Star Trek Discovery Trailer(New Trek Series in 2017)

For everything Star Trek related, that isn't covered by the other forums.
NCC1966
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Re: Star Trek Discovery Trailer(New Trek Series in 2017)

Post by NCC1966 »

Kremin wrote:There is a lot of mentioning that aerodynamics doesn't apply in space I agree however warp field dynamics could be used as a more than reasonable concept to say that some designs need a certain sweep to them to work not sure what the best word to use for it would be

Subspacedynamics
warpdynamics
I think that a Borg cube totally demystify it.

:mrgreen:
Thanks,

Yan.
Kremin
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by Kremin »

NCC1966 wrote:
Kremin wrote:There is a lot of mentioning that aerodynamics doesn't apply in space I agree however warp field dynamics could be used as a more than reasonable concept to say that some designs need a certain sweep to them to work not sure what the best word to use for it would be

Subspacedynamics
warpdynamics

Not at all you can make anything fly with enough raw power
NCC1966
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by NCC1966 »

Kremin wrote:
NCC1966 wrote:

Subspacedynamics
warpdynamics

Not at all you can make anything fly with enough raw power
Notice as we are making a lot of mistake here? Again we are using a concept that doesn't apply to space. No one "flies" in the space. Fly is the act of use the air as a support.

:lol:

But don't worry... I am just kidding with you. It's very normal to use terms and concepts like fly, aerodynamics, etc, when talking about starships even knowing that they don't apply.

:)

About the Borg I don't think that they just use 'force brute energy' to make their cubes sweep around. They aren't stupid. Actually they have the accumulated technology of thousands of species and therefore they are too much more advanced than humans. Trust me, if the Borg keep building their ships like cubes is because the shape doesn't make ANY difference in the travel performance!

;)
Thanks,

Yan.
Kremin
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by Kremin »

Ok so come up with a whole new vocabulary to describe space travel and all associated gubbins, meanwhile I'll just go over here and carry on with life. Language becomes bastardised and common usage of non applicable words or symbols is everywhere "do the hoovering" "Watch a video" save button is a floppy disk symbol and so on

Oh btw the way the ship travels through subspace and the shape of the field it generates to do so does affect speed, efficiency and damage to subspace/realspace so a streamlining of a hull to allow for a better field has been demnstrated in series so I can accept it is so
NCC1966
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by NCC1966 »

Kremin wrote:Ok so come up with a whole new vocabulary to describe space travel and all associated gubbins, meanwhile I'll just go over here and carry on with life. Language becomes bastardised and common usage of non applicable words or symbols is everywhere "do the hoovering" "Watch a video" save button is a floppy disk symbol and so on
Well, I won't do that because the series creators had been done it themselves. And the proper vocabulary does matter. If we are going to say that spaceships have to obey to aerodynamics and that they "fly" around, maybe it's better to start to call the nacelles as "turbines". Anyway, I don't want to make this a big thing but... I know that no one of us are spatial engineers but I don't mind to use a minimum of the correct jargon and respect the minimum of the concepts. I really don't mind if someone says a crazy babble about the structure inner a worm hole since there is no one information about this but mention aerodynamics in space is something that really hurts.
Kremin wrote:Oh btw the way the ship travels through subspace and the shape of the field it generates to do so does affect speed, efficiency and damage to subspace/realspace so a streamlining of a hull to allow for a better field has been demnstrated in series so I can accept it is so
I really never have seen anything about this.

:)

PS: I hope that you aren't taking it personal. Maybe is just my imagination but you seemed to get a bit upset. Hey, we are just talking here and this is only a lot of fun for me. I can stop arguing if you prefer though. Please let me know!

:thumbsup:
Thanks,

Yan.
Moongrim
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by Moongrim »

When it comes to inventing a new vocabulary, anything you come up to describe it is all 'hypothetical', as I only know of one physicist on AST.

And even then- Spacial Dynamics is an open field, who of us knows the math necessary to follow it, and knows it well enough to translate it to our level of comprehension?

That being said- Some of the equipment I work on IRL- involves equipment that is described as Space Modulation- which, according to the engineer who taught me it, doesn't exist.
There are Times, Sir, when men of good Conscience cannot blindly follow orders. You acknowledge their sentience, but ignore their personal liberties and freedoms. Order a man to hand over his child to the state? Not while I"m captain.
- J.L.Picard.
NCC1966
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by NCC1966 »

:goodpost:
Thanks,

Yan.
Tesral
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Tesral »

Moongrim wrote:Invariably the diehard fans HATE all new Trek.
As a diehard fan I object to that absolutism.
Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
"I saw it done on Voyager" is no excuse for anything, even breathing.
NCC1966
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by NCC1966 »

Tesral wrote:
Me too.
Thanks,

Yan.
el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by el gato »

Tesral wrote:
Always? :P
RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.

Return to “General Trek”