Battlestar Discovery: Season 2

For everything Star Trek related, that isn't covered by the other forums.
patrickivan
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Battlestar Discovery: Season 2

Post by patrickivan » Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:51 pm

Star Trek Discovery is not Star Trek. This is not an opinion, it is a fact.

It is ONLY Star Trek in name and nothing more.

Having just watched the last 2 episodes yesterday, it is clear that the producers have no clue what Star Trek is. Now we've had this in the past as well, but not to this extent. 28 or so episodes of crying and wide eyed surprise and more ridiculous, order after order after order disobeyed to the point of making Kirk look like a choirboy.

There is NOTHING in this that resembles Star Trek. I'm not talking about upgrading visuals, or the silly 50's throwback uniforms, or even the JJ style of light in your face cinematography.

I just mean, that it's literally like watching Battlestar Galactica. The long winded nothing and pointless to the story dialogue. The bouncy zoom in zoom out fast mess of ship scenes with blasters going off everywhere like a WWII pacific fleet battle of America V Japan looking like nothing buy chaos.

The !!!!!!!! crying. So much !!!!!!!! crying! Every episode someone cries, looks bewildered, makes some LOOOOOONG winded speech, talks out of turn to superior officers, says incredibly inappropriate things, and just plain disobeys a direct order.

Where is the Star Trek? Will it finally be in the 32nd century?

I'm !!!!!!!! because I was so excited when STD was announced. I looked forward to it so much. And stuck to it HOPING so much that it'd get better. Even with Pike and a horribly emotional way to fast talking Spock, it just couldn't save it.

Number One was made to say such stupid things and bordered on insubordinate in tone herself during the inquiry, that it just belittled who she could have been.

Seriously, other than Pike and Saru, everyone is an !!!!!!!! who just has some jack ass snarky thing to say to another crew.

But they love each other ever so much.

!!!!!!!! Star Trek Discovery.

ziggystardirt
Erratic Ensign
Erratic Ensign

Re: Battlestar Discovery: Season 2

Post by ziggystardirt » Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:55 pm

Agreed, except I think all of the characters are useless. Lots of flashy special effects looking for a story though even the visuals are boring after a few seconds of whiz-bang. Actors on this show should return to the soap operas they came from and the writers and directors should go back to their day jobs. Hopefully STD stays wherever the heck it went through the wormhole and never comes back.

Oh, wait... I read that the show was renewed for a 3rd season. Aaarrrgh!

patrickivan
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by patrickivan » Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:00 pm

ziggystardirt wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:55 pm
Agreed, except I think all of the characters are useless. Lots of flashy special effects looking for a story though even the visuals are boring after a few seconds of whiz-bang. Actors on this show should return to the soap operas they came from and the writers and directors should go back to their day jobs. Hopefully STD stays wherever the heck it went through the wormhole and never comes back.

Oh, wait... I read that the show was renewed for a 3rd season. Aaarrrgh!
The funny thing is, having thought about what makes this series so horrible, is that in retrospect, this entire season was a plot device to get them to the 33rd century and nothing more. I really think that the producers realized what a cluster !!!!!!!! putting this series into such a controversial time period turned out to be. Notably because they had no concept of what Star Trek is, or was, or COULD be. So they came up with this nonsense time travel story season to get them to a place where everything is wide open and they can tell whatever story they want.

The PROBLEM is that they just don't seem to get what Star Trek is. What the essence of it is, so putting them in the 33rd century only gets them out of the continuity nonsense, but I strongly have my doubts that they can make this series feel like Star Trek.

The horribly characters they created doesn't help matters. Nor does the horribly writing, story telling, and overall concept.

I'm going to remake Three's Company, but it will be a drama instead. And even though I know that the only similarities between the comedy is: it has 3 people living together, it's in an apartment, and it's called Three's Company, the only reason I'm going to call it Three's Company, is to bring in those extra fan viewers.

I'm going to remake MASH. But instead of being a dramatic comedy that takes place during the Korean War, it'll will be a Romance about a group of soldiers who signed up to serve during the Afghan conflict. This romance will be about how these American soldiers fall in love with Afghan locals. There won't be ANY bloody, or comedy, or commentary about the horrors of war, but we're still going to call it MASH, and give people all the names of the original MASH series, so that we can sucker in some fan viewers.

ProfArturo
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Post by ProfArturo » Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:58 pm

I dont really like the idea of them going so far foward because, assuming they do show what became of the Federation etc, then it means any show ever then set between the 24th and 33rd centuries (including the Picard series) will now have to stick to Discovery's new canon.

I'd say maybe they'll avoid all that by sticking to the Beta quadrant, but they do still have the spore drive.

Return to “General Trek”