StarTrek.com TOS Enterprise Colours

Manufacturers, retailers and general resources.
patrickivan
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

StarTrek.com TOS Enterprise Colours

Post by patrickivan »

Did anyone else catch this? I did a quick look and didn't see any posts. Granted, it is 0518H

https://www.startrek.com/article/reveali ... enterprise
Moongrim
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Re: StarTrek.com TOS Enterprise Colours

Post by Moongrim »

And where are these paint colors available commercially?
There are Times, Sir, when men of good Conscience cannot blindly follow orders. You acknowledge their sentience, but ignore their personal liberties and freedoms. Order a man to hand over his child to the state? Not while I"m captain.
- J.L.Picard.
patrickivan
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by patrickivan »

I'm no paint expert guy, but I assume that paint places can mix these up based on the provided colour values and information.

I bet for a heft little price.

But it's FOR THE ENTERPRISE, man!

I'm sure I'm not engaging in hyperbole when I say there is no worthier cause on the entire planet. ;)
MSgtUSAFRet
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by MSgtUSAFRet »

Why did they use THAT color scheme?

What is the LAB Schema?

" They are based on the nonproprietary L A B color space, which includes all perceptible colors. The LAB color space identifies colors through precise measures on three axes, in this case L (lightness), A (red-green), and B (yellow-blue)." says the article.

So, it's not like I can take these to the local home hobby store and hand it to the paint counter guy and ask "I would like a 15 gallon bucket of this for my 11 foot TOS Enterprise Model." :roll:

Is there a conversion matrix somewhere so we can do this?

Anyone?
patrickivan
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by patrickivan »

I don't mean to be flippant, but you CAN take these colour values to paint places. Every major city in North America will have art and automotive paint suppliers that can help you with this.

I provided my automotive parts supplier with colour values and got my paint made up. A big ole can of spray for under $10.

Of course your hobby store won't. That's not their business.

Smithsonian is giving people the information they need to replicate this. And I'm sure there are people here or somewhere, with enough marbles in their skull, who can provide approximate equivalent hobby paint brand colours based on the values given. It may not be 100% spot on, but heck, don't fret over it.
trekriffic
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by trekriffic »

patrickivan wrote:I provided my automotive parts supplier with colour values and got my paint made up. A big ole can of spray for under $10.
Was that lacquer in a spray can? I figure the answer is yes since that's usually what you get from an automotive store.
"You broke your little ships."

My albums on flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/29607470@N08/sets/
patrickivan
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by patrickivan »

You missed some of what I said.
you CAN take these colour values to paint places. Every major city in North America will have art --------------paint suppliers that can help you with this.
And yes, you can use automotive paint on models. I've used it VERY successfully.

To date, I've painted 2-3 Starships (1:2500, and a couple of larger scale ships), and a few model cars. Very clean and great depth to the colour.
patrickivan
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by patrickivan »

I'm not trying to be a jerk about it: just saying it's possible to get stuff made up for prices that won't break the bank.
trekriffic
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by trekriffic »

patrickivan wrote:I'm not trying to be a jerk about it: just saying it's possible to get stuff made up for prices that won't break the bank.
No offense taken at all Patrick. I've used automotive paint on my models too, although, it's mostly been automotive filler primer. And it can be very economical to buy paint this way. You can get a big spray can for what you'd pay for one of the tiny Tamiya spray cans. Now, when it comes to enamels, you may not need a whole quart of one color of paint so one has to decide if it's a color one plans to use a lot of.
"You broke your little ships."

My albums on flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/29607470@N08/sets/
MSgtUSAFRet
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by MSgtUSAFRet »

patrickivan wrote:I don't mean to be flippant, but you CAN take these colour values to paint places.
This is what I get for a kneejerk reaction - becoming a jerk - and for not reading the rest of the article. :oops:

My daughter pointed out that the Smithsonian did provide a keycode of sorts for each one of the colors. Further down in the article, they give a matching swatch from a particular paint manufacture, giving the color and an estimation of how close the given color will match.

Patrickvan, no fault of yours - it is all mine.

BREAK BREAK BREAK!

Is there a published guide for WHERE the colors go on the model? I have my TOS E 1/350 instructions, I guess I should look at them first before I get in trouble for opening my mouth again; with the appropriate foot insertion!

Thanks guys.

Steve

Return to “Links”