The future of AST is in your hands

Forum rules, site updates and general news.
Xen
Bear with me
Bear with me

The future of AST is in your hands

Post by Xen » Sat May 25, 2019 9:23 pm

hi folks,

as you're aware this is a free site that relies on donations to keep it going.

with the exception of one regular member, i haven't had any donations this year, which is a little surprising. to compound matters further, the cost of running ast will be going up quite a bit with hosting, in addition to the ongoing development costs.

so, if folks don't/can't donate, then that leaves me with a problem of how to keep things going without dipping into my own pocket all the time. i do not want ads on this site and would prefer another solution.

one idea i had was to produce a series of ships, with a limited run. designs that members could vote for, which would then be made and printed. all exclusive to ast.

what do you think? is there a better way to get some cash in to help out ast? i don't think selling t-shirts is going to cut it.

i would very much appreciate your input.

many thanks,
xen

Halgebra_A6N
Lemme At Em Lieutenant
Lemme At Em Lieutenant

Re: The future of AST is in your hands

Post by Halgebra_A6N » Sat May 25, 2019 9:56 pm

I like the idea of a limited ship run, but wouldn’t the upcharge have to take into account your materials as well as the site maintenance costs?

Also, where/how does one donate?

WarpNein
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by WarpNein » Sat May 25, 2019 10:07 pm

I had planned to do that with my Proteus model, but I've run into a number of difficulties printing certain pieces. I'm not sure I can even make it work, which is why I stopped updating the thread. If anyone with more 3d printing experience than me can help out I'd welcome it.

BTW, donating gets you cool colorful usernames.

Xen
Bear with me
Bear with me

Post by Xen » Sat May 25, 2019 11:44 pm

Halgebra_A6N wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 9:56 pm
I like the idea of a limited ship run, but wouldn’t the upcharge have to take into account your materials as well as the site maintenance costs?
realistically, i would need to either sell 30+ to get into the green for an average priced ship (around 500m size) or about 10-15 for an expensive ship (600-1200m size). it is uncharted territory and there is no way i can predict if it will do well other than to just try and see if it works.
Halgebra_A6N wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 9:56 pm
Also, where/how does one donate?
there is a yellow/orange donation button at the top of the main page.

TrekMD
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by TrekMD » Sun May 26, 2019 4:51 am

I like the idea of a limited ship run. That's be a cool and a nice way to contribute to the forum.
Medicus ad astra, non laedant...

Return to “Important”