TOS Romulan BoP

For all other scales including 1/72, 1/537, 1/650 and Studio.
Tesral
Administrator
Administrator

Re: TOS Romulan BoP

Post by Tesral »

I'm looking forward to that big bird.
Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
"I saw it done on Voyager" is no excuse for anything, even breathing.
MSgtUSAFRet
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by MSgtUSAFRet »

Thank, Tesral, I am too!

Well, guys, I have a setback to report: The decals shredded as I tried to put them on.

Yes I scanned them but I don't have big enough paper to print it on. So, either I've got to buy more paper and try to print it again, or just get JTGraphics decals. Either way, I will have to wait for them to come in mail, so another delay! [Explicative deleted] JK!

Still it is frustrating. So for now, I will work on something else, probably the Galaxy Quest NSEA Protector!

Thanks for reading!

Steve
trekriffic
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by trekriffic »

Do you have liquid decal film? If not I'd suggest getting a bottle and brushing on a few coats before you soak your replacement decals. I've gotten into the habit of doing that for all decals no matter where there come from. It thickens and toughens them up to prevent fragmenting like you show in your photo.
"You broke your little ships."

My albums on flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/29607470@N08/sets/
MSgtUSAFRet
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by MSgtUSAFRet »

Thanks, Steve (trekriffic)! I have some Testors Decal sealant that I sprayed on my own that I printed. I didn't think to spray them on the stuff from the OEM. :oops: :cry:

Do you think the Testors spray is enough or would you recommend something else?

Thanks, again!

Steve
trekriffic
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by trekriffic »

MSgtUSAFRet wrote:Thanks, Steve (trekriffic)! I have some Testors Decal sealant that I sprayed on my own that I printed. I didn't think to spray them on the stuff from the OEM. :oops: :cry:

Do you think the Testors spray is enough or would you recommend something else?

Thanks, again!

Steve
Decal sealant's primary job is to keep the ink from running but you'd have to lay down many layers to create as thick of a coat as you get with the liquid decal film. It's the bottle to the right in this photo:

ImageMore Mircoscale Bottles by trekriffic, on Flickr

I say to thee... Get thee some!

MSgtUSAFRet
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by MSgtUSAFRet »

Good Day, Fellow Builders!

Steve (trekriffic) at this point getting the decal stuff, at least for this bird, is a moot point. Let me explain. No, no. That takes too long - let me sum up:

First, let me apologize for taking so long between posts. I was waiting on the after market decals from JT Graphics to arrive and, since I was at a "go no further" point in the build, there was nothing to post. Now I have something to post!! :roll:

I have ordered the decals from JT Graphics and they have finally come in! In my excitement, I had a moment of clear thinking and decided to do a dry fit to see how the decals would work with my modifications. Aaaaand it’s a good thing I did. :roll:

Things were going along swimmingly with the Dosal decals. With very slight modifications, they seemed to be laying on quite well.

However, when I tried to fit them to the ventral, I immediately had to start splicing. I commend the level of detail on the decals, but, apparently the decals were made for a model with a more pronounced forward sweep. :cry:

So, it is a good thing I ordered two sets. I was thinking I can splice a “column” of wings between the Bird’s body and the wing to fill the gap and use the tip of the wing to repeat up to the nacelle. I’ll press on and let you know how it turns out.

Although, a poster on another forum has suggested that I try and paint the bird on. It will certainly test much of my airbrushing, masking and patterning skills and push them to a new level. But, at this point, this course of action may be the best option. Can't say I look forward to this much detailing but, with this much modification, time, blood, sweat and tears into this build, again, it may be the only way to get the best result.

And to think this was supposed to be my “easy” build! :plasmagun:

Whaddayathink?

For the Praetor’s Glory!

Steve
trekriffic
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by trekriffic »

I did a dry fit too after xeroxing the JT Graphics decals. I had to do some slicing and dicing to get the decals to fit but I got it to work eventually. I agree with your assessment that these decals were meant for a model with wings exhibiting a more pronounced forward sweep.

Having said that, I think the trick for the big raptor decal for you would be to move the wings inward towards the body.
Take a look at this photo:

Rather than aligning the edge of the main hull with the longest feather's tip, like you show, I have the edge of the main hull aligning (approximately) with the root between the big feather and the one next to and outboard of it. This may not be technically correct as far as the filming miniature goes but it worked.

IMG_1233.JPG
I also has to play around with the nacelle decal by overlapping it with the end of the wing somewhat so it straddles the wingtip and the nacelle. Compromises had to be made certainly but I wasn't willing to to take the leap and try to paint the damn thing that was for sure.
Attachments
IMG_1221.JPG

MSgtUSAFRet
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by MSgtUSAFRet »

Steve (trekriffic) thanks for pointing out the finer, uhm...points of the decals! I did use your builds (both that I could find) as inspiration for my own so I can't believe I missed that detail. :oops:

I had thought the nacelle "feathers" were on the outside the nacelles rather than underneath. Another poster has also pointed out the the Wai Chang model also had the nacelle feathers closer to the underside than the side of the nacelles.

While painting is not off the table yet, I do still have to make the masks which involves the printing and cutting the decals to make the pattern, I will try and re-position the decals to see if I can get a better fit. I can only hope they will turn out as well as your's.

Thanks for dropping by, reading and commenting!

LLAP!

Steve
Attachments
Wai Chang TOS Rom BoP.jpg
Wai Chang TOS Rom BoP.jpg (43.85 KiB) Viewed 4889 times
MSgtUSAFRet
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by MSgtUSAFRet »

I did a little more sussing out of the decals. I followed Steve's advice and moved the decals closer in and, for the nacelle portion, underneath.

I gonna try splicing the decals together first following the K.I.S.S. principle. I will have to be very careful with trimming them as I want to achieve the painted on look and not have to stack the decals on top of each other. Failing that I will paint the bird on using my paper copied forms as a pattern. I am definitely going to scan a copy of the decals and get them laser printed, ya know, just in case.

Thanks for helping me through the process. I hope to be able to do something this weekend. I'll keep ya posted!

COMMANDER: Perhaps we can yet save your Praetor's pride for him.

Thanks for following along and for your invaluable input!

Steve
MSgtUSAFRet
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by MSgtUSAFRet »

This Bird doesn't seem to want to get painted. :/

I put the dorsal decals on and they went on with little difficulty!

I turned the ship over to work on the ventral and the body of the bird with on very well as did one side of the wing.

But when I started trying to splice it together, the printing on the decals didn't allow for seamless splicing and caused an unacceptable pattern between them.

So after a couple of frustrating hours trying to splice the decals, I decided the best solution was to attempt to paint the Bird on. Again, this will tax my understand in airbrushing and masking as well as painting.

I cleaned off the ventral of the decals for a clean pallet on which to begin.

Sorry to extend the thread I had hoped to close this week, but it looks like I will have to cut masks, paint and then hand draw the outlines of the feathers back on with a paint pen. The white will also be an issue. I will have to precisely place them in the black. I am thinking of using acrylics as I have a boat load of them in my wife's painting stash to create the bird. The sticky part is paint matching the color! Joy!

Well wish me luck as I explore strange new worlds and chart unknown spaces! ;D

Thanks for reading and commenting! Any tips would be appreciated!

Steve

Return to “Misc”