My last purchases... TOS Enterprise + Arduino

For all other scales including 1/72, 1/537, 1/650 and Studio.
NCC1966
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

My last purchases... TOS Enterprise + Arduino

Post by NCC1966 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 3:02 pm

I have an old Ertl 1/650 TOS Enterprise kit in my closet, so I was looking for a smaller one for a fair price. Then I won an auction at eBay a couple days ago and picked this 1/1000 babe for $8. Unfortunately the shipping was $22 so it costed $30 total what is still a good price for me if the customs doesn't screw me when it arrives:

Also, to step into the spaceship lighting world I bought an Arduino board, a breadboard and some wiring to give it a shot for as little as $5 total (a bargain). The board is similar to this one (the only difference is that the one I bought has an SMD chip in the place of the huge IC):

:mrgreen:
Last edited by NCC1966 on Wed Jun 22, 2016 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thanks,

Yan.

MEATLOAFr
Resolute Rear Admiral (UH)
Resolute Rear Admiral (UH)

Re: My last purchases...

Post by MEATLOAFr » Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:46 pm

I will be following this build... I want to see more about using the Arduino board

I have a collection of 555 chips, and want to see if this is easier than they are
If the world ends tomorrow, it's ALL YOUR FAULT!!!

Custom Decals, and Vinyl Cutting services available
NOW PRINTING WHITE DECALS
E-Mail direct to my [USERNAME] @ GMAIL account for Decals & Vinyl services

NCC1966
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by NCC1966 » Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:07 pm

MEATLOAFr wrote:I will be following this build... I want to see more about using the Arduino board

I have a collection of 555 chips, and want to see if this is easier than they are
Well the arduino won't be for this Enterprise. I think that those 1/1000 kits are too small for lighting since my strained eyes and clumsy hands won't help. My idea is to start playing with arduino at the workbench top in separate to see how it goes and if it works then the idea is to buy a bigger model to implement it. I have an old 1/650 TOS Enterprise kit that could be a good starting point... although it does NOT have the round tip of the nacelles in clear plastic... perhaps I would just illuminate some windows and put on a couple navigation lights. Not a bad start at all.

:roll:

I have also ordered a few 4060 chips that seem to be way easier to deal with than the 555. They are my backup plan although I hope not to need to use it. If the Arduino works as it promises it will open a wide world of possibilities. The only draw back of Arduinos IMO is that it may be puzzling for whose never have stepped into the coding realm. For such people that has a deep knowledge in electronics it may be better to keep with the pure electronics. In my case I am complete dumb when the subject comes to electronic circuits and mostly of my attempts (even small projects) tends to fail miserably. Now if I can have a basic circuit that can be controlled with a few lines of code then it will be a whole new story for me!

Last edited by NCC1966 on Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thanks,

Yan.

NCC1966
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by NCC1966 » Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:25 pm

My TOS Enterprise arrived FAST. I tracked it through the Brasil PO Service and it's already here. However... customs catch me. Again. Last time was with my Ent-E.

:cry:

I just hope that they be as fair as they did with the Ent-D and charge me a small fee.

:?
Thanks,

Yan.

NCC1966
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by NCC1966 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 4:58 pm

I picked my kit yesterday (PL TOS 1/1000) and fortunately the customs didn't screwed me too much. They charged something around $9 so I can live with it. The kit is too much more better than I supposed. Very well molded with lots of parts for such scale. It comes with parts to make one of the FOUR versions (pilot 1, pilot 2, production series and mirror universe). I am going to make the production series version.

Also it came with with a nice big decal sheet AND two clear plastic stickers sheets. They say that the stickers are for "the modeler that doesn't feel comfortable with water slide decals".

I shall use the water slide decals but will be very happy to keep the extra stickers for a future kit bash or scratch building! It's really a great bonus!

;)
Last edited by NCC1966 on Wed Jun 22, 2016 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thanks,

Yan.

NCC1966
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Re: My last purchases... TOS Enterprise + Arduino

Post by NCC1966 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 5:05 pm

By the way, I just checked one of my mail tracking numbers and figured out that my arduino stuff has arrived and is awaiting for me at my PO box. Actually it is not the stuff I bought in eBay, because it still will take at least a couple months until it gets here, so since I didn't want to await for this and bought another set of arduino at an online Brazilian store near to me. It wasn't as cheap as the eBay stuff but still cheap enough: around $10 for the card, breadboard and a bunch of wires. I will pick it tomorrow morning and will start making some LEDs to flash!

Thanks,

Yan.

MSgtUSAFRet
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by MSgtUSAFRet » Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:27 pm

I have one of these in my stash and, from what I can tell, is very accurate!

I will be following your build and am very interested in how you will be lighting this model!

Good Luck!

Steve

NCC1966
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by NCC1966 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:41 pm

MSgtUSAFRet wrote:I have one of these in my stash and, from what I can tell, is very accurate!

I will be following your build and am very interested in how you will be lighting this model!

Good Luck!

Steve
I am not sure that I will light this Enterprise as the model is too small for this. Well, not quite, actually I think that I have not the skills to do that in such scale. However I have another TOS Enterprise (the old 1/600 from AMT very similar to yours) that can be a candidate. Also I have an 1/537 Reliant on the way (bought it from someone yesterday) that for sure will be lighted. In the meantime I will just learn how to make LEDs to flash with arduino!

I will share my progresses here in forum!

:)
Thanks,

Yan.

Return to “Misc”