What would make you participate (more?) at AST?

The place for forum help, reporting bugs and other issues relating to AST.

Nothing. I just like to read threads and check out pics when I find something interesting. I'm not much for talking, but it's a great site!
20%
AST is okay. It feels quite intimidating, so I prefer just to look around. I'm honestly not sure what you can do.
1%
It's just too specialized. I think this is as good as you're going to get!
No votes
I consider myself a newbie and don't want to embarrass myself or feel pressured. A private newbie section might help.
6%
If you had a voice chat option (like Teamspeak), that would help!
1%
I'm a regular and post when I see something I like. It's just the nature of the beast. AST is cool!
27%
Talking to folks in real time (like some kind of group messenger) would help!
4%
I post a lot and think this is a great place. There are lurkers everywhere. There's nothing you can do about it.
6%
AST needs a makeover and then you'll get more participation.
1%
Remove member restrictions! If you get spam, deal with it then. That should help!
1%
More contests and prizes. That will get folks talking!
5%
You need to have a proper website and not just a forum, with a magazine style format (blog, gallery etc).
3%
I'm not sure, but I think the answer is 42! :P
17%
Other (please specify if possible).
7%

Total votes: 142

Xen
Bear with me
Bear with me

Post by Xen »

As stated in the forum PM, I'm trying to encourage as many of our members as possible to speak up about how we can improve member participation.

In particular, I'm very eager to hear what our (very large) group of "window shoppers"/readers/friendly lurkers have to say. I would be most grateful if those that fall into that category could select options within the poll that you feel would both improve AST as a whole and perhaps get more folks talking. ;)

I cannot stress enough how important this is to me. Making All Scale Trek a really friendly, welcoming Trek haven for all types (outspoken and otherwise) was always my primary goal. If there is anything I can do to make your experience better, I would love to know.

The poll is open to everyone though, so feel free to have your say, regardless of what category you think you belong to. :)

You can vote for up to 8 choices.

Addendum: I've included further thoughts in my reply on page 2. Click on this link to go directly to that post.

I have also enabled re-voting, so you can change your vote(s) if you want to. Please vote sensibly though, as this is important.
Greyryder
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Re: What would make you participate (more?) at AST?

Post by Greyryder »

It's not you, it's me. ;)

I drift through hobbies. I'd be more vocal, if I was more active in Trek modelling right now. I still love seeing everyone's projects.
martok2112
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by martok2112 »

I frakkin' love this place. :)

I love that there are so many talented modelers here who share their love for the practical modeling world, especially in the realm of science fiction, and in Star Trek in particular.

And I am very grateful that you all have let me share my CG works here, even though this is largely a forum meant for practical modeling.

I ain't goin' no place, and I will participate as much as I can. Lots of great stuff to look at here, and it seems to be a very nice community.

(Besides, how many Trek forums can say they have a Bourbon Street rock star in their midst? Ha ha haha.. :D )

Keep up the great work, Xen.
Remember, you can't have gagh without "gag"! :D
Julien
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by Julien »

I agree this is a great forum !

I post every now and then on other people threads, but I haven't started one or updated mine in a while because I'm not currently working on star trek kits...I'm focusing on small ships from the anime "Space Battleship Yamato 2199".

I don't think you should diversify this board, it's about Star Trek, and that's the identity of All Scale Trek.

But, having just one forum "Any other scifi" for models that are not Star Trek, would allow members to share their work when they're not working on Star Trek, without making AST too diversify as 95% of it will still be about Star Trek...

As for the "makeover", PHPBB is the best software for boards like this one, and this board is simply the most beautiful, the easiest and the more powerful board I've been a member of... So I wouldn't change a thing in that regard.

If you want more members, you need to advertise outside this website, maybe create a community on Google + or something.
A contest might do the trick too, if people share it to other modeling communities by saying that it is for a contest on All Scale Trek...
The trick is to find the right timing, as they're is a lot of contest during the spring.

And finally, the level of modeling here is pretty high, we have experienced and talented members... The downside is that people new to the hobby might be feeling intimidated by that... But, I'm not sure what you can do about that...
The Belgian Builder
khitomer
Candid Cadet
Candid Cadet

Post by khitomer »

This is a great forum. Perhaps take a look at scifimodelaction forum to see their approach? Also set up a Google + community which allows hangouts. This was one of the main reasons I got back into modelling. A way of discussing ideas, methods, techniques with other modellers whilst you work! Search YouTube for videos of the SFMA hangouts and you'll see what I mean. Happy New Year.
jkb-1
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by jkb-1 »

Yamato is something I've always wanted to get into. Alas, back when I could have spent every day of the week watching it in syndication, my local station was showing Voltron! I do get the feeling the show doesn't treat the other ships in the fleets in any detail, like the wargame does.

There is the "Off Topic" thread, but if you wanted to, Xen, you could make a specific topic: "Models from Another Mother" for them.
cozmo
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Post by cozmo »

Cannot think of any way to improve it. I like it just the way it is...except (there is always an except, right):

Y'all really need to get with the program and accept the fact that 1/2500 scale is the scale and will always be the scale. Resistance is futile.
Gorn
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Post by Gorn »

Being interested 90% in FASA models from the 80's, I mostly post with pix when I've held a game.

There simply isn't that much action for that niche....
Total expansion = total gravitation; the Universe comes from nothing.
cozmo
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Post by cozmo »

Hey! How did you put this poll in?

I need a poll.

Maybe that is a change I would like to see. Let the little people make a poll.
Bellerophon
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by Bellerophon »

Adding a separate non-forum part with news and reviews of interest to Trek modelers. We would contribute the articles. Maybe galleries and build articles too, whatever folks want to contribute that would be of interest. It probably wouldn't get more participation out of people who don't post (I bet all the articles would be from those of us who already post), but it would certainly increase traffic.

The Google hangouts thing isn't a bad idea, but I tend to avoid spending much time on them for a variety of reasons, including they cut into modeling time.

That Julien mentioned advertising made me think of something totally unrelated: it wouldn't bother me if these grey bars down the sides had advertising. Then AST could pay for itself somewhat. Quite a few members here would probably like to have ads in the sidebars.
But isn't it all Klingon opera?

My modeling blog: http://bellerophon-modeler.blogspot.com/ (mostly build logs)
My other modeling blog: http://bellerophon.blog.com/ (photo galleries and links)

Return to “Help & Contact”