Do you want to part in a contest or not?

Forum rules, site updates and general news.
Xen
Bear with me
Bear with me

Do you want to part in a contest or not?

Post by Xen » Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:28 pm

i've had zero replies to me 2018 contest thread, so i'm going to send out a forum wide thread and pm as a last attempt.

seriously, i am somewhat bewildered that for the first time in ast's six year history no one seems to want to take part.

is there something bigger and better out there that is drawing the crowds?

we've got some pretty good prizes and we can do another ''anything goes'' contest to make it easier.

you can check out all the important information at the link below [more might be added later, so check the link frequently];

viewforum.php?f=113

thank you one and all!

slawton
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Re: Do you want to part in a contest or not?

Post by slawton » Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:11 pm

Well I think most everybody would be interested in watching a contest. Several would have an interest in participating (I fall in that category - but my track record of finishing is poor!). It seemed like a contest was in the works earlier in the year, but that seems to have fallen through - many of us may have been in this "wait and see" mode. You've made several suggestions - here's my take:

RPG contest and/or Design a Printed Ship: This would take a lot of coordination and given the general historical poor time management, I don't believe this would work well in a time-limited contest. It could be done as a general project with no defined time limit.
Minimal (limited tools, colors, etc.): I can see the appeal of fairly simple/limited projects and I suspect this would result in a larger percentage of completed builds, but it might deter some of the more advanced modelers who would like to "shoot for the moon" and create a masterpiece worthy of admiration.
Minimal kit-bash challenge: Similar to Minimal - but seems like most would want to add/assemble numerous "finds", not just 1, 2 or 3.
What if? / Special forces (variants, special colors) / Secret forces-special weapons / Parade (like "dress uniform") / Borgified: I'd group these as a "non-standard" category. I like the creativity aspect of these ideas.

Let's also take a look backward:
  • 2013 "To Boldy Go" anything goes (Trek) (8 completed, 4 incomplete, 4 withdrawn) ~1 mo.
    2014 "Newbies" anything goes (Trek) OOB (5 completed, 2 incomplete, 3 withdrawn) ~2 mo.
    2014 "Make It So" anything goes (Trek) (6 completed, 10 incomplete, 9 withdrawn) ~ 3-4 mo.
    2015 "Bragging Rights" (3 completed, 0 incomplete, 3 withdrawn). ~2-3 mo.
    2016 "50th Anniversary" (7 completed, 5 incomplete, 4 withdrawn) ~4-5 mo.
    2017 "Broken/Destroyed" (0 completed, 2 incomplete, 0 withdrawn) DOA ~ 6 mo.
I'll speculate on general trends. It seems like contest interest has been generally diminishing. This could be due to one or more issues - lack of prizes, lack of confidence in completing build, intimidation from more experienced builders, limiting categories, etc.

Ideally, we'd have a contest with lots of participation and a high completion rate.
  • More open ==> more participation
    Prizes/More prizes ==> more participation
    More level playing field ==> more participation
    Simpler builds ==> more completed
    Longer time ==> more completed
How can we level the playing field? Separate groupings? If so, how many (inexperienced/experienced, beginner/intermediate/advanced/master)? Competing against self (using previous builds as baseline)?

How do we get more finished and/or equalize simpler builds against more complex ones? Monthly awards based on what's finished at the time? Bonus points for finishing earlier? Extend contest duration? Advertise earlier so participants can get ready at the start?

These are just some of my thoughts - looking for others (from newbs to veterans) to chime in on what works for them/think will work for others.
Xen wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:28 pm
you can check out all the important information at the link below [more might be added later, so check the link frequently];

viewforum.php?f=113
BTW - this link does not work for me.
Last edited by slawton on Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm a modeler, not a doctor...

Introduction
Galleries: Member, Comparison, Fleet, Action, Manufacturer

Xen
Bear with me
Bear with me

Post by Xen » Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:23 pm

No Good modeler
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Post by No Good modeler » Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:00 am

I wouldn't mind taking part. I usually fall into the intimidated category. There are so many good modelers that belong to this group.

Xen
Bear with me
Bear with me

Post by Xen » Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:09 pm

i don't understand why people aren't commenting, but i can only assume that it's because of the slow traffic and participation at the site.

this is the first time it's been so quiet.

can you guys get to the 2018 contest section?

Tesral
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Tesral » Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:12 pm

Xen wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:09 pm
i don't understand why people aren't commenting, but i can only assume that it's because of the slow traffic and participation at the site.

this is the first time it's been so quiet.

can you guys get to the 2018 contest section?
Well I don't really contest.

Traffic has been on par with what I see at Starship Modeler.
Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
"I saw it done on Voyager" is no excuse for anything, even breathing.

slawton
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by slawton » Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:53 pm

Well I've tried to look into this trend. Looking backwards, over 2/3 of previous contestants have not been actively posting this calendar year and some of our most prolific posters have gone quiet, which has reduced traffic as of late. I also believe some are just waiting for the announcement to make their entry.

Also, your link is pointing back to this thread when I think you really mean here, right?
I'm a modeler, not a doctor...

Introduction
Galleries: Member, Comparison, Fleet, Action, Manufacturer

Xen
Bear with me
Bear with me

Post by Xen » Sat Aug 25, 2018 4:36 pm

Tesral wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:12 pm

Well I don't really contest.

Traffic has been on par with what I see at Starship Modeler.
that's good to know, but at the same time, not so much. ssm is more of a store as the main course, the a side order of a forum and fb group. whereas ast is solely a place to talk and show off kits.

the things that make you go ''hmm''.

Xen
Bear with me
Bear with me

Post by Xen » Sat Aug 25, 2018 5:24 pm

slawton wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:53 pm
Well I've tried to look into this trend. Looking backwards, over 2/3 of previous contestants have not been actively posting this calendar year and some of our most prolific posters have gone quiet, which has reduced traffic as of late. I also believe some are just waiting for the announcement to make their entry.
we have lost a lot of people. if they have moved to something bigger and better then fair enough. i'm curious about that.

however, one realisation that hit me was that we haven't really gained much new blood to balance it out. i need to find a way to make signing up and participating easier. ideas are always welcomed. :)

one idea i had [if possible] was to have a google and facebook login, so users browsing fb could post straight away.
slawton wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:53 pm
Also, your link is pointing back to this thread when I think you really mean here, right?
i wanted folks to have a direct link to the ''2018 AST Contest (Title TBC)'' forum and posted what i thought was the correct link further back in this thread.

it has a sign up page thread, poll for which prize etc, with zero replies. i think i initially messed up the permissions though and have hopefully fixed them now.

i just assumed it was working for others because my admin status lets me see whatever, regardless of the settings. silly me. :S

let me know; viewforum.php?f=113&sid=e9afdf3a10d05ff ... 8ea692dd79

i'll try and get a little more input, but maybe i should turn this into a simpler giveaway of sorts.

andyh
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by andyh » Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:17 pm

I've never been much into competition. I don't think I could finish a model with constrictions on how it was built for instance. Plus I'm often a very slow modeller (some of my kits have been on the bench for 10+ years.

Andy.

Return to “Important”