Improving the look of AST

The place for forum help, reporting bugs and other issues relating to AST.
Xen
Bear with me
Bear with me

Re: Improving the look of AST

Post by Xen »

operating systems, os types, browser types, browser versions, stationary and mobile devices used, all contribute to problems. having universal compatibility is different, but i try.

the site had to be upgraded for security reasons. no changes have taken place as this is a vanilla 3.2 board, with the exception of the border. things like the buttons within a forum post are different, but again, that is what phpbb did to their own software, not changes i made.

bare in mind that i don't mind criticism, provided i can do something about it. saying things are worse now doesn't help. i need to know why. screenshots also help.
Tesral
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Tesral »

It took a bit of flogging but I found it. We have one board theme, prosilver. Could we add more themes for people to customize their look to something they like better?

One mention they prefer white on black to read. The stealth theme would give that. There are others as well.
Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
"I saw it done on Voyager" is no excuse for anything, even breathing.
Xen
Bear with me
Bear with me

Post by Xen »

we have prosilver [inactive] and prosilver se [active], with a forced mode set for the latter.

to answer your question, not really. the main reason being, all the code changes and graphic changes would have to be done again on other themes. that's why it's common to just have one modified theme.

i don't want to go through all that because there will be more bugs, more work that i don't have the head for, or can afford a dev to do.

at this point i've somewhat lost my mojo for anything more. provided the site has been fixed [and work in progress] and works on the most popular browsers and devices, i might just count my blessings and call it a day.

that said, i was, and still am, interested in hearing what people want, because you never know what might happen in the future.
TrekMD
Head of Starfleet Medical

Post by TrekMD »

Made these just for the fun of it...

Medicus ad astra, non laedant...
Xen
Bear with me
Bear with me

Post by Xen »

all of them look really good! if i knew how to do a rotating header i might try that. the one with the 2 ships looks the best imo.

i like banners that are ''busy'' with nebula's or a planet, splashes of nebula color, and the ast logo on the right.

i'm also trying to get away from the rounded font and do something AST with the arrow head as part of the background.
TrekMD

Post by TrekMD »

Which one with the two ships? The top or the bottom one? The bottom one is with a model from one of the forum members. :)
Griffworks
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by Griffworks »

The other two are from Bill “Admiral Buck” Krause, with the top pic also having a model by Dave “The Cat” Lewis. Both have scratchbuilt models in two scales, with the top bring 1/350 scale, the lower is 1/537. Top pic is Bill’s Sentinel, along with Dave’s Miranda. The second pic is Bill’s Shangri-La.

I’d like to suggest that you ask all the folks - the third image is from Trekerrific - if they mind the use of their images. I doubt they’ll say no, tho the courtesy of it goes a long way. :)
“And I looked, and behold a pale horse; and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.“

My Flickr Albums
TrekMD

Post by TrekMD »

Absolutely. That's why I said I made them for the fun of it. If we want to use them here, we need their permission.
Griffworks
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by Griffworks »

I get that. I wasn't meaning to make out that anyone has done anything wrong. Just that I know those fellas and doubt they'd say "no" if asked in advance. My apologies if it seemed as tho I was pointing fingers or casting stones. That wasn't my intent.
“And I looked, and behold a pale horse; and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.“

My Flickr Albums
TrekMD

Post by TrekMD »

No worries. :)

Return to “Help & Contact”