FAKE AST Page at Facebook

Forum rules, site updates and general news.
MEATLOAFr
Resolute Rear Admiral (UH)

Re: FAKE AST Page at Facebook

Post by MEATLOAFr » Tue May 22, 2018 4:37 am

Griffworks wrote:And that's it. Poke me with a fork 'cause I'm done.

You can Delete my account, which I'm quite surprised you didn't do before now. Tho it's likely because you didn't want your membership numbers to drop by even one person.

I now feel mostly nothing but revulsion for you and have a bad taste in my mouth where AST is concerned. If you Delete or Lock my account, please delete all of the threads that I started, too.

A very long rebuttal- but it needed to be said

After I finish the review of the defiant kit - I too, plan on taking a break from AST... and model building all together, for an undermined amount of time

I’m 41 yeas old, married with 2 children of my own (6 year-old, and a 1 year-old) I don’t have the tolerance for the childness behavior that is going on - it is unnecessary stress for a hobby that is supposed to lower my stress

At this point even continuing to share my building of models (even decal making is questionable) - at least in the short term decal making will be taken on a case by case basis, and only from direct emails to me from trusted fellow modelers

I have removed myself from the AST Facebook and wash my hands of that endeavor - I thank everyone for the trust you felt I deserved, but as I said before, unnecessary stress is not worth my time or patience

I may still lurk and watch, but I will not be posting any new builds/decals (and commenting on anything else will diminish greatly)

AST has been my go to model site for the entire time is has been around, a break will let me take time to collect my thoughts and maybe later on I may return... unless things don't get better
If the world ends tomorrow, it's ALL YOUR FAULT!!!

Custom Decals, and Vinyl Cutting services available
E-Mail direct to my [USERNAME] @ GMAIL account for Decals & Vinyl services

Tesral
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Tesral » Tue May 22, 2018 5:30 am

PLEASE PEOPLE. I just used up my whole supply of capital letters.

Meatloafr, and everyone else, Xen too. There is too much talking, not enough listening. I urge several actions. I also urge a great deal of thought.

One: NEVER assign to malice what can be explained by misunderstanding.
Two: Do not seek to offend, and do not be easily offended.
Three: Slow down, breathe deeply, and do not post hurtful things in anger.

We have something good here. Only we can destroy it. You are on the verge of that now and sadly it will negativity impact my life if that happens. Only we can save it. We need to stand back and communicate. In soft non-loaded words.

I do not have a facebook account so this whole thing blew up in my face from nowhere. I am shocked and deeply saddened.

Please, understanding and forgiveness. We don't need leaving, we need communications. That means listening, not anger.
Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
"I saw it done on Voyager" is no excuse for anything, even breathing.

slawton
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by slawton » Tue May 22, 2018 5:18 pm

Step away from the ledge...

Ok, what is happening here. Let me see if I can provide the cliff-notes version. Xen noticed a drop-off in browsing/posts since the web host move and contemplated throwing in the towel (in my opinion, an over-reaction). Looking for the source of the problem, he noted the "unsanctioned" Facebook page, which fed into his fear that it would make AST obsolete. AST, where he has put his $$, time, blood, sweat & tears was in jeopardy. After all his hard work, probably receiving mostly complaints instead of gratitude. Combine this with health, personal and/or financial problems, this would be doubly upsetting.

On the flip side, we have others who see Facebook as a means of advertising/growing AST, in so far as volunteering their own time and effort for the cause. Xen with little knowledge/experience on the subject, initially expressed curiosity, some concern and a general attitude of "less is more"/wade cautiously and later (indirectly through Roguewolf) nixed the idea. Meanwhile, progress was made on the Facebook site with the goal linking to AST, which is believed to be a good thing/beneficial. However, given Xen's predisposition, this was presumed a bad thing/detrimental to AST and spurned some ire on the subject. This prompted Griffworks to relive some old hurts and some tit-for-tat drama ensued.

Firstly, it is my personal belief that the web host change (with the site down a few days to a week) did more damage to the number of visits/posts than anything else. I believe it is more of a hiccup and "we will be back to our regularly scheduled program". I could well be wrong, maybe there are others more knowledgeable about the subject.

So, first off, I would like to verbally thank Xen for making this site available, the only site modeling forum I visit. I'd also like to thank Griffworks and others for making efforts to improve/grow the experience.

So where do we go from here? My opinions -- regarding Facebook, Xen should be given the test results/progress, access to the test site and kept in the loop with the Facebook site and have the authority to say go/no go on it going live. Xen would also need to be attentive in viewing the progress and provide timely feedback. Those working on behalf of Xen should be given more authority and trust (over time) that they will do the right thing. Given this, it is likely he could be convinced that it would be a useful tool in promoting the site.
I'm a modeler, not a doctor...

