AST HOST UPDATE (UPDATED: 27TH NOVEMBER, 2018)

Forum rules, site updates and general news.
Tesral
Administrator
Administrator

Re: AST HOST UPDATE (UPDATED: 16TH NOVEMBER, 2018)

Post by Tesral » Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:25 am

Speaking of updates.

THIS WAS A VERY SCARY DAY!

I broke my computer or rather Firefox went so far south it was north and my Linux versions was too old to fix it. I effectively am typing from a new computer. My files are fine, but the OS is is brand new and will take some effort to pound into shape.

Sans the root drive it is the same hardware. Cold Install of Suse Linux Leaf 15.

I have much configuration to do.
Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
"I saw it done on Voyager" is no excuse for anything, even breathing.

Xen
Bear with me
Bear with me

Post by Xen » Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:26 am

to answer a few posts. i'm sorry you are still having problems with being logged out. i have remained logged in for a few days now, but i have turned something ''off'' to see if that helps.

the more complex problem solving will have to wait until after thanksgiving. let's see if what i turned off today made any difference.

ast isn't going anywhere. even if i move on for financial or health reasons, tesral will probably take over. he loves ast and i know it would be in good hands.

i'm just being stubborn about fixing problems (one at a time). there is still an upgrade to do (i'm waiting on that).

content is not a problem for me, as long as people enjoy the site. the lack of enough content to make folks want to stay? that's up to them. we will always have more lurkers than content contributors

i'm not a fan of fb as such and don't like their group discussion or the big brother attitude. it very much feels like i'm playing in their sandpit, with their toys. i have experimented with one group for the product previews and one page for ast news. i am open to suggestions as to what it is you would like to see. one thing i had in mind was a fb and google login for ast here.

Xen
Bear with me
Bear with me

Post by Xen » Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:27 am

let me know who is still being logged off, along with any other problems.

Greyryder
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by Greyryder » Fri Nov 23, 2018 2:21 am

Well, I didn't get logged off, this time. Also didn't get that computer check page. I consider both of these good things.

Xen
Bear with me
Bear with me

Post by Xen » Fri Nov 23, 2018 2:31 am

the ''computer check page'' could be cloudflare cdn that i can enable to make the site faster.

the question is whether cloudflare activation, and getting bumped off regardless of your settings, are connected.

see if you get any 400, 500 or intermittent downtime over the next coming days.

patrickivan
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by patrickivan » Fri Nov 23, 2018 2:37 pm

MEATLOAFr wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:35 am
patrickivan wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:55 pm
I don't particularly want to see AST go, but does it generate enough traffic for it to be worth your investment in time and money? I haven't been around as long as some, but long enough to see the struggles you put up with here. And the content being posted seems to be somewhat lacking...

This is your baby and it'd be a shame to let it go, but at least FB is free and you still can continue running the show.
I don't want AST to go away either, SOOOOO much better than SSM (at least my posts here don't get deleted after a few hours) and I don't use any others

and content is on all of us... unfortunately I currently have no (safe from 2 year old) place to build, and all my models are in storage until we get our own place - only have computer and printers hooked up to make decals at the moment
I certainly am guilty. Same situation since moving. Haven't unpacked a bloody thing yet.

TrekMD
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Re: AST HOST UPDATE (UPDATED: 23RD NOVEMBER, 2018)

Post by TrekMD » Fri Nov 23, 2018 3:20 pm

I haven't had any problems with getting logged off anymore.
Medicus ad astra, non laedant...

Xen
Bear with me
Bear with me

Re: AST HOST UPDATE (UPDATED: 24TH NOVEMBER, 2018)

Post by Xen » Sat Nov 24, 2018 5:59 pm

okay. so, it sounds like it's one of the cdn's then.

i'll keep it off, but it was doing a decent job of keeping the resource levels down.

that means i will have to mess around and try some more clunky and extreme measures of fixing the 'guest' problem.

one measure will be to make the forum no longer able to be viewed as a guest. it is something i don't want to be but it seems the logical step to fix this.

another is to ban ip's left and right that seem to be causing the spikes, but that may cause problems for users.

Xen
Bear with me
Bear with me

Re: AST HOST UPDATE (UPDATED: 24TH NOVEMBER, 2018)

Post by Xen » Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:02 pm

i have made certain changes to the forum to see if it makes a difference to site hosting performance. excuse the appearance, it won't stay like this.

- the forum is disabled unless you log in.
- registration questions changed.
- group and group forum permissions changed for bots and guests.
- registration disabled.

the plan is to see if anything i have done helps, then bring back things here and there, and again, monitor performance.

the cdn was doing almost a good enough job, but since that seems to be the cause of the computer check and people being logged off all the time, i have left that offline.

Xen
Bear with me
Bear with me

Re: AST HOST UPDATE (UPDATED: 27TH NOVEMBER, 2018)

Post by Xen » Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:11 am

i put it all back to normal again as that didn't work.

i have one more thing to try before i may be forced to use cloudflare again. although people have been complaining about that because i think it causes the log out problems, i haven't had any myself since we seemed to have fixed it.

Return to “Important”