Quantum Mechanix USS Enterprise...no bloody A, B, C, or D

For everything Star Trek related, that isn't covered by the other forums.
TrekMD
Head of Starfleet Medical

Quantum Mechanix USS Enterprise...no bloody A, B, C, or D

Post by TrekMD »

Quantum Mechanix, the company that makes some really nice and sophisticated models has made a model of the Enterprise from the current movies. Well, they've decided to recreate the original USS Enterprise from TOS with great attention to detail. They displayed the model at the San Diego Comic Con this year and here is a video where they talk about the ship, how it was made, etc. I'm posting the video and I'm posting some images I grabbed from the video...

Medicus ad astra, non laedant...
TrekMD

Re: Quantum Mechanix USS Enterprise...no bloody A, B, C, or

Post by TrekMD »

The shuttle is to scale and that was done for that "wow" factor. :)
Medicus ad astra, non laedant...
Moongrim
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by Moongrim »

I likey very much.
There are Times, Sir, when men of good Conscience cannot blindly follow orders. You acknowledge their sentience, but ignore their personal liberties and freedoms. Order a man to hand over his child to the state? Not while I"m captain.
- J.L.Picard.
Lonewolf
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by Lonewolf »

It looks beautiful, but it's not something I'd purchase. Personally, I prefer my TOS Enterprise with non-glowing nacelles and un-Azteced.

I know a lot of folks liked the remastered versions, but it just doesn't look the way it did to me when I was a kid. I guess I'm stuck with the original 1960's vintage version, because that looks "right".

Make the nacelles glow all you want, and put Aztec all over it. Just don't call it the Enterprise.
Check out the Sci-Fi Model Kit Directory - A searchable resource with kit reviews and information on how to find the kit you're looking for! Visit http://www.sfmkd.com today!
OrokaSempai
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Post by OrokaSempai »

Well I like it. I see exactly the 'if they didnt have to cheep out on the filming model' angle.

I see people say 'its not what I seen on TV as a kid'. I remember white and not alot of detail. Not what the filming model looks like... but what it looked like on TV.

They have added detail without hurting the look and feel of the original. It now looks like something I could see having anything in common with the refit connie other than vague shape. Imagine they kept the old TOS design and increased the detail level for the movies... this is what you would have got. TOS with TMP detailing.
Greyryder
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by Greyryder »

I like the glowing warp grills. Not a fan of azteking on any ship, least of all the original 'Prise.

I see they put in the Trials and Tribblations skylight at the front of the saucer. With all the research I've heard these guys claim they did, you'd think they'd know that was caused by a missing plug on the original 11 foot filming model, when the production crew was doing their research for the DS9 filming model.
el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by el gato »

Nice, but I'd never buy anything from QMX. They're too expensive and their ability to deliver is sketchy
RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.
NCC1966
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Re: Quantum Mechanix USS Enterprise...no bloody A, B, C, or D

Post by NCC1966 »

It is too much for my taste. I'll always feel bugged whenever I look at an "enhanced" TOS prise. It simply doesn't look right. The good old beloved Enterprise is cool as she is. She doesn't need any extra bell or whistle. Just leave her alone.

:?
Thanks,

Yan.

Return to “General Trek”