1/537 Bozeman

For all other scales including 1/72, 1/537, 1/650 and Studio.
andyh
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

1/537 Bozeman

Post by andyh »

Many years ago (about 10), 1/537 scale was my favourite scale. The other day, I realised that despite this, I never actually finished a 1/537 scale model (unless you count the cutaway 22inch TOS Enterprise kit as 1/537). I decided to pull out all my old 1/537 scale "half" built kits to finish them off.

First off, is the USS Bozeman build.

I started by lifting the two halves of the primary hull to the correct height. I had to scratch build a new rear panel, impulse engine and shuttle bay doors. The parts I made to lift the hull up ended up being sold by Federation models and are still available. For the Bozeman, I didn't need the middle section, so I cut it out.

I also scratch built a lower and upper bridge and B/C deck. You can see where I've fixed the detail at the rear of the saucer so it is flat rather than following the dish of the lower saucers curvature. Detail still needs to be added here. I'm not sure if you can tell in the pics, but the nacelle pylons have been made slightly thicker as well, which allows for the vent detailing in the front and rear of the pylon,to be achieved. The lower warp core crystal part is also scratch built. I don't remember why I did this, but I vaguely remember seeing a reference of the Bozeman and this area did look a bit different to the Reliant's one, from memory.

Why the red sensor thingy you ask? This is what stalled me on this build. I had made a more accurate part to replace these things (I cast this one in red whilst using up some spare resin once), but I had only done this side and not the other. This is the first job I'll have to do, making a matching part for the other side. Sorry about the comparison shot, the grey one is from another build (the Saratoga...which I'll show a bit later) and it is so covered in dust, you can hardly see what I've done to fix this area. If you know where to look, you will see the differences though.

Way back then, we only had Jeff Pollizotto's Vacuform kit to go off, and whilst, for it's day, it was a great kit. Jeff's work was even the more impressive because of the total lack of good reference pictures of the Bozeman -which is still the case, even to this day! I decided to take a leap of faith and assumed that the Bozeman had the very same outboard pod mounts as the USS Saratoga (which, we had plenty of good reference pictures for). So I scratch built some outboard pod mounts using the Saratoga references.

It was about this time in the build, that I started corroborating with another modeller and did some small amount of work on the upper and lower pod mounting pylons, but the rear hull extension is pretty much 99% someone else's work (I might have added the odd detailing bit here and there). All of these parts went on the become the "Alliance" models Boseman conversion kit.

I pulled out of the "Alliance" project at this point (for three reasons- One: I stopped modelling due to health concerns. Two: My input wasn't really needed any more as the Alliance model kit was nearly complete, and Three: I didn't like how the 4 outboard pods were looking on the kit. They looked way too fat to me (as was the vaccuform kit predecessor). If you look at the few pictures available of the USS Boseman, the outboard pods look no thicker than the Saratoga's outboard pods/tubular sensor thingies (the upper and lower pods seem to be thicker though). Therefor, this is where I need to now concentrate my efforts....building some outboard pods which look aesthetically correct to both my eyes, and the few screen shots available of the studio model.

https://www.universostartrek.com/USS-Boz ... C-1941.jpg

pretty much every reference pic of the Boseman in existence in one photo :)

https://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/mem ... -prefix=en
el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Re: 1/537 Bozeman

Post by el gato »

Go Andy go! This is an awesome thread.

BTW, are those sensor pod thingies really that different (the one that you cast in red)? This is not a criticism of the work you have invested in it so far, which is impressive. I'm just thinking in terms of which parts the SPFX people would have concentrated on changing if the script called for a new class of vessel and they only had so much money to spend and so much time to invest in creating something new. The changes in the sensor pod thingies are much too subtle for the SPFX people to have thought to have spent any time modifying from one class to another. They would have spent more of their time with the bigger, more substantive changes to the Miranda model so that it looked truly different.
RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.
DefiantClient
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by DefiantClient »

Loving this thread. Keep up the good work Andy.
andyh
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by andyh »

El Gato, no they aren't different in all the Miranda variants, the problem is in the detail on the AMT Reliant kit (at least the old version, not sure if it was fixed on the repop). In other words, the new parts I made are suitable for any Miranda build up ;)
Last edited by andyh on Fri May 13, 2016 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by el gato »

Ah, gotcha. You didn't want a variant piece, you wanted one that looked closer to the filming model. Well, then it makes sense why you worked on a more accurate part.

Get it? Accurate part?

Ha ha ha. Good times ;)
RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.
Max Nex
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Post by Max Nex »

it's looking good so far.

may I ask what you are going to do with the removed impulse engine area?
I can use it if you still have it and do need it for something else. :)
andyh
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by andyh »

Max Nex wrote:it's looking good so far.

may I ask what you are going to do with the removed impulse engine area?
I can use it if you still have it and do need it for something else. :)
I still have it after all these years I think. I thought I saw it in my Reliant "bit's and pieces" box last time I was rifling through it. I'm away from home for a week and if I find it when I get home, it's all yours ;)

Andy
Max Nex
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Post by Max Nex »

Thanks , Andy :thumbsup:
andyh
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by andyh »

Max Nex wrote:Thanks , Andy :thumbsup:
When I'm back home on the weekend I'll pm you for your address.

Hey, while I've been away, I picked up another Reliant kit and when I opened it to check the parts, I realised/remembered that I must have re-scribed the grid lines on the top of the saucer on the Bozeman build up.
Last edited by andyh on Tue May 24, 2016 1:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Gidiot
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by Gidiot »

looking sweet there Andyh!

I can't wait to check this as it moves along!!!

Return to “Misc”