Blooper Real Fodder Here. Delete Please?

The place for forum help, reporting bugs and other issues relating to AST.
Xen
Bear with me
Bear with me

Re: re outage

Post by Xen »

i have also started doing the same, but that's because i have a crap internet service through my cell when goes on/off/on/off/on/off like a klaxon at times.

i want it fixed for ast though because i am responsible for providing a good experience at this site. just like the host are responsible for giving me a good connection and customer service etc.

i'm very sorry for the hassle it has caused you and anybody else.
Tesral
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Tesral »

I have stellar connections. Creaky old Firefox install on Linux. (I need to upgrade)

My connections are smooth and fast. But we have copper to the pole and fiber after that. Sadly the connection you have to AST is more likely to have nothing to do with AST itself.

Still we need to know in case it is AST.
Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
"I saw it done on Voyager" is no excuse for anything, even breathing.
Xen
Bear with me
Bear with me

Post by Xen »

i see it as a positive thing if i do everything in my power as a webmaster to ensure visitors get a hassle-free experience.

this new host has a few more tricks i can play around with tomake the load times faster.
slawton
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by slawton »

I'm thinking there are filters that my work automatically use to prevent access to specific kinds of sites (social media, adult, etc.). This may slow down my connection enough to cause the delayed connection/need for refresh.

Another issue - currently (as of today), the icon to edit my own posts does not show up, just the report and quote icons.
I'm a modeler, not a doctor...

Introduction
Galleries: Member, Comparison, Fleet, Action, Manufacturer
Griffworks
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by Griffworks »

That last is very likely because “Xen” has removed that ability to keep people from deleting their own posts. Presumably, this is so that he doesn’t lose any content for AST.

Effectively, he’s holding our own creativity hostage.

So, since he’s now gone into full Dictator Mode, if you’re writing a post, you better get it right the first time! There’s no going back to fix any typos or incorrect links.

Of course, that means that people like novahobbies who’s just recently been fixing old posts by deleting broken Photibucket links and placing inline images can’t do that.

Welcome to the Empire of Alex! All your freedoms are gone and your content now belongs wholly to the paranoid, oppressive mind of Alex!
“And I looked, and behold a pale horse; and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.“

My Flickr Albums
slawton
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by slawton »

You spelled Photobucket wrong (my smart-alecky self could not resist)!

You may be right, it may be an intentional thing. I just used this thread to report an anomaly I was seeing.

Griff, you seem upset and are expressing a need to vent, presumably about the Facebook topic. There are healthier, more positive ways to do it. I will post my 2 cents on the subject in the other thread.
I'm a modeler, not a doctor...

Introduction
Galleries: Member, Comparison, Fleet, Action, Manufacturer
trekriffic
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by trekriffic »

Griffworks wrote:That last is very likely because “Xen” has removed that ability to keep people from deleting their own posts. Presumably, this is so that he doesn’t lose any content for AST.

Effectively, he’s holding our own creativity hostage.

So, since he’s now gone into full Dictator Mode, if you’re writing a post, you better get it right the first time! There’s no going back to fix any typos or incorrect links.

Of course, that means that people like novahobbies who’s just recently been fixing old posts by deleting broken Photibucket links and placing inline images can’t do that.

Welcome to the Empire of Alex! All your freedoms are gone and your content now belongs wholly to the paranoid, oppressive mind of Alex!
Wow. Sounds a bit harsh Griff.
"You broke your little ships."

My albums on flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/29607470@N08/sets/
Griffworks
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by Griffworks »

If any of us wanted to remove our own content, for whatever the reason, we should be able to. Shouldn’t we, since it’s our IP? Now we can’t, if we were of a mind to do so. Alex did that. And he also removed all of his Admin, including Kratok, after first demoting them to Global Moderator. And with no warning nor an explanation, last I heard.

His forum, his rules, absolutely and for sure. But let’s call a turd what it is, shall we?

Sometimes the truth, like gravity, is a harsh mistress.

And yes, I’m an A-hole. I’m just calling it what it is.
“And I looked, and behold a pale horse; and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.“

My Flickr Albums
Kremin
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by Kremin »

slawton wrote: Another issue - currently (as of today), the icon to edit my own posts does not show up, just the report and quote icons.
This needs addressing ASAP or people will just stop posting all together
Griffworks
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by Griffworks »

Excellent point. Tho I predict it won't happen - it would allow people the opportunity to go back and delete content in the threads that THEY created. That's something I'm 99.9% sure is exactly why Alex locked that capability out in the first place. That's the only thing that makes sense, as last night before I went to bed, I saw that option in one of my posts that I was looking at. Then after slawton mentioned it above, I took note, as well.

It's no accident. I've run forums on phpBB software, as well as a few other types, and in order to lock out certain standard user capabilities, you have to go in and VERY DELIBERATELY make those changes. It's not like "Whoops! I was trying to post something and accidentally hung up my iPhone!"

See, I wasn't even insulting or denigrating or anything! Just factual. :D

My Flickr Albums

Return to “Help & Contact”