Introduction
Galleries: Member, Comparison, Fleet, Action, Manufacturer

RogueWolf

Post by RogueWolf » Tue May 22, 2018 10:58 pm

slawton, I think you have got the cliff-notes correct. I think that the Fb page was started with good intentions but it happened at the wrong timing. I'm hesitant to weigh in on the topic as I have been absent from the forums, and have only visited the FB page once or twice very quickly while on Fb for other reasons at the time. I'm not a big Fb user or fan and try to stay away from it as much as I can.

The question now is, how do we proceed. I say "we" but I should say "you" as I am not in a position to contribute much of anything till Sept. I'll be assigned to a base this summer (in a few short weeks) that has no internet connection/wifi for the are that I will be housed in (don't get me started on that). And I am currently busy running a course at the local unit to boot with next to no instructional staff. I'm taking time out from my 'homework' as this turn of events greatly distressed me.

As to what else I can say at this time? I'm not even sure what to say. I encourage some quiet reflection by all, to think hard about what you are going to post and to try to keep it civil. Try to see all sides of the story and then look for a way forward. Look for a solution to the issues at hand that will save face for all parties, we need to come together as the great community that we are and to repair what has come asunder.

Other than that, that's my 2 cents.

RW
Check out my NorthTrek Creations kits at:
http://www.mvmodels.biz/northtrek.asp
Valar Morghulis

trekmodelermichelle26
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by trekmodelermichelle26 » Wed May 23, 2018 12:51 am

i think a facebook group would be great i know i am a member of 2 or three star trek centric model groups on fb and a and one or two kitbashing groups and starshipmodelers fb group i know some of the trek modelers on the star trek fb groups never heard of ast at all either cause they spend more time on facebook model groups then on internet model group forums cause it is all one place i think it would help make this forum a little more visible and get more new members to both i dont think the starshipmodelers forum has been hurt by their fb group plus fb groups tend not work and are not set up the same way as a forum so the fb group would just allow people to post their models or other news or kit reviews and classified but not in catagories like they are on forums so the facebook group would get attention for this group and make it much more widely known and visible and get new members

Griffworks
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by Griffworks » Wed May 23, 2018 3:43 am

That's exactly what we were trying to avoid, Michelle. A Group allows ANYONE to post any content - content that won't point back here to AST. The idea was to make something that would direct traffic here. Which is what a Page on FB does - it's sort of a one-way valve, I guess is a decent analogy. Admin can post links to threads here, and people can respond in those threads. But if they want to post new content that is directed at AST, they have to "physically" come to this forum and either log in to their account or create one. THEN they can post content that others can interact with.

And you're wrong about SM. It was noted early on that posts dropped off there when the SM FB Group started. It didn't happen over night, or even really over the course of a week, tho it still dropped off over time. There are still plenty of folks who post there, but then SM has been around in some form or another since 1996 - back in the days of the old BB style forums. And wen SM was pretty much the only site of it's kind out there. Or at least, the only one that counted and still counts - and that's not a jab at AST. The SM forums just have been around longer and have a LOT of old-timers there who've been around since the beginning, as well as well over 12,000 members.
“And I looked, and behold a pale horse; and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.“

My Flickr Albums

trekmodelermichelle26
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by trekmodelermichelle26 » Wed May 23, 2018 12:54 pm

Griffworks wrote:That's exactly what we were trying to avoid, Michelle. A Group allows ANYONE to post any content - content that won't point back here to AST. The idea was to make something that would direct traffic here. Which is what a Page on FB does - it's sort of a one-way valve, I guess is a decent analogy. Admin can post links to threads here, and people can respond in those threads. But if they want to post new content that is directed at AST, they have to "physically" come to this forum and either log in to their account or create one. THEN they can post content that others can interact with.

