Becasue it is slow today.

For everything Star Trek related, that isn't covered by the other forums.
Tesral
Administrator
Administrator

Becasue it is slow today.

Post by Tesral »

So, what is a newbie. Is there a number a models you must built before you shed your newbieness?

Do any of us ever total shed same as their is always a new method, a new process we can learn.

We all have strengths and weaknesses. I'm a good builder, a so so painter and I've never done lighting.

Are you not a newbie when you say you are not a newbie? It is not like we have a secret modeling star chamber that hands out degrees like the Freemasons or anything. (If we do I'm !!!!!!!! no one has called me. (The guys handing out the real spells for playing D&D are on my list too.))

Waste verbiage, the day is slow.
Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
"I saw it done on Voyager" is no excuse for anything, even breathing.
mophius
Crafty Captain
Crafty Captain

Re: Becasue it is slow today.

Post by mophius »

Compared to some of you guys here I will always consider myself a newb. I am nearing the 20 mark but still make silly mistakes.

I would like to know if there is a chart that governs weather you are a newbie, novice, pro or anything in between. I would place myself near the bottom.
Ok builder - no kitbashing yet
Ok painter - I still don't mask anything
Lighting - only just started my first lit model
Only thing I am ok at is decals but that is cheating really. Well, it could be called cheating in any other scale.
There is no dark side of the moon really, matter of fact its all dark.
RogueWolf
Velutinous Vice Admiral
Velutinous Vice Admiral

Post by RogueWolf »

I like to think I'm a good builder, but I know I can still learn more. I know I enjoy kitbashing and scratchbuilding, but I'd only go so far to say I'm pretty good at it, no way am I an expert. I'm so-so with painting and decaling, but I have never lit a model (not even in fire!)

So where do I fit in? I just call it skilled or experienced terms that are vague enough to give the impression that I know what I'm at - even though half the time I don't.

All in all I'd say I'm a Happy Modeler.
Check out my NorthTrek Creations kits at:
http://www.mvmodels.biz/northtrek.asp
Valar Morghulis
Tesral
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Tesral »

There is always something new to learn even for those that have been doing it professionally for decades.

I'll stop learning five minutes after they bury me. If you have stopped learning you are over due for burial.

I don't consider I am a newbie anymore simply from long practice. I teach as often as I learn. I have been building models for 54 years.
el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by el gato »

I see being a newbie as someone who doesn't know what they don't know.

More-experienced-than-a-newbie modelers know the limits of their abilities. So I think I'm a decent builder, painter and decaler, definitely with room to grow on all of them. I'm so-so at kitbashing. I'm afraid of the airbrush and I can't light models (I want to learn both though and eventually master them). I'm also impatient with wanting to finish a kit where there are multiple instances when I call something "done" knowing full well I could do better. Anyone who realizes the limit of their skills but are willing to learn more graduates from being a newbie to something else.

I would reserve the term "master modeler" to people who just take a hunk of plastic and make something out of it that is simply art. People who are equally adept at replicating something or at making something new without breaking a sweat. There are examples here at AST like RogueWolf, Trekriffic and Steam, among others. Outside of AST would be people like Jason Eaton, Mike Salzo, John Payne and Gary Kerr, not to mention the "elders" like Colin Cantwell, Andy Probert, Rick Sternbach, Phil Tippett and Doug Drexel.
Last edited by el gato on Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.
TonyG2
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Post by TonyG2 »

Always something new to learn and always room to improve. Painting is still my weak link, whether brush or airbrush. When it comes to real world subjects, aircraft warships etc, I have no problems but Star Trek ships give me no end of grief. Thank god for extensive decal sets....

However, I do my best not to get too stressed out over it. This is after all a hobby and is supposed to be relaxing. When I realise my blood pressure is going up over a modelling project I know its time to down tools and walk away from the bench for a while (probably why I get so few models completed these days).
trekriffic
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by trekriffic »

One thing about spaceship modeling is giving the subject a sense of scale, especially hard to do if the model is in one of the smaller scales and you are trying to make it look as big as an aircraft carrier. Then there is the whole discussion about whether the model should look like the studio model or more like what we saw on screen. And don't even start a conversation about weathering in space. Ughhh...
At least when you are building a model of an aircraft carrier your audience is already predisposed to think of it as representing something huge which you don't have with someone who viewing a spaceship; at least one they are not acquainted with.

As far as being a newbie or a "master" modeller, I think a lot of it comes down to practice; even then, some modellers are better at one type of subject than another. Few modellers are equally as good at all genres. The expert figure modeller may throw up his hands at building a starship for example. Those who can build anything may they then rightfully be called master modellers?

Great scratch builders are at the top of the modelling universe for me, whether they master more one genre or not.
For scratch building, it helps to be able to think and craft in three dimensions; although, with 3D printing this is becoming less of a necessity but I still think it is important.

Sometimes a modeller may never have had the ability to do certain things as well as another. For example, If you don't have good hand eye coordination, you will have a hard time working on small details. If you can't think logically you will have greater trouble following the step-by-step process of completing a model.

Eventually, it comes down to the physical with the inevitable deterioration caused by too many years bent over a workbench. One by one we succumb to the toll of our infirmities.
I can't count the number of times I've heard of modeller having to give up the hobby due to illness or age. Very sad. That's why I take so many photos of my own models; so when I'm an old geezer sitting in my wheelchair, I can still point to a photo online and say, "See! Back in my day I used to be a pretty good model builder."
"You broke your little ships."

My albums on flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/29607470@N08/sets/
Tesral
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Tesral »

My personal definition of "Geezer¨ keeps getting shoved back further into the future.
slawton
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by slawton »

I see it more as a continuum/phase/progression, similar to what I see in martial arts.

I would define a noob as someone with no knowledge or experience. This is a very early phase, probably experienced by most as a child for a couple/few models. Work is poorly assembled, painted badly or not at all, etc. A noob simply does not know better.

A beginner is starting to see some of these flaws and strives to do better, but still makes many mistakes. The work is getting better, but he/she is still learning.

More practice and research moves onto the next phase, intermediate. More issues are being addressed (seem lines, decal silvering, etc.) and they are starting to produce a decent-looking model.

Next, they are onto advanced, having addressed the basics and starting to develop some impressive skills in some areas, increasing the realism.

Even further, move onto expert. When focused and concentrating, really doing impressive work, making high-quality models with the extra touches.

Even later, master. Being able to summon the skills to complete masterpieces seemingly effortlessly.

Finally, grandmaster, with skill of multiple disciplines (ships, figures, varying scales, lighting, etc.).
Last edited by slawton on Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm a modeler, not a doctor...

Introduction
Galleries: Member, Comparison, Fleet, Action, Manufacturer
WarpNein
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by WarpNein »

I think I'm a pretty good painter, both with ships and figures, although I haven't done a figure for a while. Airbrushing skin tones, shades and blushes takes a delicate hand. I've got a few figures lying around here somewhere.

I've yet to try lighting anything. I need a good kick in the ass to get into that.

Return to “General Trek”