Let's talk social media! (sm folk input wanted)

Forum rules, site updates and general news.
Xen
Bear with me
Bear with me

Let's talk social media! (sm folk input wanted)

Post by Xen » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:27 pm

Facebook
You Tube
Twitter
Instagram
Reddit
Pintrest
Blogs

That's about as far as I can go because I lose track of the who, what and why?

EDUCATE ME AND HELP ME DECIDE OUR SOCIAL MEDIA FUTURE BY SHARING YOUR OPINIONS ON WHAT WORKS FOR WHAT SITES.

All Scale Trek.com is looking to use some of these places for strategic purposes. By that I mean, to not regurgitate content because I don;t have the time for it. More to the point I don't see the need to do it that way.

But, as two examples;

StarShip Modeler, one of the Granddaddy's of the GK and Sci-Fi kit scene. Primarily a store, with a buzzing community forum... is on FB.

Resin Illuminati, where the elite stride and show their stuff... is on FB.

I don't know enough about Hobby Talk, Scale Model Addict, Fine Scale Modeler, but I think the last two have magazines, so that makes sense.

Firstly, I'm thinking if using FB to show off a few key parts of AST. If FB users want to talk about it, they can do so at the forums. Am I wrong to view AST and a FB fan page as two forums?

Second, will be Twitter. It's probably the most compact way to share interesting tidbits, alert users to downtime etc.

Last, would be You Tube. I like the idea of that style of -interaction-. If it's done the way I have it in my head. Namely, to have short and sweet, builds, interviews, how to's. Not overloading an audience. Nothing flashy. I would leave all that to the social media guru's.

Kremin
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Re: Let's talk social media! (sm folk input wanted)

Post by Kremin » Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:38 am

My 2p based on what I use I post on RI both forum and FB what I have found is that 1 of 2 things happen

1 Some post more on FB and less on the forum
2 others duplicate what they post in totallity so I stop reading the thread as I've already seen it on FB

Hobbytalk seems to be diying a slow death and is just the forum as far as I know

I don't use twitter so couldn't comment

If you want to see a good example of cross media being used effectively look at how NemVia posts pops on about once a month gives the headlines and a bit of tease with a link to the site, it doesn't clog the numerous forums it's posted on and there is the ability to interact but it pulls in traffic from far and wide

So imagine a facebook post that goes something like this

Science Project with my child of a baby in the womb
My daughter wanted to do a science project on reproduction (as she has been doing this recently) so her original thought of doing a baby made out of cake was too complex and costly so we made a model instead this is what we came up with
26231304_10215321100525283_2419069938944600963_n.jpg
If you want to see more of the finished item and how we built it click here<<<<insert link here>>>>

Extra geek points if you use "Would you like to know more?" at the end

Xen
Bear with me
Bear with me

Post by Xen » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:59 pm

well, we've already had one 'huh?' at ssm, so maybe we made a bad job of explaining what we wanted.

I have never heard of nemvia. a google search just says the nemvia.com site was hacked. so, i'm not sure what they do.

Griffworks
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by Griffworks » Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:59 am

I gave a response in the other, similar thread that was started a couple days ago, then appears to have abandoned. So, there’s where I gave my input.
“And I looked, and behold a pale horse; and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.“

My Flickr Albums

Kremin
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by Kremin » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:49 am

Xen wrote:
I have never heard of nemvia. a google search just says the nemvia.com site was hacked. so, i'm not sure what they do.
NemVia is building a 1/260 Drydock and DeBoers Enterprise (and has been for a while) the original nemvia.com site was hacked and abandoned and he switched over to nemvia.net he has posted on it today that he is shutting it down in May and inviting anyone to download the photos for their own personal use (I'll have to spend tomorrow downloading as much as I can) this an example of a post from RI

nemvia.jpg

The techniques used in this build is way beyond most of us but is massively inspirational. Engineering, scratchbuilding, moulding, casting and so on, you will be there for a while reading

Xen
Bear with me
Bear with me

Post by Xen » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:15 pm

@ griffworks; i tend to scan posts quickly and move on. did you reply to one of mine or from someone else? maybe i can backtrack. :)

@ kremin; i don't doubt the effort and craftsmanship that has gone into such projects. however, forgive me for sounding dense, but you mentioned nemvia's style of doing something as a reference for how i could do things with social media.

it went over my head somewhat. i got the 1 post a month, 'less is more' part, but the rest i did a 'wuh?' could you tell me the dumbed down version of what nemvia has got to do with my attempt at ganging with social media? many thanks! :)

RogueWolf
Resolute Rear Admiral (UH)
Resolute Rear Admiral (UH)

Post by RogueWolf » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:34 pm

Griffworks wrote:I gave a response in the other, similar thread that was started a couple days ago, then appears to have abandoned. So, there’s where I gave my input.
Xen,

Griffworks means this thread that I started;
http://www.allscaletrek.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4770

I asked the question and had some good responses but forgot about the thread altogether. let this be a lesson to you, don't make posts when you are distracted...
Check out my NorthTrek Creations kits at:
http://www.mvmodels.biz/northtrek.asp
Valar Morghulis

Xen
Bear with me
Bear with me

Post by Xen » Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:19 pm

okay. i found rw's socia media thread. i think i will -try- and merge this thread with that one.

Xen
Bear with me
Bear with me

Post by Xen » Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:34 pm

I'll just link this to RW's one instead. You can follow the rest of the conversation at the link below. Thanks!

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4770&p=62036#p62036

Kremin
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by Kremin » Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:54 pm

Reply posted on other thread

Return to “Important”