3D printing limitations

For everything Star Trek related, that isn't covered by the other forums.
Kratok
Perhaps today IS a good day to model
Perhaps today IS a good day to model

3D printing limitations

Post by Kratok »

Not sure if it makes more sense to put this here, or in Construction. We'll see what kind of feedback I get here to start, I guess.

I'm looking for someone with a lot of experience printing through Shapeways.

I've been doing some custom bases that have raised text or symbols on them. Some of that comes to a fine point that is making WSF choke. Going to FUD is prohibitively expensive. Print It Anyway is an option, but the turnaround is so slow and it is awfully hit or miss to keep trying/hoping it will come back right.

WSF wants walls at least 0.7mm thick. That doesn't sound that hard. So Ive been trying to round off the sharp edges, figuring that would get me there. But I am having to move the rounding so far back from the original point that the shape of the detailed part is essentially lost.

Bottom line to those of you with more experience. Have you had any luck pushing the envelope with thinner walls'? Does Shapeways have a built in margin of error with that 0.7mm figure, or can I maybe push that a bit with some hope of success?

Thanks in advance for any replies.
Alternate Paradigms
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Re: 3D printing limitations

Post by Alternate Paradigms »

I only print in FUD, but to be sure that something would print in SWF I would make it at least 1mm thick. Does the detail you're looking to print need to be thinner than that?

Return to “General Trek”