Cool pic / artwork / video thread (Trek only)

For everything Star Trek related, that isn't covered by the other forums.
TrekMD
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Re: Cool pic / artwork / video thread (Trek only)

Post by TrekMD » Fri Nov 29, 2013 7:41 am

martok2112 wrote:Jaw has dropped! That's a mighty fine work there! :)
Clearly the closest ship is a different class of vessel. Whatever it is, it looks neat! :)
It is from one of the new episodes they are working on and it does look fantastic. The Enterprise also looks great.

Medicus ad astra, non laedant...

martok2112
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by martok2112 » Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:30 am

Yes, that Enterprise looks great too.

And ya' know, the K't'ingas in that image are kind of in-keeping with the timeline established in the novelization of Star Trek the Motion Picture. (And, come to think of it, the Motion Picture itself) Clearly the Klingons uprated their D-7's to K't'ingas before the Federation ever refit the Enterprise....such was Kirk's stating that StarFleet's assessment was that the K't'ingas were easily a match, or perhaps even more powerful than their Constitution class ships at the time. (at least until the Connies, starting with Enterprise, were refit) :)
Remember, you can't have gagh without "gag"! :D

Del
Starship Engineer
Starship Engineer

Post by Del » Fri Nov 29, 2013 3:06 pm

martok2112 wrote:Clearly the Klingons uprated their D-7's to K't'ingas before the Federation ever refit the Enterprise....
Except that K'Tingas are not refits, but entirely different ships which happen to follow the same shape of the D7, although slightly smaller. But I agree, the Klingons were upgrading their fleet prior to the Federation upgrading theirs.
Multi-Verse Models - http://www.mvmodels.biz or find me on Facebook
Retail sales of kits from Design Anomaly, Kessel Run Kits, NorthTrek Creations, Alternate Paradigms, and more!

martok2112
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by martok2112 » Fri Nov 29, 2013 9:23 pm

Thanks for the clarification, Del. :)
I don't know why, but I always took them for refits....but I suppose it makes more sense that they are just new warships. (The Klingon military budget is probably bigger than StarFleet's :) ) And since the D-7 was such a tried and true design, I guess no sense in ditching her usefulness....but still, just build a better (if not bigger) ship, and thus the K't'inga was born. :)

martok2112
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by martok2112 » Fri Nov 29, 2013 9:55 pm

For those who are curious, here are some semi-orthographic (I guess "perspective) views of my CG rebuild of my refit USS Enterprise:

Hope ya' like....it's part of my next video project: Enterprise vs K't'inga (both built by me :) )

TrekMD
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by TrekMD » Sat Nov 30, 2013 1:23 am

Those look fantastic!
Medicus ad astra, non laedant...

martok2112
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by martok2112 » Sat Nov 30, 2013 3:10 am

Most kind. Thank you. :)

Xen
Bear with me
Bear with me

Post by Xen » Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:42 am

Amazing work Martok! Keep them coming! :) This thread is meant to be more of a casual gallery, so if you want to start separate threads for your work that's fine as well. I'd love to take the credit for the pics I posted, but they're just pics I've saved during my Google Trekking.

martok2112
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by martok2112 » Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:05 am

Thank you, Xen. That is most kind. :)
Hey, I have an idea. I know that this board is largely about practical modeling (especially scale modeling)...but is there any chance that perhaps a CG modeling/animation subsection could be started? If not, I'll be happy to simply start my own thread per your kind suggestion.

The way I do my scales for my ships is pretty simple. In the case of my Star Trek capital ships, one square on the iClone grid (the program I use to finalize my starships) equals 50 meters. For actor scale ships, the smaller vessels, 1 square equals 1 meter. (Which works out perfectly, because the characters I use in iClone also scale well on the 1 to 1 meter system.

Which reminds me, I've done some full scale (in the virtual world that is) models of the classic Battlestar Galactica (from the 1978 show of the same name), and the Imperial Star Destroyer and CR-90 Corellian Corvette from Star Wars. It really is interesting when you see the camera scale out from a human size figure to take in the entirety of a Star Destroyer that is 16 full grid sections long. (Each grid is 100x100, so this is the 1 to 1 scale in the virtual world). I could easily scale up my Star Trek ships to Virtual 1 to 1, so that one can get a true appreciation for just how tiny a human being is, compared to these capital ships.

And you have great taste in Star Trek imagery. :)

zookman
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by zookman » Sat Nov 30, 2013 5:21 pm

wow those are great .. wish i knew how to do the 3d art stuff . ive got a coupel ships i would love to do this way but just dont have the know how . ive got a cad program i bought and can do 2d stuff but cant even do a simple 3d box lol tho i havnt messed with the 3d part yet other than read a lil of the inst. on it

Return to “General Trek”