AST Financial Support - the way ahead

Forum rules, site updates and general news.
RogueWolf
Resolute Rear Admiral (UH)

AST Financial Support - the way ahead

Post by RogueWolf » Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:59 am

Hey guys, weeks ago we came out with a plea to the user population to help AST out with the bills and a ton of you guys answered the call.

But telling you guys that the bills are piling up and then asking you to donate to help keep the site afloat is a last resort - something that I would not wish to do again. Its a bit of a desperate move and it doesn't feel good to have to go to the users and put that kind of pressure on them. It just doesn't feel right.

So I'm taking it on myself (with Xen's blessings) to try to do something about it.

So here are a few ideas that I want you - the users of AST - to ponder and then get back to me with your thoughts and opinions.

1. We are looking to start a small AST Store with maybe T-shirts and Coffee Mugs to start off. What I'd like from some of you creative types is to send me some simple AST artwork that I can take to get printed onto said shirts and mugs.

2. I'm open to other options for fund raising for the site as well. I was thinking on something like a kit lottery. Say a Kit is donated by a vendor or generous user. We announce a 30 day lottery with the kit as the prize. People interested in the lotto would donate $2 to the site to have their name put into the "hat" for the draw. Their name can be put in multiple times for every 2 bucks donated. At the end of the 30 days a name is drawn from the hat and we have a winner!

3. Open for suggestions on other ways to generate funds for the sites bills.
Check out my NorthTrek Creations kits at:
http://www.mvmodels.biz/northtrek.asp
Valar Morghulis

RogueWolf

Re: AST Support - the way ahead

Post by RogueWolf » Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:46 pm

Sooo,

anyone interested in T-shirts, mugs or a lottery?
Valar Morghulis

mophius
Crafty Captain
Crafty Captain

Post by mophius » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:25 pm

How about pens too.
I would be interested in mugs and pens. I am always breaking mugs and pens, well!
There is no dark side of the moon really, matter of fact its all dark.

Imgur
Shapeways Shop

RogueWolf

Post by RogueWolf » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:30 pm

great idea!!!
Valar Morghulis

mophius
Crafty Captain
Crafty Captain

Post by mophius » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:37 pm

Artwork can be the trek delta with either AST or Allscaletrek.com next to or underneath.
Mugs could have the delta one side with the AGT Enterprise on the othed
There is no dark side of the moon really, matter of fact its all dark.

Imgur
Shapeways Shop

el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Re: AST Financial Support - the way ahead

Post by el gato » Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:44 am

Just a word of caution that use of the actual delta in items for sale may entangle us in ways we don't want to be entangled in. I realize that the goal here is not to create a profit (which would be a clear Paramount/CBS no-no) but to generate a sustainable stream of revenue for the site. Since we don't have a clear non-profit entity in charge of AST, I suggest we either come up with a brand new symbol for AST or fudge the logo a bit so it doesn't seem so copyright infringe-y.
RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.

MEATLOAFr

Post by MEATLOAFr » Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:10 am

el gato wrote:Just a word of caution that use of the actual delta in items for sale may entangle us in ways we don't want to be entangled in. I realize that the goal here is not to create a profit (which would be a clear Paramount/CBS no-no) but to generate a sustainable stream of revenue for the site. Since we don't have a clear non-profit entity in charge of AST, I suggest we either come up with a brand new symbol for AST or fudge the logo a bit so it doesn't seem so copyright infringe-y.
i'm working on that

If the world ends tomorrow, it's ALL YOUR FAULT!!!

Custom Decals, and Vinyl Cutting services available
E-Mail direct to my [USERNAME] @ GMAIL account for Decals & Vinyl services

el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by el gato » Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:53 am

RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.

Xen
Bear with me
Bear with me

Post by Xen » Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:40 pm

oh, i'm aware of the logo, agt-d and other things. tptb would only take me down if a licence holder moaned enough. at which point i would change it and spring back up somewhere else, with my 5 years worth of site still intact. something i could not do if it were a fb group, since they feel they own everything.

NoKhando
Lemme At Em Lieutenant
Lemme At Em Lieutenant

Post by NoKhando » Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:27 pm

T-shirts . I don't know if I speak for a large demographic of AST (but I suspect I do ..) , but my days of looking good in one are long gone . :cry:
Mugs would be nice , but a different one every year ? Porcelain's heavy which puts off your supporters who have to pay international postage .

More than pleased to support the forum where I can , but I'd be happy with a membership card/badge that gets me a discount from supporting suppliers , or some some exclusive decals only available to members . More model related stuff in any case .

Return to “Important”