us suffer this issue, including myself, autistic or not. We understand.

Enjoy your new/old hobby.
Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
"I saw it done on Voyager" is no excuse for anything, even breathing.
Halgebra
Captain USS Rachel
Captain USS Rachel

Post by Halgebra »

I joined earlier this year and it has helped me to see that other modelers run into snags and difficulties regardless of their experience level. Also I enjoy seeing what drives each modeler, be it accuracy or love of a certain Trek era, etc.
ProfArturo
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by ProfArturo »

Welcome, and as in most things, you're your own worst critic.
TrekMD
Head of Starfleet Medical
Head of Starfleet Medical

Post by TrekMD »

Welcome to AST!
Medicus ad astra, non laedant...
phasers-on-fun
Erratic Ensign
Erratic Ensign

Post by phasers-on-fun »

Thank you for the welcome.

Robert
Jolan tru...
trekriffic
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by trekriffic »

Welcome aboard Robert. Though technically not a Newbie, as you have some modeling experience already, you may want to check out the Newbie Modeler Corner. Lots of good stuff to help you get back into the flow.
Glad to have you as a member.
Steve
"You broke your little ships."

My albums on flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/29607470@N08/sets/
phasers-on-fun
Erratic Ensign
Erratic Ensign

Post by phasers-on-fun »

trekriffic wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 5:48 pm Welcome aboard Robert. Though technically not a Newbie, as you have some modeling experience already, you may want to check out the Newbie Modeler Corner. Lots of good stuff to help you get back into the flow.
Glad to have you as a member.
Steve
Thank you. I have spent many hours on the site and have read hundreds of posts. Very informative, as you suggest.

I am planning to start with something very basic: the small Botany Bay from the "Space Seed" set.

Robert
Jolan tru...

Return to “Introductions”