Improving the look of AST

The place for forum help, reporting bugs and other issues relating to AST.
Pantos
Erratic Ensign
Erratic Ensign

Re: Improving the look of AST

Post by Pantos »

A 'like' button.
Tesral
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Tesral »

Pantos wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:29 pm A 'like' button.
It has been discusses I don't think the forum software allows for it.

Knowing what the like button has done on facebook I do not think I would approve of it.
Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
"I saw it done on Voyager" is no excuse for anything, even breathing.
Griffworks
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by Griffworks »

Why is that?
“And I looked, and behold a pale horse; and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.“

My Flickr Albums
Tesral
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Tesral »

Griffworks wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:49 pmWhy is that?
It has been shown that the competition for followers and ":likes" has psychologically damaged people. Not everyone mind you, but damage has been done.

Every place you get such a system you get people that feel they MUST game it, even if "winning" means absolutely nothing.

Better I think to say that you like the model or the comment and add meaningful content.

The like button is a means of "socially interacting" without being social or interacting. I frankly think facebook made an error in making it.
Xen
Bear with me
Bear with me

Post by Xen »

TrekMD wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:45 pm Which one with the two ships? The top or the bottom one? The bottom one is with a model from one of the forum members. :)
i think it was the top ones. i really don't know a lot of people on here to ask, but would be happy to do so if i knew who did what.
Xen
Bear with me
Bear with me

Post by Xen »

i can create a like graphic and add it so you can add it like a smilie. however, it wouldn't do what fb does.

imo what fb should have done is include a few more emotions, but i don't understand fb well enough to have it make sense to me why people are liking like's.

i do understand the ''thanks'' style option used in certain forums and can understand why people feel better if they get 100 likes or thanks, vs bespoke replies.

there's just nothing within the phpbb vanilla forum that would allow ''like's'', ''thank's'', ''good on ya's'' etc to be added and no statistical data from phpbb that i know of for how well third party features operate.

i would have to speak with the dev about that.
Pantos
Erratic Ensign
Erratic Ensign

Post by Pantos »

Tesral wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:50 pm
It has been discusses I don't think the forum software allows for it.

Knowing what the like button has done on facebook I do not think I would approve of it.
Please do not compare this forum with facebook. Instead, compare it with other modeling forums that have a way for others to acknowledge other modelers efforts with a 'like' button or similar. Facebook 'likes' is focused on being liked as a person. Modelers like to know if their model is liked. There is a difference.
TrekMD
Head of Starfleet Medical
Head of Starfleet Medical

Post by TrekMD »

Xen wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:25 pm
TrekMD wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:45 pm Which one with the two ships? The top or the bottom one? The bottom one is with a model from one of the forum members. :)
i think it was the top ones. i really don't know a lot of people on here to ask, but would be happy to do so if i knew who did what.
Griffworks got the names right:
The other two are from Bill “Admiral Buck” Krause, with the top pic also having a model by Dave “The Cat” Lewis. Both have scratchbuilt models in two scales, with the top bring 1/350 scale, the lower is 1/537. Top pic is Bill’s Sentinel, along with Dave’s Miranda. The second pic is Bill’s Shangri-La.

I’d like to suggest that you ask all the folks - the third image is from Trekerrific - if they mind the use of their images. I doubt they’ll say no, tho the courtesy of it goes a long way. :)
Medicus ad astra, non laedant...
ProfArturo
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by ProfArturo »

If you can like someone's model pictures instead of commenting, there'll be a lot less posts.
Tesral
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Tesral »

ProfArturo wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:45 pm If you can like someone's model pictures instead of commenting, there'll be a lot less posts.
My point.

Return to “Help & Contact”