And you're wrong about SM. It was noted early on that posts dropped off there when the SM FB Group started. It didn't happen over night, or even really over the course of a week, tho it still dropped off over time. There are still plenty of folks who post there, but then SM has been around in some form or another since 1996 - back in the days of the old BB style forums. And wen SM was pretty much the only site of it's kind out there. Or at least, the only one that counted and still counts - and that's not a jab at AST. The SM forums just have been around longer and have a LOT of old-timers there who've been around since the beginning, as well as well over 12,000 members.
but with very few people knowing of this forum and more people using facebook it would make this forum become visible plus with the fb group you can make it so people can post one or two pics of thier build as a sample for other to see on the fb page so they come here to see the rest

Frank Fowler
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Post by Frank Fowler » Wed May 23, 2018 5:08 pm

I think everyone should claim down and rethink what is happening. While I don't know any of you directly I still consider you all friends because we share a love of modeling Star Trek subjects. There really are not that many of us out there and very few sites like AST. I would hate to lose it and the wonderful members over these issues. None of us need added stress especially for a hobby, but sometimes we make that stress our selves by getting upset over small things that we let grow. The internet seems to help in that regard because we don't talk face to face, but just type away until things get worse. I hope all of you will reconsider if you are thinking of leaving AST and will continue posting your wonderful models and maybe I will finally get something finished to post.

Resin-Modeller
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by Resin-Modeller » Wed May 23, 2018 7:16 pm

Thought it was apt....

So let me get this right, someone created a Facebook/Social Media group called "All Scale Trek" to benefit the forum in an unofficial capacity (IE Xen not knowing about it) in an effort to drum visitors to the site. Everyone who knew didn't say which created the view of some sort of migration (This is first I know about this btw for the record as I've just come on to update some threads this evening and seen an inbox full of messages) I can sort of appreciate that as I've spent hours working on ships in the past only to find out someone else is ready to publish (Xindi ships were the last of my Enterprise line for 1400 until Lakespeed posted finished kits) I felt !!!!!!!! I'd spent time making the models in 3D and everyone by I seemed to know about them. - They are very good kits though and if you can get them I'd recommend them! So I get that point if the context is the same.

I'm a retail manager (for my sins) by trade and over the past few years have seen a strong migration to online, this is relatable in this scenario, as it lowers footfall so we have set up Social Media links and ties to drum followers, run events and encourage people to the store (as well as the online outlet).

I can therefore see the pros of using social media as links to the site can be posted and vise versa (If you paste a HTTP: link on facebook, it'll automatically generate links/thumbnails etc from the page linking) you can also have a 'Share' function on the posts here to link to people's Facebook accounts

For the record I'm not siding, I'm not even sure why I'm commenting to be honest as I don't want to restart/encourage a shitstorm. I guess the reason why is over the past what, eight years I've been doing modelling full on with community support/encouragement and pride a lot of you I've come to respect, have a laugh with and happy to call friend. The support people have provided by buying my kits and showing off the final works like ElGato DeepSpacePat and others is a testimate to that.

End of the day I don't want to see people say I'm leaving because of a bad situation, life too short. Trust me as past couple of years have made me realise how limited the mortal coil is, and !!!!!!!! like this, really? Your here because you enjoy modelling in some form either casual, pro or vocation and everyone has their group of friends within the community here.

Yes it's been quiet, but people aren't glued to the internet (well unless your playing Fortnite it seems (I'm not btw)) but people spectate and chat when they wish to contribute.

AST is tired, I don't mean that rudely by any means, It's had the same logo since day one, same colour scheme, loads of pinned posts that mean you have to scroll down loads before you see the newer posts. Why not spice it up a bit, change the colours unpin years old threads, give it a tidy up, hell I didn't even notice the competition area until this evening and based on entrants I can't be the only one...

Social media ties can't be a bad thing, maybe someone maybe not Xen as he has a lot on his plate, can run a Twitter feed and cherry pick posts with a link and hashtag like.... "Joeblogs has made an impressive build of the #USSVoyager as seen in #StarTrekVoyager by #Revell !! Click here to see more pics" and attach a couple to bring awareness/followers.

Same as Facebook, at the moment AST is word of mouth, if you know it's here great, if you don't you may never will unless you chat to someone who is a member here. Use it as a promotional tool rather than something to be fearful of.

Record, I'm not taking sides, just throwing my two cents as I don't want people falling out over big personalities/opinions or whatever you want to call it, I started reading messages, but have skipped to the end as it was getting very confused. If torches and pitch folks come my way, please ensure you have a packet of marsh mellows so we can all relax and roast them. I don't want to be pulled into this.

I come to think of this forum as a family, and it kinda feels like an all mighty family feud is happening. Lets let dust settle and continue to enjoy the medium that brought us all here in the first place.

Ad'
RESIN MODELLER

1/2500 and 1/1400 Scale Star Trek Modeller. New Models monthly.
Full listings can be found here and are dispatched across the globe!

ProfArturo
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Post by ProfArturo » Wed May 23, 2018 7:37 pm

Never mind the downtime, nothing is more off putting on a forum than a public flame war between the admin.

Hope you guys come to an understanding soon.

Return to “Important”