Just another lighted Reliant 1/537... [ Not going to be updated any longer ]

For all other scales including 1/72, 1/537, 1/650 and Studio.
NCC1966
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Re: Just another lighted Reliant 1/537...

Post by NCC1966 » Sat Oct 08, 2016 7:22 pm

Finally the last part of progresses...

I started fixing a crap I did the other day. When I was airbrushing a small black detail I left some white spare parts spread over my workbench and guess what: yes, they all got splattered with tiny drops of black. Then I taped them onto a cardboard box, bring to the backyard and give them a couple layers of white with the rattle can. Problem solved.

And the grand finale was to mask and paint the intermediate blue of the outer side of the saucer. The masking wasn't as painful as I supposed it would and the result was quite satisfactory for my standards:

For the impulse circle I used the Tamiya tape for curves. It is tricky because it doesn't like to stay in place for so long when applied over a painted area, however it can be used if you do things quickly. Then I made all the masking and let it to the end. Then I prepared the paint, quickly masked the circle and immediately painted. A few minutes after the tape was already lifting from the plastic, but it remained time enough to allow me to do a good job.

;)
Thanks,

Yan.

Hossfly72
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by Hossfly72 » Sun Oct 09, 2016 4:30 am

All that was done with a rattlecan? You've got skills! Looks nice, thin, and smooth.
i don't know. I'm making it up as I go.

NCC1966
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by NCC1966 » Sun Oct 09, 2016 12:50 pm

Hossfly72 wrote:All that was done with a rattlecan? You've got skills! Looks nice, thin, and smooth.
Just the white base. I always use rattle cans for white. All the rest was airbrushed.

;)
Thanks,

Yan.

NCC1966
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by NCC1966 » Sun Oct 09, 2016 6:18 pm

A bit more progresses today...

Masked and painted some of the parts that goes in "duck egg blue". Actually it looks more like a "light water green" to me (I used the Model Master enamel) and it is really looking like the real deal in the pictures. Anyway, here it goes, first the top saucer:

And now the bottom saucer:

And finally some extra parts:

I still didn't remove the masks but as soon I do that I will post new pics!

:)
Thanks,

Yan.

NCC1966
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by NCC1966 » Sun Oct 09, 2016 6:21 pm

Also I brought the two nacelles to the backyard and "rattle canned" them in white. Here they are resting hung at the edge of my workbench:

After they dry I will check what else fix they still need -- for SURE there is still something to do... these nacelles are being a real nightmare!

Oh, and I forgot to show these ones yesterday... the phaser emitters and the pylons enclosures painted in intermediate blue!

Seems that things are going a bit faster now!

Thanks,

Yan.

NCC1966
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by NCC1966 » Sun Oct 09, 2016 7:39 pm

So, I removed the masks to check the result. Very nice and subtle as I supposed. Liked it. Some of you may strange the bottom saucer painted in duck egg blue since a few modelers prefer it in intermediate blue. In the instructions sheet they say to use "duck egg blue". I made some research before to lay the paint down on mine and have found both versions I noticed that the "duck egg blue" is the less preferred so I decided to go with it...

Here the "bridge ring" and the less noticeable box behind the bridge (don't know what is that) and the four little squares more in the background, everything in the same duck egg blue:

;)
Thanks,

Yan.

NCC1966
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by NCC1966 » Sun Oct 09, 2016 7:42 pm

The other day I showed the inner side of the saucer with the chrome tape and the raytheon drops but never posted a picture of how the effect should appear, so here it goes!

This is my first light project so I am still a bit shy... I just have these two big raytheon effects and suppressed the small ones (behind the bridge and aside the nacelles).

Thanks,

Yan.

Hossfly72
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by Hossfly72 » Sun Oct 09, 2016 11:01 pm

Very nice! Keep going. I want to see the next chapter.

Hossfly72
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by Hossfly72 » Sun Oct 09, 2016 11:04 pm

Oh! I just thought about something. The raised phaser bumps will cast a shadow if the flood light from the bridge shines across them. Two small elongated raindrop shaped strips of tape placed inside the saucer in front of them should give the impression of their shadows. I saw another build last year that did that. It's subtle, but effective in appearance.

NCC1966
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by NCC1966 » Mon Oct 10, 2016 2:56 am

Thanks for the tip Hossfly!

Thanks,

Yan.

Return to “Misc”