Odyssey Slipways

For everything Star Trek related, that isn't covered by the other forums.
OdysseySlipways
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Odyssey Slipways

Post by OdysseySlipways » Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:13 pm

i just contacted Scott from SRS to return the last 3 masters he has there as they won't be getting finished or worked on

if i get the galor back soon enough i will try molding it as there's nothing else to mold and want to use the rubber while it;s still usable or this will be the 3rd tub of rubber to go bad from just sitting here. i don't expect to be buying rubber in the gallon size tubs anymore either as there isn't anything needing to me molded as it's just not selling

you can pretty much put a fork in OS as i do think it's pretty much done

as of any of the new projects that i was either looking to do or had started for will also be scrapped

i think what pisses me off the most is people saying they will help me out and do things for me (some in trade, some to get paid) and then a few months later saying the never started on it or they need to get back to it or in some cases just fell off the face of the planet - either way, they also help kill things off. and some of them are people i have know, sold to, dealt with for years.

and for those saying "oh, your always talking of closing up" ya, because i have been thinking and saying it for a while now because there's nothing else to say. there's no new projects being finished, there's no talks for future projects because they all seem to have dropped off, there's a lot of nothing is what there is.

i have been thinking for a while as to what to do with what i have here.

it seems that 3D printing has killed off this part of the hobby business. no i don't know how to 3D, no i don't have system that i can use to try to learn it (not like i think i could anyway)

there's just nothing i see at this time other than winning a million dollar lottery ticket that could change things here.

so get out of here and move along, i'm afraid there's nothing left here to see

Xen
Bear with me
Bear with me

Re: Odyssey Slipways

Post by Xen » Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:09 pm

well, i'm sorry things turned out the way they have os. when it rains, it pours, and things can seem a lot darker than they actually are, especially if you feel you have been slighted by people.

perhaps a break from the gk side of things will refresh your mind and body and help you to rediscover what was once a good thing. alternatively, give you clarity on the best course of action on what to do next.

i could be wrong, but trek seems to be in a slump now. i always thought you had star wars to fall back to, but maybe i was wrong.

i would recommend a time out, sell off some products to get some much needed cash [which might help cheer you up a bit] and return with a fresh perspective.

it's never a good day when a gk'er packs up. the community is so small, we really can't afford that.

either way, good luck with your future endeavours and feel free to stop by and say hi and vent whenever you want. :vulcan:

OdysseySlipways
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by OdysseySlipways » Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:32 pm

it's not so much that i feel slighted by some people (but it hasn't helped none either)

as to the mind and body, they are both broke in their own ways

i was trying to get some stuff done in star wars but that hasn't panned out either

there hasn't been any selling of products - the slump as you call it

Xen
Bear with me
Bear with me

Post by Xen » Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:47 pm

i'm curious why you chose etsy instead of ebay for selling. i've only recently heard of etsy.

i think much like being a webmaster, being a gk'er can be a thankless ''trial'' of patience and persistence.

i know it's easy for me to say and be the armchair general, but if you have a tub of rubber, why not crank out the ships that seemed to do well in the past? i would even consider selling the keldon / galor as is and just see who bites.

patrickivan
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by patrickivan » Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:48 pm

Do you think model building is waning? Seems that people under 40 just aren't in to it. I don't like to date myself (I prefer to date women- :lol:), but I think that when I grew up, model building was the only way to really get to be part of what you were into. To hold build and hold something you saw on the TV or the big screen.

But now, with EVERYTHING accessible on the internet, VR, and gaming, it's kind of given people an instant gratification for what they want, with no responsibility of ownership.

Anyway, I don't know.

I kind of feel that way about shows as well. Discovery is more of a whim. Let's change things because we can, without thought put into it. And if it fails, meh, we'll make something else at some point.

Star Wars is the exact opposite. Let's just saturate everyone until the mystery and lore is lost. We can just throw out stuff and the good will stick to the wall.

Everyone has ADD.
"I drink to make people interesting"

George Nathan

OdysseySlipways
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by OdysseySlipways » Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:56 pm

Xen, i have thought about that but only 2 people seems to have any interest in it but odds are i may mold it just to use the rubber for something rather than it sitting and going bad

as to Etsy i had heard about them before and thought i'd give them a shot as i thought that could open things up to a new audience (and it just so happened to be CBS that took the most interest in my kits and told me so).

i haven't been on Evilbay for some time now but it is a possibility

as to molding and casting something that's been selling - that would be nothing

Patrick, your right, everything seems to be out there

Return to “General Trek”