Vulcan Shuttle Surak

For all other scales including 1/72, 1/537, 1/650 and Studio.
tdwi66
Lemme At Em Lieutenant
Lemme At Em Lieutenant

Re: Vulcan Shuttle Surak

Post by tdwi66 » Sat Oct 15, 2016 7:38 pm

I was finally able to get my masking issues for the docking collar resolved with a lot of help from folks out there in the community. With a combination of 3M green automotive masking tape, and a stencil I made to cut 3M blue tape, the results were quite nice! :D

Have a great weekend!

Tom

tdwi66
Lemme At Em Lieutenant
Lemme At Em Lieutenant

Post by tdwi66 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:39 am

Hi Guys,

I'm once again looking for your opinions. I'm now painting the detail on here using the painting guide in the Round 2 instructions. I mixed purple with light gray per the instructions, and I would to know if you think it looks too dark? If it does I may just switch to light ghost gray instead. I'm posting a couple of pictures, and please feel free to let me know what you think.

Thanks,

Tom

Tesral
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Tesral » Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:59 am

Lighter for sure.
Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
"I saw it done on Voyager" is no excuse for anything, even breathing.

Gidiot
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by Gidiot » Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:54 am

I agree, I think lighter would be a better combination.

tdwi66
Lemme At Em Lieutenant
Lemme At Em Lieutenant

Post by tdwi66 » Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:40 pm

Thanks for the feedback Guys!

I think the Tamiya Light Gray is much darker than the Model Master Round 2 recommends, and that's where the problem lies. I mixed a new batch with the Model Master light gray, and although it looks lighter, it's still dark. I made an executive decision that it's close enough for government work, and I'm going to go with it. I'm out of town for a couple of days so I can't post any updated pictures until the weekend. I was going for what Jim Small did for his buildup for Round 2, and I think I've come pretty close. Once I post more pictures you can let me know what you think.

Have a great weekend!

Tom

tdwi66
Lemme At Em Lieutenant
Lemme At Em Lieutenant

Post by tdwi66 » Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:41 pm

Thanks for the feedback Guys!

I think the Tamiya Light Gray is much darker than the Model Master Round 2 recommends, and that's where the problem lies. I mixed a new batch with the Model Master light gray, and although it looks lighter, it's still dark. I made an executive decision that it's close enough for government work, and I'm going to go with it. I'm out of town for a couple of days so I can't post any updated pictures until the weekend. I was going for what Jim Small did for his buildup for Round 2, and I think I've come pretty close. Once I post more pictures you can let me know what you think.

Have a great weekend!

Tom

tdwi66
Lemme At Em Lieutenant
Lemme At Em Lieutenant

Post by tdwi66 » Mon Oct 31, 2016 2:10 am

With the help of all of your feedback I repainted the purple/gray details along with the doors on the docking collar a lighter shade, and I think that I've got it looking pretty good. :D I'm posting some new pictures for you to see and let me know if you agree. Thanks for your feedback!

Have a great week!

Tom

Tesral
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Tesral » Mon Oct 31, 2016 2:39 am

Colorful.

I'm watching this as I have a pair of the beasts. An old one updated with the MM resin parts and a current one. As the new model has two sets of decals, one for a Starfleet shuttle and one for the Vulcan, each is getting one set.
Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
"I saw it done on Voyager" is no excuse for anything, even breathing.

tdwi66
Lemme At Em Lieutenant
Lemme At Em Lieutenant

Post by tdwi66 » Mon Oct 31, 2016 3:13 am

Thank you Sir! :D

I believe I know the MM resin set you are talking about. I would really like to see both versions when you are finished! I'm sure they'll both look great!

tdwi66
Lemme At Em Lieutenant
Lemme At Em Lieutenant

Post by tdwi66 » Wed Nov 02, 2016 2:29 am

Well, all of the painting is finally done! :D I've painted the four patches underneath the nacelles Model Master armor sand, and the front tips Tamiya purple mixed with just a touch of Tamiya light gray. I think it turned out just great, and I hope to start on the decals early next week. Here's one last pictures before I start on the decals.

Have a great week!

Tom

Return to “Misc”