Star Trek Discovery Trailer(New Trek Series in 2017)

For everything Star Trek related, that isn't covered by the other forums.

Moongrim
Fatidical Fleet Admiral (CW)
Fatidical Fleet Admiral (CW)

Re: Star Trek Discovery Trailer(New Trek Series in 2017)

Post by Moongrim » Sat Jul 23, 2016 11:19 pm

The Discovery looks a helluva lot better than the Abrams Monstrosity.

Pardon my Deja Vu moment:

There are Times, Sir, when men of good Conscience cannot blindly follow orders. You acknowledge their sentience, but ignore their personal liberties and freedoms. Order a man to hand over his child to the state? Not while I"m captain.
- J.L.Picard.

Scotchyn
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by Scotchyn » Sat Jul 23, 2016 11:33 pm

Yes, ive always kinda liked the McQuarrie concept, i like this updated version myself...i like seeing a familiar yet unusal design used..they could have been safe and just gone w/the usual Fed design...of course to me though, its the cast that they come up with and the stories that will make or break for me

krt515
Lighting Fast Lieutenant JG
Lighting Fast Lieutenant JG

Post by krt515 » Sat Jul 23, 2016 11:49 pm

It kinda fits in with the USS Franklin design from STB. But...she's a bit of an ugly duckling IMO. Wonder if this is really the ship or just something to fire ppl up at SDCC?
Is that all you've got? A cheap trick and a cheesy one-liner?
Sweetheart, that could be the name of my autobiography.

TrekMD
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by TrekMD » Sun Jul 24, 2016 3:39 am

Apparently it is not a final design. We'll have to wait and see how they finalize her.
Medicus ad astra, non laedant...

FLEETYARD
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Post by FLEETYARD » Sun Jul 24, 2016 11:29 am

It seems that the storyline plays after TOS...

NCC1966
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by NCC1966 » Sun Jul 24, 2016 2:59 pm

Not really a trailer, more like a teaser to me. I liked the ship design, very dark. It kind of reminds me something Klingon or Romulan. I hope that the series follows this obscure style.

:)
Thanks,

Yan.

Ilithi Dragon
Erratic Ensign
Erratic Ensign

Post by Ilithi Dragon » Sun Jul 24, 2016 3:35 pm

Well, if the registry number and presence of Scott Bakula on the panel thing are any indication of the timeframe of the series, ST:Discovery would appear to be set circa 2200.

I still don't hold out any hope for a good Trek series - Trek has, unfortunately, fell into the hands of Hollywood cash cow milkers who don't understand or have any care for writing good sci-fi stories, and instead just fill the show with flashy gimmicks they think will hook the audience, in place of any real substance (does anyone remember that episode of Stargate SG-1 where they had the Wormhole Xtreme producer guy come in and spin a bunch of bogus, cheesey plot ideas, including one that was a straight rip-off of Trek? That guy is who has been controlling Trek for a while now). I have no hope held out that ST:Discovery has managed to escape their clutches.

However, I do have to admit to being somewhat intrigued. The design is a modernization of one of the Phase II study models, that ended up being used as background ships in a couple Spacedock scenes in ST:III, etc. That, coupled with a registry number of NCC-1031, which would put her launch/commissioning sometime around the year 2200, plus or minus a few years, says that they're trying to take existing ship designs that we've seen on-screen and back fill them into the big gaps of time we have little information on. That's promising to me, because I wrote an essay on the history of starfleet ship design a few years ago, trying to fill in all the gaps, and this particular design is one of the ships I tapped to be a late 22nd Century Heavy Cruiser, one of the main ships Starfleet used in the first few decades of its existence, after it started building its own, in-house designs.

Or it could be some whacky time period that has no consistency with the design or the registry number, and completely break with the lore, again. Like I said, not holding out any hope. But I am intrigued.

generalrose
Erratic Ensign
Erratic Ensign

Post by generalrose » Sun Jul 24, 2016 3:57 pm

I'm not a huge fan of the design of the USS Discovery, but I do have to say that I love the nacelles. I just wish that they were on pylons (like the McQaurrie design actually had for POTT) instead of just sort of hanging off the sides of the ship.

Scotchyn
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by Scotchyn » Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:11 pm

NCC1966 you are correct it is a teaser, must forgive my "sutheern merican" lol, reading some more of the interview...this is NOT the final design...it will be tweaked and changed...prob more just thrown together to show something at Comic Con more than anything else

Return to “General Trek”