Improving the look of AST

The place for forum help, reporting bugs and other issues relating to AST.
Xen
Bear with me
Bear with me

Improving the look of AST

Post by Xen »

while i am collecting data and bugs etc are being investigated and fixed i was wondering what you might like to see to make ast look fresher.

there will only be one template to chose from, but background, border colors can be altered. buttons can be changed. even the header image, although in my opinion that has come to serve as 'the ast look'

please bare in mind though that with each new update codes changes have to be made, so i don't want to go buck wild with making ast look 'new'.
Tesral
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Improving the look of AST.

Post by Tesral »

I would not change a thing.
Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
"I saw it done on Voyager" is no excuse for anything, even breathing.
trekriffic
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by trekriffic »

I like it the way it is.
"You broke your little ships."

My albums on flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/29607470@N08/sets/
Griffworks
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by Griffworks »

6133681E-027F-44C7-B2AC-EDB2391DAF54.jpeg
6133681E-027F-44C7-B2AC-EDB2391DAF54.jpeg (40.24 KiB) Viewed 2240 times

In all seriousness, I’m fine with how things are now, too. I can’t think of any way to change up the layout of things that would necessarily change the visual aesthetic of the forum. However, I’m willing to give anything a try. The only thing that really bothers me about changing things up is even there’s constant change - especially just as I get use to the previous way things were. And even that is just an annoyance that can be lived with.
“And I looked, and behold a pale horse; and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.“

My Flickr Albums
Xen
Bear with me
Bear with me

Re: Improving the look of AST

Post by Xen »

there won't be constant change. if anything, because i can't afford to pay a dev or mess around with things myself all the time.

this is a change that needed to happen anyway, so i took advantage when the forum was broken.

i like metallic colors and was considering making the 'silver'/gray areas more metallic, doing something lighter with the blue hue and changing the default icons to things like a twitter icon, a small silhouette of an enterprise profile for 1/2500, medium and large for 1/1000 and 1/350. black when read, 'lit' when unread etc.

however, to be honest, if all the fixes are done and the work has been completed i might just be thankful for that.
TrekMD
Head of Starfleet Medical
Head of Starfleet Medical

Post by TrekMD »

I like your idea of the color changes with the more metallic tones.

I also have a suggestion. As cool as the current banner is, it would be cooler to have some nice picture of a model in a space backdrop. This is, after all, a modeling forum so having one of those gorgeous, lit models as the main banner would look awesome. Not sure how doable that would be.
Medicus ad astra, non laedant...
Tesral
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Tesral »

Regardless of color, keep in mind readability. Pretty is worthless if you can't read the content,

I know that phpBB has a number of themes available. We could make available several different themes and let people choose their own look. prosilvr works for me,
Greyryder
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by Greyryder »

One thing I like about this forum is that there is very little pure white. The older I get, the more sites with lots of white hurt my eyes. Even though the post backgrounds are still light colors, they're still dark enough to be easy on my eyes.

I'm a big fan of white text on dark backgrounds, but the colors here are already pretty good. 8-)
Tesral
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Tesral »

Greyryder wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:41 am I'm a big fan of white text on dark backgrounds, but the colors here are already pretty good. 8-)
And I am not, for the same reason. One reason I am suggesting several themes. There is a "Stealth" theme that is white on black. I would not like it.
andyh
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by andyh »

I liked the lay out better before. It's really hard to read on my phone now and something has happened to the pictures where half of them are missing from the page (you have to go all the way down to the bottom of the post to scroll the pic over so you can see all of it).

I don't know why all the constant changing here has to happen, I'm getting frustrated with it a bit. I liked the forum much better a year ago!

Addit. Ok, that's weird, when I went back to the specific post where the pictures were half missing, it isn't doing it now and the pictures are all smaller and fit on the screen. I can't explain why it is different from one viewing to the next????

Andy.

Return to “Help & Contact”